IGNORED

Cats and collars

feministxtian

Hi all...

Just a question...my female cat WILL NOT wear a collar. I mean WILL NOT. She will find a way to get it off. We've tried buckles, quick releases, I've bought I don't know how many collars and she manages to get them off. Her brother, on the other hand, has worn the same collar since he was a baby (of course it's been let out as he grows) and doesn't seem to mind. Any suggestions? 

Are the cats microchipped? My cats won't wear collars either, even after removing the bell. My cats are strictly indoor cats, too.  

they're not chipped and they're strictly indoor cats. I am thinking of getting them chipped just in case. 

I have four cats.  They have decided they are indoor-outdoor cats, so they are "supposed" to all be collared.

The long-haired overlord ditched it every. single. time.  She is now wearing a harness.  It's the only thing I have found that works.

The hunter wears a collar cover.  She has only ditched it once.

The elusive fourth overlord wears a standard one without a problem.

And Demon?  Objects to having it put on so strenuously that she is sans collar.

If you find something that works, let me know!

I believe in microchipping - for my peace of mind.

I also have noticed a campaign (don't know how widespread it is) to have indoor cats wear bright orange collars, so if they get out, they are seen as "escapees."

My indoor/outdoor cat loses collars like no other.  We tend to take them off at night,  because he'll wake us up with his jingling. He'll wake us up anyway,  with his demands for his servants to open the door.  

We give him a bell to give the birds a fighting chance.  It's just weird how quickly he'll lose a collar.  

you might just have to deal with the fact that she won't wear it, and consider getting the chips.  of the eight cats i've had in the last 20 years, two flat out refused to wear them.  one took them off himself, and the other would hunch down and sit there, looking pitiful, for as long as a few hours until i took it off him.  i always gave in and took the collar off, because he was so visibly upset that i didn't see the point of making him so miserable.  and as soon as it came off, he'd go right back to being his old self.  all i could think is that they were somehow irritated by the feel.  the other six have never seemed to mind wearing them.  all but one have been strictly indoors, but they've all had name tags with our street address and phone #.  the infamous two were never chipped because both were terrified by the prospect of going outdoors and had no interest in leaving.

@SpoonfulOSugar, i like the orange collar idea!

I have no idea why she won't wear a collar other than being ornery. She LOVES getting her neck and throat scratched, as a matter of fact, both will happily lay belly-up for belly scratches and throat scratches. I guess she's just being her own little bitch self. 

My husband and I decided to put collars with tags on our two cats just in case, even though they were indoor cats(as is China, my current feline overlord), and they both got out of them. Twice.  We decided, "OK, this isn't gonna work."  :pb_lol:

She is rather dominant. Her brother outweighs her by about 5lbs (yes, HUGE size difference) and she kicks his ass all over the place. So, maybe it's part of her dominance....like "ha ha the hoomans make you wear clothes and they can't make me".  I gave up trying to psychoanalyze these two a long time ago...

Ours are strictly indoors but have chips and collars just in case. I think you should get a chip if she won't wear a collar.

5 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

She is rather dominant. Her brother outweighs her by about 5lbs (yes, HUGE size difference) and she kicks his ass all over the place. So, maybe it's part of her dominance....like "ha ha the hoomans make you wear clothes and they can't make me".  I gave up trying to psychoanalyze these two a long time ago...

Is the brother a Maine Coon or other large breed? (Norwegian, Siberian, etc) if so, it's because those cats are basically pillows. They are big and smart, and smart enough to not care about being put in clothes. 

Bro looks to be part Norwegian. He's smart as hell and covers it by acting dumb. She looks like a classic DSH. Bro is about 16lbs, clumsy, acts like a dog. He's gorgeous and knows it. She's just a bitch :) Leia is the top picture and Luke is the bottom pic. 

IMG_20160525_063930.jpg

16lbs of dumb.jpg

Have you tried different brands and stuff. I started with my cats on one brand of collars, both kitten and then adult, but they were really easy to pull off through normal play, I am sure there are at least 10 collars hidden somewhere in our area with tags with our address on. I bought them a different kind, still the break away safety ones, but on this kind the buckle is a lot better and doesn't open as easily, in fact, it has only came off one cat-Izzy, who then picked up her collar in her teeth and then brought it to me to put it back on. I think she feels naked without it.

Some cats just really don't like collars though, and as she is strictly indoors only, it doesn't matter so much, but it would be a good idea to get her chipped just in case she gets out.

All mine are both chipped and wear a collar, but they sometimes go out, some more often than others. Socks and Izzy will often go out for a bit if they see an open door or window, but Mittens and Amber are rarely tempted to, and might go out for about 10 minutes before getting bored and coming in, but mostly ignore open doors. They all come when called to the sound of me calling "Kitties!", wherever they are, as that is the call I do when I feed them. Say it and its like a herd of elephants approaching, whether they are in or out.

16 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Leia is the top picture and Luke is the bottom pic. 

Leia has "The Look", I think I would let Leia do as she pleases.

Oh great, when I typed The Look, I have that Roxette song The Look in my head.  Right when I finally managed to get The Son of a Preacher man song off my mind, thanks to @SpoonfulOSugar, topic title.  :my_dodgy:

Thanks, @ALM7,  now I have the Roxette song in my head (i'd prefer an earworm of Son of a Preacher Man because I love it and Miss Dusty).  By the way, I *love* your avatar!  

Yes, Leia looks like she takes no crap from anyone.

44 minutes ago, ALM7 said:

Leia has "The Look", I think I would let Leia do as she pleases.

Oh great, when I typed The Look, I have that Roxette song The Look in my head.  Right when I finally managed to get The Son of a Preacher man song off my mind, thanks to @SpoonfulOSugar, topic title.  :my_dodgy:

Yes, Her Highness, Queen Kitteh Bitch of the Universe does as she pleases. Right now she's crashed out on top of the curio cabinet (about 6 feet up) and her idiot brother is looking for her and whining. 

Better pictures of the dynamic duo. As you can see, Leia is in her usual position, on mommy. I swear she's actually smiling in this picture. I think I'm owned. Luke is doing his usual, laying on something soft so he can be sure to add his hair to it...and assure that it will NEVER come off. He's not as snuggly as she is, but he is always near me. Occasionally he will favor me with a snuggle.

leia smiling.jpg

sexy luke.jpg

I tried to put a collar on my feline headship. He turned into a demon spawn of Satan. So he got an ID chip at the same time as his shots. He's already made it known he hates being outside.

Owned by 3 cats.   They are indoor kitties- all three microchipped incase they would every try to make a run for it.  Two wear collars with no problems.  My 15 y.o. Siamese is a pro at slipping out of hers.  She turns into a hell-cat when I try to put it back her.  Of course she looks very demure and sweet before I try to put it back on her...

10314732_10153600184258961_6651518127657340606_n.jpg

No cats at our house, but our yard is in the territory of a couple of indoor outdoor cats.  They have made peace with each other and get along - patrol our yard and garden.  The only time we get nervous is when a new face shows up.  Just last week a beautiful black and white kitty was sunning in our yard.... but the regulars quickly sorted that out and she hasn't been back.

If things start to get ugly, we try to get a peep at the tags and call the owner of the "visiting" cat. 

5 minutes ago, AnnC said:

No cats at our house, but our yard is in the territory of a couple of indoor outdoor cats.  They have made peace with each other and get along - patrol our yard and garden.  The only time we get nervous is when a new face shows up.  Just last week a beautiful black and white kitty was sunning in our yard.... but the regulars quickly sorted that out and she hasn't been back.

If things start to get ugly, we try to get a peep at the tags and call the owner of the "visiting" cat. 

We had a tuxedo cat visitor last week on at least two days.  He knocked our bird feeder down twice.  The cat is more than welcome to hang out in our yard, but I do wish he'd leave the feeder alone.

I have 3 and they don't wear collars. We were wearing collars for a while but they kept breaking them off. Then there was a time where one of the cats managed to slip it up over his neck but then it got stuck in his mouth. Poor kitty, not sure how long he was stuck with it in his mouth and not able to eat or drink (he did it during the night while we were sleeping). I haven't tried a collar on him since then. I do wish they would wear them though and it would be nice if they came without those damn bells on them. 

Archived