IGNORED

Aretha Franklin critically ill and in hospice care

47of74

Sounds like it won't be overly long

Aretha Franklin is in hospice care at her home, a source close to the 76-year-old singer told CNN's Don Lemon.

Word of the "Queen of Soul" being gravely ill was first reported by Showbiz 411.

Showbiz 411's Roger Friedman told CNN: "She has a great family, she's surrounded by love, and the world is sending prayers. All further announcements will be made by her family. We just want to send love and prayers."

The soul singer has been dogged by reports of failing health for years and appeared frail in recent photos, but she has kept her struggles private.

A few weeks ago, I was watching some of Ms. Franklin's work on YouTube. She is an incredibly talented lady who will be missed:

My dream was always to sing backup to Aretha on RESPECT.  Or anything really.  She is just magical!

She's lived in our community for years and been an absolute horror. But I'm glad she's getting good care and has friends/family for the end. 

7 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

She's lived in our community for years and been an absolute horror. But I'm glad she's getting good care and has friends/family for the end. 

Oh noooo ... what did she do?  It's so disappointing when talented celebs are asshats.  Its easy for me to forget they're only human.

Just total bitch all around. Rude, entitled.

One of the big things was that she didn't like the next door neighbors flowers. Not an allergy or the smell but she didn't like their landscaping though it had no bearing on her and the HOA approved the plans. She threw an epic fit to the HOA, threatening lawsuits and making life difficult for the neighborhood. They still turned down her requests to have the flowers changed.  

Another time she was parked in the Village (not Florida) and was getting a parking ticket, comes out yelling about do they KNOW who she is??! And rips the ticket up. The officer walked away for 20 minutes, came back and left her another one. 

I could have met her at an event I went to, but the only person she would take a photo with was Elmo. The muppet. Not joking.

That said, she’s a tremendously talented woman. I heard she was gravely ill, but I did not know it was bad enough for her to require hospice.

Per People Magazine The Queen of Soul passed away earlier this morning. She was truly a legend. RIP Your Majesty.

Some more details

Aretha Franklin, whose gospel-rooted singing and bluesy yet expansive delivery earned her the title "the Queen of Soul," has died, a family statement said Thursday. She was 76.

Franklin died at 9:50 a.m. at her home in Detroit, surrounded by family and friends, according to a statement on behalf of Franklin's family from her longtime publicist Gwendolyn Quinn.

The "official cause of death was due to advance pancreatic cancer of the neuroendocrine type, which was confirmed by Franklin's oncologist, Dr. Philip Phillips of Karmanos Cancer Institute in Detroit," the family statement said.

Her death comes three days after a source close to Franklin told CNN's Don Lemon that the singer was in hospice care.

RIP Ms. Franklin.

RIP Queen of Soul.

I had heard that she was a bit of a diva (maybe more than a bit), but I suppose it would be hard to be humble if people are constantly telling you how great you are.

I always loved her 80's hits the best, especially Who's Zoomin' Who.  I always listen for the last lines when she says (rather than sings), "You will remember my name.  I'm the one who beat you at your game."

Aw, this is so sad. Whatever she was like on a personal level, I remember listening to her in the car with my dad on a road trip to Elgin. 

RIP Aretha :(

Archived