IGNORED

How to help an old dog suffering from dementia?

Hane

My Peke Tippy is 15 1/2 years old, blind, and deaf. She no longer can scramble up more than a stair or two, or hop up onto the couch the way she used to. (My vet told me to give her glucosamine, as she told me all dogs of that age have arthritis.) She’s becoming incontinent, and wanders around the house aimlessly. When I told the vets that Tip has been drinking and urinating much more than previously, they diagnosed her with renal insufficiency and put her on a low-protein prescription food.

Online advice about helping a dog that’s showing signs of dementia isn’t helpful, as Tip can no longer respond to sight or sound cues. 

Aside from everything else, her physical health seems pretty good. 

My sister’s two Pekes, who were almost exactly the same age as Tip, passed away last year—one from an inoperable tumor, and one who had such bad congestive heart failure that he couldn’t breathe outside an oxygen chamber. The AKC puts Pekes’ life expectancy at 12-14 years, but I have a friend whose Peke lived to 18.

Any advice, friends, on what I can do to help my little old lady dog?

Wish I could help.  I would make sure she got held a lot so she can hear your heartbeat and breathing. So sorry pup is not well.   Hugs.  

I think Tip will be crossing the bridge soon. For the past few days, she’s been weak, hardly eating or drinking at all, and just lay on the grass when I’ve taken her outside. I just gave her a quick warm bath, and wrapped her up in a towel. I’m holding her on the sofa. She’s trembling and her breathing seems labored. We’re going to the vet first thing tomorrow. I don’t know whether anything can be done other than keeping her comfortable until the time comes.

@Hane We have so many forums. I think some of our appropriately posted notices don’t always get as much love as pet comments posted in well trafficked threads. Much much love and hugs to both of you in the next 24 hrs. May everything go with peace.

We went through this very recently.  Our girl, Maggie Moo, was a beagle and she was 14-15.  We had noticed some signs that the vet thought were the beginning stages of dementia.  He suggested an omega-3 and it did seem to help a bit for a while.  But her health issues caught up with her and we had to let her go.  They do know when it's time and they will frequently tell us.  It's obvious to me that you love your dog very much.  I'm sorry that you are having to go through this, it's very difficult.  I will be thinking of your family and Tip tomorrow morning.

My vet suggested CBD oil for my older fur kid-it helped her anxiety due to her losing her sight. After 30 days on the oil she will go out for walks twice a day like she did before the sight loss. Vet said that her blindness was causing her anxiety because she could not see what she was trained to protect me from. Just an idea.

I"m sorry.
We were there not tha tlong ago and I know you'll make the best choices for her you can.
But I"m sorry, and I"m glad you're with her and making her comfortable.

I’m so sorry. It’s agonising to see a dear friend declining like that. In my case, it was a cat, who’d already long outlived the prognosis she was given by the vet at the shelter, but even knowing she’d had a happy few years didn’t make it any easier. 

We found puppy training pads useful in the last few months when cat couldn’t/wouldn’t cope with the litter tray. She was fine with the pads and they make it very easy to clean up. We didn’t find much difference between human ‘inco sheets’ and puppy training pads so we went with whatever was cheapest each time. That might be different for a dog with a sense of smell, as the puppy pads are supposed to be scented for dogs...

We made the decision not to stick with the prescription food (also renal failure) because cat HATED it and at that point food, sunshine and hugs were her only pleasures and we were already heading into the long British winter. We spoke to the vet and the prescription food was unlikely to prolong her life or make her any more comfortable, so it didn’t seem worth the misery. 

Sending best wishes to you and Tip

@Hane so so sorry.  I’ve been there a few times and it’s so hard.  Hugs to you and Tip.  Sounds like Tip has had a very good life with you. 

Tippy passed away in her sleep during the night. Poor pup spared me from having to decide whether to have the vet put her to sleep. ???

I’m so sorry to hear that your beloved Tip has crossed to rainbow bridge. We went through a nearly identical experience with our old boy and he too saved us from having to make the decision. 

@Hane,  I am so so sorry about Tip!  :hug4:

Like @adidas, we were also saved from the decision with our sweet Maine Coon, Snorpi who was suffering from mast cell cancer.  

My deepest sympathy on the passing of Tippy. Saying goodbye is the hardest thing. As the amazing AreteJo said to me after losing JubeJube, cry over Tippy - she deserves your tears. Peace. 

I am so sorry to hear this, I have been thinking of you today.  But Tippy was ready, and you have the peace of knowing that she left on her own terms and peacefully.  I know it hurts, please know that we are all thinking of you and are here for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about Tippy-remember the good times. My Father told me one time that all dogs go to a big doggie park in the sky and become puppies again get to play with all the other doggies and if humans are good they get to go there and play with the them. OK that was told to me when I was 10, it worked then.

Archived