IGNORED

Study Finds Higher Risk of Death for Premies

chemist1217

I don't think this is news.

It makes sense to me that whatever went wrong in utero to cause a premature birth does not likely go away if the child survives. Whatever anomaly of cell growth or whatever it is that happens, and obvious interruption or hurrying-up of development by artificial means (lung surfacant for instance) has to have some kind of effect on the process.

It's the same reason preemies get sicker when they get sick, don't grow as big as their sibs, etc.

That said, I have an uncle who weighed 2 lbs at birth in 1935 and he's still kicking at 76.

I don't think this is news.

I agree this is nothing new. Many preemies also have airway problems, giving them reactive airway disease. They do pick up respiratory illnesses more easily and because their trachea can be floppy they can't clear their own secretions as well as full term babies. Their immune systems are often compromised.

Guest Anonymous

My niece is 2. She was born at 28 weeks. She has alot of lung issues, especially when she gets sick or even just catches a simple cold. My sister has to administer breathing treatments to her all the time and when the air is bad outside, she won't take her out at all. She also has asthma. My sis was warned about this back when my niece was in the NICU. We kinda look at it as par for the course for being born so early. Considering what else could of gone wrong with her being born so early, this is not a huge deal to my sister. It could always be worse.

My niece is 2. She was born at 28 weeks. She has alot of lung issues, especially when she gets sick or even just catches a simple cold. My sister has to administer breathing treatments to her all the time and when the air is bad outside, she won't take her out at all. She also has asthma. My sis was warned about this back when my niece was in the NICU. We kinda look at it as par for the course for being born so early. Considering what else could of gone wrong with her being born so early, this is not a huge deal to my sister. It could always be worse.

My daughter is the same. She was born at 26 weeks and has chronic lung disease as a result. Now she is a lot better as she has got older - she's 10 now - but every time she gets sick with a cold or similar it goes straight to her chest. Her asthma always gets worse in the winter months.

These issues are lifelong and the best J'chelle and Jim Boob can do right now is do their best to keep her healthy. Taking her on a round the world trip on a petri dish plane is not doing their best. Give her a few years before starting with the flights.

My older brother was a micropreemie. He has had to deal with a lot of health problems as a result, cerebral palsy being the main one. He is a healthy adult and overcame them; in fact, he is possibly the smartest person I know. But it is definitely no shock that preemies have a higher risk of death.

Archived