• Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

CTRLZero

I thought I'd start a catch-all for one of my favorite genres--science fiction.  Here is a non-spoilered recap of my latest, which I really enjoyed.

Noumenon by Marina J. Lostetter was the tale of a large group of people tasked with investigating a space anomaly, then return and report.  Given the distance from earth to the anomaly, the group was committed to a multi-generational space trip.  The details of how this was accomplished, what happened along the journey, and especially what happened on the return (and by now I am hard to surprise!), was well done.  Also discusses the term "noumenon" for people who enjoy learning new terms.  The technical talk was kept to a minimum.

There is a follow-up novel called Noumenon Infinity, which I am currently too cheap to buy, but maybe next payday.  The first novel can stand on its own without being too aggravatingly cliffhangerish.

A couple of other books this reminded me of are:

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

Foundation (the whole series) by Issac Asimov

SilverBeach

My mom, who died in February at 91, would love this. She was an avid, almost compulsive reader, and read all genres. However, science fiction was her first love. I remember her reading hardcore science fiction magazines when I was a child. I too love reading, but I never got into science fiction. I do like some of the softer SF that is out now.

Wine time!
Marly

That sounds really good! I'm going to check that book out.
Have you read Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson? It's about an intergenerational starship that's being sent from Earth to a possibly habitable extraterrestrial planet. I would classify it as Hard SF, but the technical talk is not annoying or too long or complex, I like how Robinson does that. It is also about creating a narrative, so there's an extra layer there which I liked as well.

CTRLZero
6 hours ago, Marly said:

Have you read Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson?

Thank you for the recommendation, @Marly!  I haven't read Aurora, but it does sound like something I'd like, so I added it to my wish list.

I've read the Mars Trilogy by Robinson and enjoyed that, so I'm a little familiar with the author.  I'm always on the lookout for sci-fi books on exploration and planetary settlement.  Hard sci fi is a bonus to me, but I understand people aren't always thrilled to encounter that in a novel, so I tend to point that out when I review a book.

Thanks, again!