IGNORED

For emesbe & Anyone Interested in Mormon Weirdness

Guest Member456

Guest Anonymous

Weird things that Mormons believe - in song! From the multiple Tony award winning musical, Book of Mormon.

tggtPHDmrR8

Careful now, Mormons can be a bit of a sacred cow around here. Hancuff might sic his wife on ya! :lol:

Weird things that Mormons believe - in song! From the multiple Tony award winning musical, Book of Mormon.

tggtPHDmrR8

Well thank you, I'm flattered, I am a Mormon. And my husband and I (who is a huge theater geek) would like to see that show.

Haha, its a great song. Excellent to see all the wacky stuff they believe in through song...sometimes when discussing mormonism with non religiously interested people, they don't believe me when I talk about how they've badly messed up history and the different kingdoms, etc, so now I have a tune to go along to!

I totally heart you for this! Will you be my celestial spouse? We have a very cozy guestroom and I know the fur-kids would love to have a new cuddle buddy!

And now I'm off to search iTunes!

Despite Deelaem doing her best to win Asshat of the year (I think this is the year!!!!) I would LOVE to see it. It looks hilarious and I am never above laughing at myself or things that are just straight up funny.

Hoping it comes near enough to see it.

Careful now, Mormons can be a bit of a sacred cow around here. Hancuff might sic his wife on ya! :lol:

Ruh Roh! :violence-axechase:

Well thank you, I'm flattered, I am a Mormon. And my husband and I (who is a huge theater geek) would like to see that show.

There was a great interview with the writers of this musical on NPR where they talked about the fairly unilaterally positive feedback they have gotten from Mormons who see the show. They do acknowledge that Mormons open to seeing it are open to a bit of irreverence about their faith in general, though.

There was a great interview with the writers of this musical on NPR where they talked about the fairly unilaterally positive feedback they have gotten from Mormons who see the show. They do acknowledge that Mormons open to seeing it are open to a bit of irreverence about their faith in general, though.

I think that is very true and Mormons are a peculiar bunch. That is something even the president of the church will laugh about. No problem laughing at something that IS funny. Big Love was one of my favorite shows also!

Missionaries are so gung-ho it is not too difficult to find something to poke fun at there.

The reviews are great and people I have talked to said it was well worth the time and effort to go.

Guest Anonymous

emesbe - I didn't know that you were a Mormon. The reason that I addressed you in the post title was because of the exchange we had on the Mormon Submission thread.

Space aliens? Please to elaborate. :text-blondmoment:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=189&start=80

Since it seemed that you were asking me about Mormonism, I got the impression that you weren't familiar with some of its wackier aspects. Now that I know you're a Mormon, I suppose that was sarcasm. Is that one of the aspects of Mormonism that's been shoved to the back of the closet lately? The LDS leadership has quite a history of backpeddling on doctrine that becomes problematic for them. Anyhow, I wasn't trying to attack you, since as I said, I didn't know. I hope that you and your partner get to see the musical and that you enjoy it.

emesbe - I didn't know that you were a Mormon. The reason that I addressed you in the post title was because of the exchange we had on the Mormon Submission thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=189&start=80

Since it seemed that you were asking me about Mormonism, I got the impression that you weren't familiar with some of its wackier aspects. Now that I know you're a Mormon, I suppose that was sarcasm. Is that one of the aspects of Mormonism that's been shoved to the back of the closet lately? The LDS leadership has quite a history of backpeddling on doctrine that becomes problematic for them. Anyhow, I wasn't trying to attack you, since as I said, I didn't know. I hope that you and your partner get to see the musical and that you enjoy it.

No worries, I just wanted to know what you had heard about space aliens. It actually wasn't sarcasm--I honestly wanted to hear your experience.

My jack-Mormon inlaws-to-be love this! The devout ones just grin and bear it when it comes up (most of those with a sense of humor about the faith are the ones who left).

They get a particular kick out of "Turn it Off" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWA_jr-AwyA

but I think that's mostly because of the "scandal" of a cousin coming out a few weeks before leaving for mission.

Archived