IGNORED

Fungus infects cicadas with psilocybin

Howl

I have to put this is the science is wonderful and truth is stranger than fiction categories! Cicadas can be infected with the Massospora fungal parasite while they are in the underground phase, which can last 13 - 17 years.  The parasite eats away at the back end of cicada, but infected cicadas that hatch zip around trying to mate and do cicada things once they emerge, even though missing the back third of their bodies!   It turns out that Massospora produce psilocybin AND methampetamine.   

From The Atlantic: 

This Parasite Drugs Its Hosts With the Psychedelic Chemical in Shrooms  It also makes their butts fall off.

People eating cicadas in hopes of getting high is going to be a thing now, isn't it? :mellow:

@Cartmann99 Oh Rufus. Probably. Kids need less bright ideas.

Poor little bugs. They have a set rhythm in the universe. This is just so sad and weird...and funny. But I hope it isn’t bad long term, like the bees (I haven’t read the article yet.)

I hadn't heard of cicadas until our daughter moved to Nashville ten years ago.  One visit, we saw posters and articles, "The Cicadas Are Coming! The Cicadas Are Coming!"  It was so interesting (but annoying) to see them emerging and flying all over.  I'm pretty sure I'll plan to be away from Nashville should any of the high versions awaken from their sleep cycle. 

Thanks for the warning!

Would you say they " tripped their asses off?"  Is that where the saying comes from?  Lol

Poor lil fellas. They are beautiful to listen too, reminds me childhood summers. : ) 

I remember seeing a post on the Maxwell blog about the 17-year cicadas. I don’t remember when it’s from, though.

12 hours ago, Kailash said:

Wild. Nature is amazing. And sad. 

And also raises the point that basic research is important! So much more to be learned! 

Archived