IGNORED

David McGreavy: 'Monster of Worcester' who murdered three children set to be freed from jail

fraurosena

I feel for their poor, poor mother, she must be going through hell. Again.

David McGreavy: 'Monster of Worcester' who murdered three children set to be freed from jail

(be aware that there are graphic descriptions of the crime under the spoiler)

Spoiler

A killer dubbed the "Monster of Worcester", who was jailed 45 years ago for killing three young children, has been cleared for release by the Parole Board.

David McGreavy was sentenced to life in 1973 for murdering four-year-old Paul Ralph and the boy's sisters Dawn, two, and nine-month-old Samantha in their home, before hanging their mutilated bodies on a fence outside. Paul had been strangled, Dawn was found with her throat cut and Samantha died from a compound fracture to the skull.

McGreavy, who as a family friend and lodger, then impaled their bodies on the spiked garden railings of a house in Worcester. He claimed he killed the children because one of them would not stop crying.

The Parole Board has confirmed a panel directed his release following an oral hearing.

The children's mother Elsie Urry, who has also been known as Dorothy, criticised the decision, telling The Sun: "What this animal did to my children was every bit as bad as what the Moors Murderers did. "But Ian Brady and Myra Hindley never left prison before they died so why the hell should he? He put my babies on spikes for God's sake - he mutilated them and they died in agony. I wanted him dead and to suffer like they had but was reassured after his trial that his crime was so terrible he would never walk free again. But despite begging them to keep him locked up, I have now finally been betrayed."

A Parole Board document about McGreavy's case referred to a personal statement from the victims' mother "setting out the devastating effect that these deaths had on her and still do have". The document said McGreavy has changed "considerably" over his 45 years in custody. It added: "He has developed self-control, as well as a considerable understanding of the problems that he has had and what caused them. The psychologist identified a number of factors which make it less likely that Mr McGreavy will reoffend in future. These included his improved self-control and the fact that Mr McGreavy has learnt to remain calm in stressful situations. He has also shown himself to be compliant and co-operative with authority, which suggests that he will comply with licence conditions. A network of supportive friends in the community was also identified as a protective factor."

It continued: "After considering the circumstances of offending, the progress made while in custody, the evidence presented at the hearing, and the proposed release plan, the panel was satisfied that Mr McGreavy was suitable for release. The panel...were satisfied that living in the proposed hostel would provide greater support and a better prospect of successful rehabilitation than spending time in an open prison."

It went on: "Mr McGreavy's release is subject to licence conditions, which must be strictly adhered to, including complying with requirements to reside at a designated address, be of good behaviour, and report as required for supervision or other appointments."

The Parole Board said: "Parole Board decisions are solely focused on whether a prisoner would represent a significant risk to the public after release.

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

The psychologist identified a number of factors which make it less likely that Mr McGreavy will reoffend in future.

While this assurance would be enough for a drug dealer or a bank robber, it sounds way too weak for a children impaler. In such a case I would be fine with throwing away the keys.

The mother is right to state that he is just as bad as Brady and Hindley, he killed them because baby Samantha started to cry and he couldn't deal with it. What's to say that something won't set him off again, some people should never be freed. 

No way he should EVER get out.  He should die in prison.  Monsters like that don't change.  He should never, ever be allowed around anyone at all.  Much less children, not neighbors or anywhere.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:49 PM, Briefly said:

No way he should EVER get out.  He should die in prison.  Monsters like that don't change.  He should never, ever be allowed around anyone at all.  Much less children, not neighbors or anywhere.

Their mother was apparently reassured that he would never be released. 

A woman here in Scotland that got 10 years for killing her 3 year old son has been released less than 4 years after his death. She tried to hide the crime by faking his abduction and had people looking for him for days.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 3:08 PM, Glasgowghirl said:

A woman here in Scotland that got 10 years for killing her 3 year old son has been released less than 4 years after his death. She tried to hide the crime by faking his abduction and had people looking for him for days.

Gosh I remember that. At my old job I used to drive past the place where the poor we guy's body was left every other day, it was pretty spooky. I can't believe they are letting her out already after she not only killed him but also lied.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:56 PM, unsafetydancer said:

Gosh I remember that. At my old job I used to drive past the place where the poor we guy's body was left every other day, it was pretty spooky. I can't believe they are letting her out already after she not only killed him but also lied.

I found her whole story hard to believe from the beginning, she said he got up, dressed himself and left the block of flats on his own without being noticed and the flats had heavy security doors that he would not have been able to open. My nephew was the same age as the child and he could barely put a T shirt on without help nevermind getting fully dressed.

Archived