IGNORED

Hillsdale College

47of74

Got this in the email today. 
236F9CA8-20EA-4219-9992-C5BD79FB8C48.thumb.jpeg.b0917b330b6c3f397aa84d629d56e190.jpeg

I don’t feel like spending the money to find out what their interpretation of the Constitution is. I somehow doubt I could sit through a session without throwing something at the TV or spending the entire time saying yeah that’s not in there.  That would be so many hours if my life I’d never get back too. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

This college takes no federal money so they get away with some unusual approaches. I knew a fundie lite girl who went there. Seems like the students are from very conservative religious backgrounds and marry young. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Hillsdale College as it is today makes me very sad. It used to be a garden-variety small American Baptist college, and one of my (previous generations) family members was college president there for about a decade. I think it was in the 1980s that it got taken over by the ultra conservative faction.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

On 12/23/2020 at 12:28 AM, VVV said:

Hillsdale College as it is today makes me very sad. It used to be a garden-variety small American Baptist college, and one of my (previous generations) family members was college president there for about a decade. I think it was in the 1980s that it got taken over by the ultra conservative faction.

What you’re saying here reminds me of a documentary one of us mentioned about how the Southern Baptist Convention (not to be confused with the American Baptist Convention, which tends to skew more liberal) got taken over by right wing antifeminist types starting in the ‘80s. It was on YouTube and I wish I could find it again!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 12/26/2020 at 4:04 PM, Hane said:

What you’re saying here reminds me of a documentary one of us mentioned about how the Southern Baptist Convention (not to be confused with the American Baptist Convention, which tends to skew more liberal) got taken over by right wing antifeminist types starting in the ‘80s. It was on YouTube and I wish I could find it again!

Is this it ?  Just trying to be helpful .  

Spoiler

On 12/26/2020 at 3:04 PM, Hane said:

Very similar but the SBC takeover actually started in the late 1970s. My childhood church was dually aligned ABC/SBC, and the takeover was a long-standing source of consternation for my parents. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

@VVV, you’re right—it was the ‘70s, and IIRC, it was in large part a reaction to feminism and the pro-ERA movement.

• Upvote 5

My mother had been raised Southern Baptist, been active in the Baptist Student Union when she was at Berea and she and my were pretty active in their SBC church.  When it turned fundie, my parents became Methodists.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

The Baptist church in my town(I have no idea what flavor; it’s the same one where I had my “believers’ baptism)is now a Calvary Chapel.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago, a friend linked to me a free series Hillsdale College was doing about C.S. Lewis. I like C.S. Lewis and also like free things, so I put in my info to view it. I *still* to this day get actual mail from them. I have no idea how to stop it. Somehow they've followed me through THREE moves over 10 years even though I've never notified them, they somehow get my address. I am SO embarrassed to get weird right-wing mail addressed to me. Maybe I should post the next newsletter here. It's usually about Trump these days. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, meep said:

Maybe I should post the next newsletter here. It's usually about Trump these days. 

I beg you not to........Channel 9 Please GIF by The Block

• Haha 7

On 12/23/2020 at 9:01 AM, gustava said:

And the former prez had an affair with his daughter-in-law who committed suicide....IIRC.

There was an early episode of Law and Order SVU that must have been inspired by this.  

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the December issue of Imprimis (the physical newsletter). I won't post it here but I guess I know where fundies are getting their ideas of the U.S. becoming like the novel 1984! The president of the college spent the majority of the letter explaining how China is just like 1984 and American is becoming more like China. He mentioned how back in November (?), he went to the 1776 thing, which he praises. He says kids these days - because of the 1619 project - associate the history of the USA with slavery and that that's historically incorrect (???). And kids only learn the Thomas Jefferson is a slaveholder and teachers don't explain that "he was A cOmPLiCaTeD mAn." At the back of it, they encourage people to donate their stocks to Hillsdale college. lmao. 

The header boats of "over 5.6 million subscribers." Wonder if that's true. 

You can read the newsletter on the Imprimis website (blog?), it's split up into articles. But I doubt anyone wants to waste their time like I do. ?

• Thank You 4
  • Love 1

On 1/21/2021 at 11:10 AM, meep said:

The header boats of "over 5.6 million subscribers." Wonder if that's true. 

I'm sure it is, because they count 'subscribers' like  yourself, lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, katilac said:

Once they get you, they'll never let go!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 1/23/2021 at 1:20 PM, katilac said:

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. ?

• Haha 7
  • Love 1

• 10 months later...

For some reason, I got the October newsletter now. The big article is by John R Lott Jr who is the head of an organization called the Crime Prevention Research Center and has held research and teaching positions at places like Yale, Stanford, and U of Chicago. It says he served under Trump as Senior Advisor for Research and Statistics at the dept of justice, apparently he studied voter fraud while in this position. 

He points out how in the past, there have been bipartisan efforts to implement voting measures such as voter I.D. and he infers some democrats are hypocritical for taking part in these activities in the past and then distancing themselves from it during the past 4 years. He addresses the fact that we are behind Europe in implementing voter I.D. but he makes zero mention of the fact that it is a much more complicated feat for the U.S. He claims "ballot harvesting" (buying votes through absentee ballots, from what I can understand) is increasingly common. Calls the H.R. 1 bill "radical." Questions if democrats who think voter I.D. is undemocratic then also think European countries are therefore undemocratic. 

There's another article in here from a Faux News contributor but reading one article was exhausting enough, but it's something about democrats stealing (my word, not hers) the election through/accompliced by FB. 

Any thoughts?

Honestly I'm surprised they are still harping on about this but I guess I shouldn't be. 

• Sad 1

All I know is that’s the college the Stockdales let one of their boys attend. The Stockdales were extremely controlling so that’s all I need to know about the college. If it was ok with ma Stockdale, it’s probably not ok with me. 

• Upvote 1