IGNORED

Christmas service had wrong "Hail Mary" in program

47of74

Oopsie...

independent.co.uk/news/world/christmas-carol-service-mixup-accidentally-publishes-rap-song-hail-mary-tupac-columbo-sri-lanka-a7494956.html

A Christmas carol service in the Sri Lankan capital of Colombo has accidentally printed out the lyrics to late rapper Tupac Shakur’s ‘Hail Mary’ in its programme instead of the 15th century Catholic prayer. 

The mix-up occurred at the 2016 Catholic Joy to the World Festival at the city's Nelum Pokuna Theatre during one of Sri Lanka's largest Christmas celebrations earlier this month.

Instead of finding the words “Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee/blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb", the carol singers were invited to reflect on the 1997 song’s themes of mortality, violence and sex and whether they wanted to "ride or die."

Some of the lyrics probably inappropriate for a Catholic service include: “I ain’t a killer, but don’t push me/Revenge is like the sweetest joy next to gettin’ p****" and “...Mama told me never stop until I bust a nut/“F*** the world if they can’t adjust, it’s just as well, Hail Mary.”

Wait a minute!  This sounds like Hip and or Hop!

10 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Just reading it and filling in the blanks has me laughing hysterically.  The dog is looking at me as if to ask,"Mommy, are you alright".

This is hysterical! I bet somebody got sent to the prayer closet for that. LOL!

5 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Wouldn't the first tip off be the word pussy in a hymn?  

Maybe, not being native English speakers, they associated the word "pussy" with cats.  That's the only explanation that O can think of

Wait - isn't Sri Lanka a majority Muslim country? Maybe whoever created the program just googled "hail mary lyrics" and copy & pasted whatever they found. Not being Catholic, they might not have known that Hail Mary is a prayer and not a Christmas Carol. The article isn't super clear, but my impression was that it wasn't necessarily a Church behind the celebration. 

If it were in the US, I would suspect that whatever jr high/high school student the church choose to create the flyer had stuck it in as a joke and/or to see if anyone was paying attention. 

@Maggie Mae,  I'm not sure about how the populace is split up, but I do know there are lots and lots of Theravada Buddhists in Sri Lanka.  

Here's the Wikipedia article on religion in Sri Lanka:

Religion in Sri Lanka

It turns out that most people in Sri Lanka know English, but the nuances of the word "pussy"  might have escaped them nonetheless.

Btw, I love your new avatar!

Archived