IGNORED

Traveling Jogless Stripes

Satan'sFortress

I sweartogod I want to form a band just so I can call it The Traveling Jogless Stripes.

But seriously, can anyone help?  I just bought the cutest pattern for a "Mary Tyler Moore hat" (you know, the one she flings at the end of the opening credits) that I am very excited to make.  I am a decent knitter, but it has been a while since I've done anything more complicated than a scarf.  This hat has stripes and, obviously, many color changes.  It is knit on round needles and the pattern gives instructions for "traveling jogless stripes."  I have read it over and over but cannot make out what it means. 

:pulling_hair:

Never mind--I found a great You Tube video.  Don't know why I didn't think to look there first.  What a great resource for knitting!

I’m not a great knitter but I do love crochet—the Crochet Crowd people on facebook also have a knitting counterpart you might check out. They have a ton of very user friendly videos. It’s how I finally figured out the magic ring. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very Pink knits often has good videos as does Sockmatician. 

You Tube has really transformed knitting and crocheting.  You can learn all kinds of things at any hour of the day, in your own home and if one person's method  doesn't click, there are 15 other videos to try. I love it!

I'm a very beginning knitter even though I've been at it a few years.

I originally took a local class and like the teacher, but I just can't learn from her each time I have a question -- she's more inclined to do it for me, and I can't yet follow along mentally.  Youtube has been my salvation!  I google the thing I want to know, find a video where I can understand the speaker, and then play it about three dozen times, most of them in slo-mo.

I'm still finding my comfortable hand positions and increasing tension consistency and speed -- no colorwork for me yet, or perhaps ever (I'm a solid-color kind of gal.  Stippled is about as much pattern as I like.)  But I enjoy reading about others' projects.  Want to see those traveling jogless stripes!  (the yarn as well as the band...)

I'm currently practicing continental style by way of a garter-stitch lap blanket, plus working on my first post-class pair of socks.   Feeling partly inspired to make myself a slouchy hat as well...

Archived