IGNORED

Darren Aronofsky movie "Mother!"

NakedKnees

Hey all! I don't run here every time I see a new movie, but was honestly shocked that I hadn't heard more about the religious undertones in "mother!"

Has anyone else here seen it? More of my thoughts under spoiler.

Spoiler

I heard plenty about the way misogyny and gaslighting were depicted in this film, but I'm just pleasantly floored that the whole story was punctuated with references to the Bible and with depictions of worship taken to an extreme as a whole. It really reminded me of a lot of what we discuss here, especially in terms of men being held in incredibly high regard and women's needs/desires being ignored or suppressed.

I only recommend this movie if you check out the warnings in advance. I had a hard time watching some parts and I'm normally pretty flexible when it comes to psychological and body horror in films.

Edited by NakedKnees
Riffles

Jennifer Lawrence and Darren Aronofsky supposedly got together just after the movie was completed, and the tabloids claim that the poor reviews of the movie drove them apart.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, their relationship creeps me out given her role in the film (not so much given their age difference, oddly). She was reportedly injured during filming, and has talked about him wanting the shot again after that. It sounds like an uncomfortable dynamic at best.

• 1 year later...

I admit to watching this without any idea of what the hell was going on in it. I had no idea of the religious undertones and actually had to look up on the internet what it was about. Once I read the information out there, it all made sense. However at the time I was so very lost! It was basically a crap show though. 

• I Agree 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Content

• Recent Status Updates

• PennySycamore

PennySycamore

My niece is going to be a seat filler at this year's Academy Awards.  Seat fillers are asked to wear tuxedos regardless of sex/gender.  If you see a pretty young woman with very curly hair, it could be my niece. 
      · 0 replies
    • 47of74

47of74

Yeah, that's me.  Though to be fair I am trying to learn Italian and Spanish.

· 0 replies
    • Kiki03910

Kiki03910

IT'S BASEBALL SEASON!!!!!
      ⚾❣️
      · 4 replies
    • mango_fandango

mango_fandango

It’s not supposed to be mosquito season right now but I still appear to have been bitten twice on the side of my foot. Bastards. I know I shouldn’t scratch but it’s so tempting… 😑
      · 0 replies
    • Therapy Outside the Box

Therapy Outside the Box

Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum. It was suggested to me by former and outspoken Remnant Fellowship member (Natasha Pavlovich) that I join this forum and put out here what I do. She also warned me that no one on here trusts, or trusts easily, and that I'd likely be assumed to be a Remnant plant or spy until vetted and verified as not that. Fair enough. 
      In short, and in truth, I'm a psychotherapist with 25 yrs experience in Franklin TN (less than three miles from RF incidentally) with a special interest in working with people formerly associated with cults, cult-like or any and all high control intitutions. I'm especially interested in working with those desiring not only deconstruct, recover and learn to thrive post-indoctrination, but those desiring to recapture or cultivate an authentic sense of theology without walls, or spirituality with borders. 
      To date, I've worked with former Amish, Mennonite, LDS/FLDS, FOG, and a those representing a whole slew of evangelical, fire and brimstone fear/shame/guilt-inducing institutions.
      I am especially interested in working with former Remnant Fellowship and Scientology members. I view RF as basically Scientology without the budget. 
      I'll leave it there. Much more can be gleaned about me through my website: therapyoutsidethebox.com or IG: @ therapyoutsidethebox

Peace,

Chris Hancock, LCSW
      Franklin, TN

· 3 replies
    • Kiki03910

Kiki03910

I have a friend with untreated autism and ADHD. I've tried so fucking hard to help. He refuses. It's a mess. I'm really really tired.
      · 0 replies
    • Kiki03910

Kiki03910

Making Jill Duggar's brownie recipe because why not stay up late.
      · 2 replies
    • 47of74

47of74

Party on aisle 15....

Also no interest if fully paid in so many months.
      · 0 replies
    • WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

Happy Supper Bowel Sunday!!  No, wait. That isn't right...
      Anyway, enjoy the game (or the half time show, or the ads)!
      And a very happy Sunday to everyone who doesn't care about the NFL! 
      · 0 replies
    • Kiki03910

Kiki03910

I'm a huge baseball fan. This year, MLB TV showed Liga Dominicana games in December and January and it was a fucking revelation. The players had so much fire and joy. The announcers with their charming DR accents were a blast, though I could hardly keep up with the Spanish. DItto the Serie del Caribe. As a White Sox fan, the MLB season is going to suffer by comparison. Te amo los Tigres del Licey!
      · 2 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.