IGNORED

Texas church (Open Door Baptist) sex abuse case

BonleofJore

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article206450249.html

From the article:

Spoiler

Robert A. Ross, the pastor of Open Door Baptist Church in Mesquite, was arrested Tuesday on charges of failing to report child abuse. He posted his $2,500 bond. Ross learned, on Feb. 1, of allegations that church member Steven Winn was sexually assaulting a 15-year-old and failed to immediately report it to police, according to a release from the Mesquite Police Department.

Open Door Baptist Church in Mesquite has had four members accused of sexual abuse in its 50-year history. Members and ex-members say a strict culture that reveres church authorities as nearly unquestionable has led to an environment conducive to ongoing abuse.

More in the linked article

Before I clicked, I thought, Which church sex abuse case in Texas?  There are sadly so many.  And this?  Members and ex-members say a strict culture that reveres church authorities as nearly unquestionable has led to an environment conducive to ongoing abuse.  It's the classic set up that allows sex abuse to flourish.  I hope somebody goes to prison for sex abuse and somebody else goes to prison for abetting it. 

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Before I clicked, I thought, Which church sex abuse case in Texas?  There are sadly so many.  And this?  Members and ex-members say a strict culture that reveres church authorities as nearly unquestionable has led to an environment conducive to ongoing abuse.  It's the classic set up that allows sex abuse to flourish.  I hope somebody goes to prison for sex abuse and somebody else goes to prison for abetting it. 

It’s a Hyles mentality church. It’s sad that the pastor who replaced the rapist didn’t do anything to protect future victims. This place needs to close down. 

2 minutes ago, BonleofJore said:

It’s a Hyles mentality church.

The "touch not mine annointed" crap?  Red flag. 

It's a hardcore fundie church. From my experience, growing up in the culture, when you see them use "King James Bible" instead of "King James Version" then you know they are an even deeper label of crazy. 

This article from the Guardian about the Salvation Army from earlier today actually has a really good discussion of how authoritarian culture in faith communities leads to unreported abuse.  Read it: very relevant to this!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/apr/11/woman-sexually-abused-salvation-army-1970s-justice

(I've been looking for a place to post this, because I think you would all enjoy it!)

Archived