IGNORED

Amusing CollegePlus propganda video

lilah

Created by a SAHD(?) to promote CollegePlus as a an alternative to those evil mainstream colleges that might force you to take distribute classes that (gasp!) make you a more well rounded student or shock! Horror! force you to pay tuition for activities you don't participate in (much like those evil taxes that pave roads in states you've never visited or schools your children will not attend)

Weird thing is that I found out this was a part of CollegePlus's essay competition (they had video and written essays). The girl didn't win a scholarship but you can watcht he videos and read the essays of the winners here http://www.collegeplusDOTorg/scholarship/the-winners

This is an amazing find! If only I'd realized I could do college on a velour barcalounger in a cinder block basement, there's no way I would have chosen a historic campus with Gothic architecture.

evil mainstream colleges that might force you to take distribute classes that (gasp!) make you a more well rounded student or shock! Horror!

I saw that video a few weeks ago and this was the part that really ticked me off. How DARE a math major want to take a class in psychology or Shakespeare. As previously stated: HORRORS!!!!!

NO accredited college is going to grant students a degree without breadth requirements. Mine had seven. Worth every penny as I once watched an engineering major draw infinite parabolas on a graph to explain how SHE experienced Emily Dickinson. Ain't gonna get that sort of bizarre cross-pollination of ideas with College Minus-, Missy.

The sad thing is that they are marketing college education to a community of people who really don't value education. Period. They might as well be a diploma mill.

The irony is that Boob and his pals over at Gothard HQ (and CP...don't think they are marketing strictly to ATI grads, just homeschoolers in general) are making money hand over fist with these scams of "education."

The sad thing is that they are marketing college education to a community of people who really don't value education. Period. They might as well be a diploma mill.

Plus it costs more.

It looks like the girl put a lot of effort into the video. It also shows her naivete and ignorance of college education (administrators may be making $75k!!!!! you may have to take classes that offers breadth of education!!!!)

Sadly, I heard these sentiments in many places, not just the SAHD or fundie circles. Alot of people believe college should be tailored like tradeschool where one is specifically trained for a specific function. Good thing the world sees benefit in combining traditionally disparate subjects like biology and math, linguistics and engineering, medicine and physics.....

Wow. A young girl who has never set foot on a college campus first claims to know how it works, then makes great claims about life after college.

I'm not exactly a fan of debt, but I find my college debt to be worthwhile and liveable. Student loans are among the most forgiving and easiest to delay. If someone chooses not to get medical care in order to make a student loan payment, they're making really bad choices. Deferment and Forbearance are always options. That doesn't make the debt go away but it does allow you to take a breather and catch up or be relieved of those payments in hard times. Mine are in forbearance right now. For all the people I know with school debt, none has delayed marriage or other life passages because of the loans. I know it's something to consider when budgeting and planning, but if people waiting until their school loans were paid off, no one would buy houses until their 30's, 40's or even later.

The scare tactics, and complete misunderstanding of the world, kind of astond me. Make up the worst possible scenario, claim it is the norm and market your entire product/service on that extreme. Oh, and don't forget to get uneducated, inexperienced kids to join the campaign.

And weirdly enough CLEP has hybrid programs for English/Medicine in case you want to be a fundie CNA who can quote Dante.... I guess they occasionally see the value of distributed learning?

I think the really weird thing is that at some point in the world of College Minus you still have to transfer everything to a real school to graduate with a degree. So even taking away the fact that most schools only accept so many CLEP/transfer credits but you'd still have to take distributive credits to graduate. You might possibly attend a school with evil administrators who are making 75,000 a year. oh and many schools charge to take the CLEP test, uber-Christian Liberty Univeristy)

I suppose the argument for College Minus is that fundie families are reaping what they've sown, and what has been sown by IBLP/ATI/Vision forum. Toeing the party line has meant Lots of Kids + Family business + super frugality = not a lot of money, if any for college. I think IBLP/ATI/Vision is painting itself into a corner because it makes a huge profit out of shilling products, training courses and retreats to a clientele that is increasingly too poor to afford it and chances are the next generation won't either with a subpar education and a shitty economy.

I LOLed at her horror of administrative salaries. I work at a school, and from what I've seen, the upper administration work like dogs. I do too at times. I've had weeks where I work at such a fast pace that my fingers go numb and I'm nearly hyperventilating with anxiety by the end of the day.

I LOLed at her horror of administrative salaries. I work at a school, and from what I've seen, the upper administration work like dogs. I do too at times. I've had weeks where I work at such a fast pace that my fingers go numb and I'm nearly hyperventilating with anxiety by the end of the day.

Agreed. The administrator for my graduate department was the closest thing to a miracle worker I have ever seen. That woman could have made the earth turn backwards, if she'd had the time to stop.

I went to the CollegePlus website and took one of their tests. I was surprised to see some actual poetry on the English test (Dickinson) but they threw in as much religious stuff as they possibly could. And the History test seemed to have more than one question on religion/popes/etc. Do you think the Duggar kids actually know what The Spanish Inquisition or The Renaissance is?

I suppose the argument for College Minus is that fundie families are reaping what they've sown, and what has been sown by IBLP/ATI/Vision forum. Toeing the party line has meant Lots of Kids + Family business + super frugality = not a lot of money, if any for college. I think IBLP/ATI/Vision is painting itself into a corner because it makes a huge profit out of shilling products, training courses and retreats to a clientele that is increasingly too poor to afford it and chances are the next generation won't either with a subpar education and a shitty economy.

Within a generation its going to be very hard for these kids to be successful. Their parents had "real" educations from people who were mostly qualified in the subject. The kids only had SOTDRT and now college plus. As a recipient of a very good liberal arts education I can think of many times where I have had to use knowledge "outside of my major" to succeed in life. They're handicapping their kids and they dont even know it.

I really wished she would take off that jacket and put her hair behind her shoulders.

Watching that video made me really glad for my parents who want to spend the money for me to take International Relations this summer even though I don't need if for my degree and I already have more elective credits than I need, because they're the kind of people who think that part of college is just enjoying learning about things you find interesting, even if you don't "need" too.

I saw that video a few weeks ago and this was the part that really ticked me off. How DARE a math major want to take a class in psychology or Shakespeare. As previously stated: HORRORS!!!!!

NO accredited college is going to grant students a degree without breadth requirements. Mine had seven. Worth every penny as I once watched an engineering major draw infinite parabolas on a graph to explain how SHE experienced Emily Dickinson. Ain't gonna get that sort of bizarre cross-pollination of ideas with College Minus-, Missy.

OMG.... I have a math degree, and gasp, took as many classes outside my major as possible, partially to keep my sanity and partially because while I wanted to be a math teacher, I also wanted to know things that one might not be able to quantify or express through symbolism that many people cannot or are unwilling to understand.

The scare tactics, and complete misunderstanding of the world, kind of astond me. Make up the worst possible scenario, claim it is the norm and market your entire product/service on that extreme. Oh, and don't forget to get uneducated, inexperienced kids to join the campaign.

Does anyone know that history behind these college- fear-monger-conartists? I'm thinking of looking into it myself...

I think the college at home thing spawned fromt the homeskooling phenomenon. Often kids that were homeschooled had a hard time going off to college (or the parents couldnt deal with their absense), so it became logical to just keep it at home... enter the dollar whores...

That was pitifully, pitifully sad.

If your college debt from learning things means you can't get help when you're sick this isn't your failure for learning stuff. It's an absolutely epic failure of the economic system we call capitalism.

If you think you should never have to know anything not 100 percent related to the subject you study at college, it's an absolutely epic failure of the human mind and natural curiosity.

Archived