IGNORED

Lamplighter books--anything good in there?

AnnoDomini

I just realized I've been confusing the Lamplighter publishing with VF. I've not heard LL discussed here--are they fundy?

Also, I saw a Dobson book at the library--it was on raising adolescent girls. Would any of you brave souls (if you believe in souls that is) dare to read it?

I just realized I've been confusing the Lamplighter publishing with VF. I've not heard LL discussed here--are they fundy?

Also, I saw a Dobson book at the library--it was on raising adolescent girls. Would any of you brave souls (if you believe in souls that is) dare to read it?

What was it called? If my library has it I can give it a shot. I actually made it about 2/3 of the way through "Bringing Up Boys" before I got tired of reading the repeated tirade of "ebil feminists, gayz, working and single mothers, and librulz!"

My mum has just about the whole collection, I think. I haven't read any in a loooong time, so I may be a bit off on my recollections...they were well-written, in the effusive, flowery style of the late 1800's/early 1900's. There was an emphasis on spiritual growth, and doing good works. And at least two ("Wide, Wide World" & sequel) had Elsie-Dinsmore-ish submission (a teenage orphan girl to her overbearing relatives). Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading them...but my reading preferences have changed since then :)

Natalie Klejwa of Visionary Womanhood is a big fan. She recommends saving your pennies to buy Lamplighter books instead of going to the evil public library.

I used to like Lamplighter books until I found out that they have edited at least a few of them. In The Lamplighter they removed most of the romance, and in The Hidden Hand, they added extra "christian" stuff at the end. I imagine they've done it to the other books too.

I surmise this is the print department of Lamplighter radio dramas? I used to listen to them and found them entertaining, but then I'm a total radio nerd. None of them were Christian IMHO, just moralistic. When I realized they were associated with Vision Forum, I couldn't enjoy them in the same way.

Well I found dobsons book on girls at my library (and one on preparing for adolescence) so I'll see how far I get and report back.

I used to like Lamplighter books until I found out that they have edited at least a few of them. In The Lamplighter they removed most of the romance, and in The Hidden Hand, they added extra "christian" stuff at the end. I imagine they've done it to the other books too.

I haven't read any of the Lamplighter books, but I'd been curious about them. If you check our their website, it's obvious that they edit the books. I think if one of their books caught my fancy, I'd try to track down a used, non-Lamplighter version so I could get the original.

So Lamplighter IS sorta related to VF. Ok that explains my confusion.

I read the Kingdom books by David and Karen Mains, have them and still love them.

When I first started homeschooling, my sister was kind enough to get me a sub. to Focus on the Family magazine. If the books are anything like those, you don't want to read it. :)

Archived