IGNORED

Booklet: Christian modesty the public undressing of America

notsocommon

Stumbled on this....
enjoy! 

http://chapellibrary.org:81/pdf/books/cmod.pdf
I enjoyed the commentary on the history of bathing suits. I also giggled a little that the author was clearly upset at the erasure of male body hair in films in the 1930s, calling it 'effeminate'. Sounds like a man with a lot of body hair talking.
Thanks for the gem!

Vision Forum published a little 75 page book with that exact title in 2003; Jeff Pollard was the author.  

9 hours ago, sleepy_doggos said:

I also giggled a little that the author was clearly upset at the erasure of male body hair in films in the 1930s, calling it 'effeminate'.

My brother was a competitive swimmer all the way through college. I grew up around guys who started shaving off body hair at the age of 8 in hopes of taking another hundredth of a second off their times. As  result, I've always found body hair to look odd and rather sloppy. 

An interesting read for sure. It shows the rigidity of fundamentalist logic and edicts. Everything is considered through the lens of sex and lust. The main idea seems to be that because some men (all men according to pamphlet?) have sex on the brain women shouldn't have any joy or freedom, even with something as seemingly innocent as swimming. CONTROL is the name of the game. Thanks for posting. 

On 10 January 2019 at 6:03 AM, sleepy_doggos said:

I enjoyed the commentary on the history of bathing suits. I also giggled a little that the author was clearly upset at the erasure of male body hair in films in the 1930s, calling it 'effeminate'. Sounds like a man with a lot of body hair talking.

Why so dismissive? I haven't read the original, but talking about how media images can be problematic is a valuable thing to do (though my concern wouldn't be "effeminiteness"). I don't like how women's body hair has been pretty much erased from media, and as a consequence many people think body hair at all is in some way "abnormal". I would be disappointed if someone dismissed the conversation about this as "must be hairy women talking."

Why so dismissive? I haven't read the original, but talking about how media images can be problematic is a valuable thing to do (though my concern wouldn't be "effeminiteness"). I don't like how women's body hair has been pretty much erased from media, and as a consequence many people think body hair at all is in some way "abnormal". I would be disappointed if someone dismissed the conversation about this as "must be hairy women talking."
You know, that's a great question and I hadn't considered it. I'm going to chew on it and write you answer later.

Archived