IGNORED

It's Homeschool Convention Season!

GenerationCedarchip

I went to my state homeschool convention earlier this month. Mostly, it was really good. Things definitely veer conservative, but I'd say the vibe is more mainstream conservative Christianity than hardcore fundie. The emphasis in most workshops was on educational methods, though some of the folks I was with waxed nostalgic about the days when you would get lots of courtship seminars and the like. The only fundie-ish stuff I saw were some of the YEC science vendors and some of the "providential" history materials. Michael Farris was there hawking his constitutional history, but I didn't get a chance to check it out.

I noticed there were no Phillipses, Botkins, RC Sproul, JR,  et al present, though there was a company there that sells items from NCFIC, Western Conservatory and similar groups. They were doing plenty of business, so I'd say that even with the fall of Vision Forum, there's still a market out there.

I saw that Rick Boyer was speaking several times, so I guess the investigation into the allegations didn't turn up much of anything.  I didn't get a chance to speak with him, but I did talk to his wife Marilyn for a little while (NOT about the allegations.)  I've met her before, and she still strikes me as being fairly down to earth and she has a great sense of humor. I've never spent much time around him, but I do like her even if I suspect we may not agree on theology.

Edited - I almost forgot!  There were plenty of ALERT cadets in evidence. They were checking badges at the exhibit hall and doing other volunteer stuff around the convention.

3 minutes ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

I saw that Rick Boyer was speaking several times, so I guess the investigation into the allegations didn't turn up much of anything.  I didn't get a chance to speak with him, but I did talk to his wife Marilyn for a little while (NOT about the allegations.)  I've met her before, and she still strikes me as being fairly down to earth and she has a great sense of humor. I've never spent much time around him, but I do like her even if I suspect we may not agree on theology.

Or nobody cared, no matter what turned up, since it's easier to sweep it all under the rug and chalk it up to "repentance"! 

@libriatrix - I'll admit I had wondered about that, but I've heard rumblings that there may be some problems with the story as alleged by the accuser, so at this point, I can honestly say that I don't know who I believe.

4 minutes ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

@libriatrix - I'll admit I had wondered about that, but I've heard rumblings that there may be some problems with the story as alleged by the accuser, so at this point, I can honestly say that I don't know who I believe.

Is there any meat to the rumors beyond the common "he's so nice she must be wrong" or "she can't remember every single detail so she must be lying because trauma never messes with people's memories and everybody who really experienced something remembers every detail" defensive reaction? Since people doubt victims' stories so often, that seems like a likely explanation for the rumors unless there was some other evidence involved.

2 hours ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

Edited - I almost forgot!  There were plenty of ALERT cadets in evidence. They were checking badges at the exhibit hall and doing other volunteer stuff around the convention.

Does this mean we've finally resolved the question of what all that ALERT training is for? Money well invested!

2 hours ago, EscapedCardinal said:

Does this mean we've finally resolved the question of what all that ALERT training is for? Money well invested!

I know ebil gubmint, wimmin commanders, and all, BUT if these people would send their kids to the US military they would get paid to check badges!  Gate guards are great badge checkers. 

3 hours ago, EscapedCardinal said:

LOL!  They were mostly strutting around looking official. Not 100% sure what they did beyond that, though I did see them helping folks who had obvious mobility issues, were hugely pregnant, etc..

3 hours ago, mallallory said:

I know ebil gubmint, wimmin commanders, and all, BUT if these people would send their kids to the US military they would get paid to check badges!  Gate guards are great badge checkers. 

And they get to salute, too!:pb_lol:

Archived