IGNORED

The Handmaids Tale S2 EP 12 (There will be SPOILERS)

SilverBeach

I'm starting this thread early because there are numerous EP 12 spoilers out there (Reddit is awash in them). Anyone who can't hold back and wants to get the discussion going, have at it!

I have no idea how Reddit works but I've just joined today because I've seen your reference to discussions there. Are there any specific threads/posts you can direct me toward or would recommend?

Just watched it ( we get it 9 pm Tuesday on the west coast - woo hoo )

I just don’t know. I couldn’t tell where people’s emotions were at for most of it. Some was obvious - Serena being obsessed and happy with the baby,. June wanting to see her. I guess the ending with Serena kind of breaking down and encouraging June to breastfeed was her seeing the awful of possibilities of Gilda’s, and wanting a better life for “ her” daughter ? Feeling compassion for June mother to mother ? She’s coming across a little dissociative identity disorder with how fast her personality changes. She does seem done with Fred though.

June seemed to gain a lot of power between the playing flirt with Fred and the end scene with Serena....

What did people think ?

I haven't seen it, just watched a recap. 
... Nicole? WTF is going on with that name choice? Why Waterfords would give her name so close to "Nick"?

1 hour ago, AlwaysExcited said:

I haven't seen it, just watched a recap. 
... Nicole? WTF is going on with that name choice? Why Waterfords would give her name so close to "Nick"?

Yea..that was strange. I didn’t make the link until I saw so many people online point it out. This show is so nuanced and precise in everything having meaning - there’s no way they just randomly picked that name.

Is anyone else bothered that the Nick's capture plot 2 weeks ago was quickly wrapped up with only one line? Feels like lazy writing.

I called it that Eden and her boyfriend were the ones sinking in the trailer!

Serena is forever a cunt, even with every acquiescence she can't hide how evil she is. She can still barely put the baby's needs before her own insecurity, hatred of June, and power trip.

I was expecting for ep 12 to be the last one, but there's at least one more, right? According to this article below there will be 13 episodes altogether (see spoiler)

I'm so frustrated that June was again so close to getting out of Gilead but it didn't happen. I acctually like her character, even though I agree she handled the situation with Luke and his ex-wife a bit insensitively, just as Luke did. And sometimes she makes stupid choices, but we don't know if we would do better in her situation. I think the show shows really well how we all do irrational, potentially dangerous things out of fear or love. I'm always screaming "don't do that!!" internally when June runs after Hannah outside or demands to come along with the bread van driver, but it's not easy being a rational individual in a misogynist 1984-state.

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

Serena is forever a cunt, even with every acquiescence she can't hide how evil she is. She can still barely put the baby's needs before her own insecurity, hatred of June, and power trip.

I have a harder time hating her in the tv show then I had when I read the book for some reason. Maybe because the actress, Yvonne Strahovski, looks a lot like Portia De Rossi (who is married to Ellen). I can't be too mad at Portia :tw_lol:

Serena is also very complicit indeed but I want her to resist and run away, I would have taken the oppurtunity to flee that she was presented if I were her. Fred, on the other hand? Fuck him.

Eden's story line is so heartbreaking. Like, she's married off as a child to a stranger who won't look at her, falls in love, then gets fucking drowned. 

I don't know what they're gonna do for season 3 but I am so done with watching them all suffer.  I want Nick to be able to hold his daughter, and him. June, Holly, Hannah, Janine, and Charlotte to get out of Gilead.  Like now.

I’m fascinated by the new eccentric commander. One of the architects of Gilead. I think he is full of regret, and his poor wife is suffering terribly.

i don’t know what to make of Serena. I could never have foreseen her acknowledge June as the baby’s mother. I so want her to turn against Gilead but I think she is too scared and also too ashamed of her own part in its creation, and her despicable actions to ever back down. 

I went to make tea during the drownings. That shit gives me nightmares 

On 7/6/2018 at 3:03 PM, Irishy said:

I don’t know what to make of Serena. I could never have foreseen her acknowledge June as the baby’s mother. I so want her to turn against Gilead but I think she is too scared and also too ashamed of her own part in its creation, and her despicable actions to ever back down. 

The character is way too inconsistent for my liking. I think all characters should have shades of gray, but Serena J. is all over the map to the point that she's just not believable.  

13 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

The character is way too inconsistent for my liking. I think all characters should have shades of gray, but Serena J. is all over the map to the point that she's just not believable.  

People who feel powerless are often manipulative—I learned this from a counselor who worked with kids from abusive families.  I grew up with a mother who was all over the map; my sisters and I never knew whom we’d come home to.

1 hour ago, Hane said:

People who feel powerless are often manipulative—I learned this from a counselor who worked with kids from abusive families.  I grew up with a mother who was all over the map; my sisters and I never knew whom we’d come home to.

And I think June's a great example of this.  She's the most manipulative of all of the characters precisely because manipulation is all she has going for her.  Serena Joy - I just can't puzzle her out. 

I think Serena Joy is a good example of someone who got what they thought they wanted... and then realized it also applied to them, and they aren't 'special'.

Archived