IGNORED

Iowa family dead in Mexico

MarblesMom

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/03/23/iowa-family-four-that-went-missing-in-mexico-found-dead.html

Yes, it is from Faux. 

What got me were the comments on this article... people who have never left the US, making all sorts of claims.  The racism and hatred in these comments made me... well, close the article and come here.

I just went to a similar place in Mexico, not too far from Tulum, in a freakin' wheelchair.  Alone.

I felt safe.  I was safe, for the most part.

If there was no "foul play" in this situation, as the article stated, there are many, many other possibilities why this family perished.  The truth will come out.

15 hours ago, mollysmom said:

Such a sad situation!!! My first thought was carbon monoxide poisoning maybe?

That's what I thought when I heard about it and it's a logical thought.

Apparently they tried to use the gas burners and didn't realize there was no pilot light, then unwittingly left the gas on and went to bed.

My thought was carbon monoxide poisoning as well, and it's something that happens all the time in the US. As long as you take certain precautions such as staying with a large group and never leaving the tourist areas, Mexico can be a safe country to visit. I had to quit reading the comments on Facebook, as it was full of racist comments from those who never leave their hometown, let alone visit another country.

Yeah living in Iowa I've heard about this too.  So sad. 

According to news around here it was either gas leaking from a stove or water heater that killed the family. 

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Appliance-caused-gas-leak-that-killed-Iowa-family-in-Mexico-condo-relative-says-477933523.html 

15 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah living in Iowa I've heard about this too.  So sad. 

According to news around here it was either gas leaking from a stove or water heater that killed the family. 

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Appliance-caused-gas-leak-that-killed-Iowa-family-in-Mexico-condo-relative-says-477933523.html 

Didn’t read the article but does Mexico not add the smell to natural gas like we do in the states? Maybe a different kind of gas? Places like these should have CO detectors. 

Even in the United States, vacation rentals can have risks. There was a fatal cabin fire last fall not far from here in a vacation rental.

Sometime about 2015, Sandahl said, the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was left in place. On the night of the accident, people in the home unknowingly turned on the gas line. This allowed gas to pool in a void behind the fireplace, which exploded when it reached burning paper left in the fireplace as kindling.

I saw an NBC story that recommended bringing CO detectors to vacation rentals, checking to make sure the place has a functioning fire extinguisher, and making escape plans. If they recommended bringing smoke detectors, I missed it. One of our smoke detectors is also a CO detector, so I suppose you could bring one that's both. Something to budget for in vacation plans, I guess.

9 hours ago, Snarkylark said:

Didn’t read the article but does Mexico not add the smell to natural gas like we do in the states? Maybe a different kind of gas? Places like these should have CO detectors. 

CO2 (Carbon monoxide) doesn't have an odor so they may not have known, if that was it.

1 hour ago, Briefly said:

CO2 (Carbon monoxide) doesn't have an odor so they may not have known, if that was it.

I know, that’s why we add sulfur smell to natural gas- to alert one to the leak because it’s odorless otherwise.  Carbon monoxide is CO. CO2 is carbon dioxide. 

I hate reading the stupid, judgmental comments on stories like this. I would hope that if anything tragic ever happened to my family, it would not make the news because I wouldn't want to see all these cowards posting nonsense. I hate that people post things they would never say in real life, just because they're hiding behind the anonymity of a screen. Even though we snark on people (like the ridiculous guy staring at me from my avatar!), I believe none of us would wish harm on anyone else.

Sorry, been doing too much reading on Yahoo lately. 

On 3/27/2018 at 9:43 PM, Snarkylark said:

I know, that’s why we add sulfur smell to natural gas- to alert one to the leak because it’s odorless otherwise.  Carbon monoxide is CO. CO2 is carbon dioxide. 

OK, thanks for letting me know I had the wrong name. I've been calling it CO2 for years.  I knew it was odorless and colorless, I just didn't get the name right.

Archived