IGNORED

8 Year Old Girl Killed by Train After Mother Tells her to Crawl Under it

PumaLover

I might dox myself a little bit but this happened last night in the city that I'm from. Fresno, California is a large city in Central California and there are a lot of pedestrian/train accidents yearly. This little girl was killed last night after her mother prompted her to crawl under the train to get to the bus stop so they wouldn't miss their bus. The train suddenly started to go and it killed her. The mother had reportedly done this multiple times before.

There are trains that run through neighborhoods and across major streets and near bus stops in Fresno. Sadly this is not a rare case around here. When my adopted daughter first came to live with us, a lot of her stories started out, "and we were playing on the train tracks." Sadly it's just an everyday thing for a lot of underprivileged children who live in poorer areas. 

https://abc30.com/nothing-could-prepare-me-for-what-ive-seen-witness-recalls-seeing-8-year-old-get-hit-by-train/4919480/

Not necessarily poorer areas, or at least not in the mid 60's to mid 70's.  There were a few train tracks within walking distance from my parent's house and a friend's house.  We would often walk down to the tracks and we frequently played on them.  Which was probably stupid and not something I would have let my daughter do, but that's what we did.  I am not defending the mother in this case, just stating that it's not automatically socio-economic.  It's a horrible tragedy and it should never have happened.

15 hours ago, Briefly said:

Not necessarily poorer areas, or at least not in the mid 60's to mid 70's.  There were a few train tracks within walking distance from my parent's house and a friend's house.  We would often walk down to the tracks and we frequently played on them.  Which was probably stupid and not something I would have let my daughter do, but that's what we did.  I am not defending the mother in this case, just stating that it's not automatically socio-economic.  It's a horrible tragedy and it should never have happened.

I was a kid in the seventies and sure people crossed the tracks (glad that has gone out of fashion, in part I think because electric trains are faster and more silent. We had meetings at school about that when our local train system made the change the electric circa 1980.). But you would cross when you didn't see a train coming! This woman urged her children to cross UNDER a temporarily stopped train. Under! Unbelievable.

7 hours ago, Petronella said:

I was a kid in the seventies and sure people crossed the tracks (glad that has gone out of fashion, in part I think because electric trains are faster and more silent. We had meetings at school about that when our local train system made the change the electric circa 1980.). But you would cross when you didn't see a train coming! This woman urged her children to cross UNDER a temporarily stopped train. Under! Unbelievable.

I understand that, I was just saying that it was not necessarily a "poorer areas" thing.  We always listened for trains, but we were not on an actual bridge.  We should not have been playing on the tracks and as an adult I realize that we were really stupid.  I also think my mother would have been very angry and we would probably have been in trouble.  But we were typical kids that did dumb stuff at times.  Also, as you said, trains are quieter now and the girl was told to crawl under by her mother.  It should never have happened.

I did cross train tracks near my house as an older child, teen. Trains did not go buy often and you could hear them coming for miles. Now as an adult I'd never encourage a child to cross them and certainly not crawl under one. I do feel sorry for the mother though, she will have to live with that guilt for the rest of her life.

Archived