IGNORED

Prominent Anti-Abortion Activist Goes Full On Alt-Right

Cleopatra7

Kristen Hatten, former Vice President of New Wave Feminists, which promotes “pro-life feminism,” has come out as an “ethnonationalist”:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5acd0d5be4b0259339de14f8?xi

The point of the “pro-life feminist” tactic is to show that anti-abortion activists care about women’s issues, but when a major thought leader is revealed to be a loud and proud racist, it just seems like they’re only concerned with certain kinds of women (ie white women who need to make lots of white babies to save America from scary black and brown people).

From the article: 

“I do see that Europe and the US are becoming... well, not European,” she wrote. “This concerns me not because I hate anyone, but for the same reason Japan would be concerned if the Japanese were becoming a minority in Japan. No people should be excited to become a minority in their homeland. It is contrary to human nature. I wouldn’t expect it of any race and I don’t think it should be expected of whites.”

Since when was America a land of just Europeans? Is she completely erasing the history of Native Americans and the fact that invaders took over their land and forced them to be a minority in their own land through disease and violence? I mean the irony is just ridiculous. 

@mstee, it wouldn’t surprise me if Hatten believes that Native Americans deserved to be dispossessed because they were living as “savages” and not using the land properly (ie like early modern Europeans). The alt-right talking point about a “white ethnostate” is basically Manifest Destiny on steroids, since it assumes that no non-white people (however “white” is defined) have a right to live in the US.

I saw this yesterday on HuffPo and didn't post because I couldn't quite figure out where to put it.  Politics? Snark?  Wide World of Snark? I think you put it in the right spot, though.  Even though the HuffPo article didn't reference religion, anything pro-life is deeply tethered to its teavangelical and fundamentalist roots.

I suspect Hatten is one of those people who will always be attracted to extreme positions on whatever spectrum she inhabits and this may not be the last time she pivots to something even more extreme. 

Her husband sounds really nice, though. ;-)

28 minutes ago, mstee said:

Since when was America a land of just Europeans? Is she completely erasing the history of Native Americans and the fact that invaders took over their land and forced them to be a minority in their own land through disease and violence? I mean the irony is just ridiculous. 

To your first point, yes, yes she is, and to your second point,  yes, yes it is.   She appropriates the term "homeland" without a second thought.  Red flag for lack of critical thinking skills and zero self awareness when she can say "No people should be excited to become a minority in their homeland" without a hint of irony.  

That's why I think this is just a whistle stop on the extreme worldview spectrum.

On 4/23/2018 at 12:57 PM, mstee said:

This is a great point - but the idea that "Europe" was someone a specifically ethnic and cultural monolith is just plain wrong too.

I mean, right from Roman times, there were people born in North Africa and the Middle East living in England, and vice versa, because of the Roman army policy of posting the soldiers as far from their home communities as possible.  After they'd served, and gained citizenship, the soldiers would often stay where they'd been posted, or take home a "Local" wife and children, so there was a ton of movement - and they were coming from a worldview of Empire, whereby one could live in Egypt, or England, or Jordan etc etc etc and all be Roman.

And then there has always been SO much immigration and cultural exchanges, from parts of Spain and Italy being ruled by the North African Moors for centuries, to the Vikings extending down through the Mediterranean, inland down rivers through to Russia, and having Viking bodyguards working in what is now Turkey.    There have been Black communities in London ever since there WAS a London.

The thing racists get confused by is that a lot of this becomes "hidden", because imagine that, for example, an African Roman lived in England and had children with a white Angle, their child would be mixed race, but if they also married an Angle, after a few generations, you wouldn't be able to look at their descendants and know.

(This is also why the whole genetic testing stuff that claims someone is 87% Dutch, eg, is so ridiculous.  The idea that outside inaccessible mountain communities, there have been places that had no immigration is just wrong.  There has always been a huge amount of population movement.  Take the "British" monarchy, eg - it's full of immigrants, eg, from cross-country marriages going back centuries, to importing William of Orange (a Dutchman!) as king, to all the Germans, to Prince Philip being a refugee and an immigrant.  Which is why it's HILARIOUS that our UKIP types and racist groups are simultaneously pro-monarchy and anti-immigration...)

And don't forget Barbary pirates, who raided the coast of England and other parts of coastal Europe for slaves and hostages for ransom. 

17 minutes ago, Howl said:

And don't forget Barbary pirates, who raided the coast of England and other parts of coastal Europe for slaves and hostages for ransom. 

Yep, and the British/Irish taken by the Vikings as slaves, and the Ottoman Empire taking anyone they could catch around the Mediterranean.....  and then there's the way the Ottoman Empire (which ruled a good chunk of Europe) was also trading with India and a whole load of Asia. Basically the idea of a historical racial purity is ludicrous, outside of very specific geographically isolated places.

And another thing!

The sheer gall of USA types to claim there are "too many Mexicans", when so much of those southern states were part of Mexico!   Do they not see how many Spanish place names there are, showing how much of the west and south was colonised by the Spanish, who they see as racially "different" to British/Dutch/German/Scandi (even though that's bullshit) - and then the absolute bullshit of a) ignoring the First Nations' history, the genocide, and the fact everyone who's not First Nations/Indigenous is an immigrant... But above all, getting stupid about the numbers of African-Americans, who are there because the Europeans stole them from their homelands and had them enslaved - I legit can't believe how little these "ethnostate"/Alt-Right types actually know about the history of the country they live in....

(Off to do some deep breathing...)

On 4/23/2018 at 7:57 AM, mstee said:

From the article: 

“I do see that Europe and the US are becoming... well, not European,” she wrote. “This concerns me not because I hate anyone, but for the same reason Japan would be concerned if the Japanese were becoming a minority in Japan. No people should be excited to become a minority in their homeland. It is contrary to human nature. I wouldn’t expect it of any race and I don’t think it should be expected of whites.”

also ... europe was NEVER just white. ever. that vision of a white europe that some people like to cling to just did not exist. at all. there were always poc around, they've always been around. just looking at some of the art made around the time gives the impression that poc were not only present but integrated into their society IE THEY WERE ALWAYS THERE and that period of "white europe" just didn't exist.

as to the topic at hand, colour me not surprised.

I should probably ask my daughter's Cherokee boyfriend what he thinks of the America being "european" comment.  I'm sure he'd have plenty to say!

Archived