IGNORED

Feds to seek death penalty for Dylann Roof

47of74

The Feds are going to go for the death penalty in the case of Dlyann Roof;

cnn.com/2016/05/24/us/dylann-roof-death-penalty/index.html

Federal prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, who is accused of killing nine people at a historic African-American church in Charleston, South Carolina, in July 2015.

Roof is charged with 33 federal offenses, including hate crime charges for allegedly targeting his victims on the basis of their race and religion.

"The nature of the alleged crime and the resulting harm compelled this decision," Attorney General Loretta Lynch said.

Roof, 22, is accused of shooting participants of a Bible study class at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, known as Mother Emanuel, in downtown Charleston on June 17, 2015.

I'm having mixed feelings about this.  I don't blame the state or any of the families of the victims for wanting to fry that no good son of a bitch.  But I think making him serve the rest of his life in prison - perhaps another 60 or 70 years - would be more of a punishment for him then simply executing him.  Plus I worry that it'll create a martyr for the reich wingers out there who think shooting up a House of God is acceptable conduct.

I agree that letting him rot in prison is probably a better punishment. Or we could get the innocent/unfairly treated/unconstitutionally treated people out of Gitmo and just put him in there. Tell the guards he's just a really really light-skinned Taliban guy; you wouldn't be that far from the truth anyway. I really am in favor of prison reform and for acknowledging the dignity and human rights of people, criminals included, but Dylann Roof is nothing but hateful scum.

Archived