IGNORED

Sermons by Charles Spurgeon

roddma

Wow.

Soooooo... Amusement has no room in the life of a Christian?!

Spurgeon must've been a really downer with an attitude like that... Just picture him at, say, a birthday party and someone offers him cake. His reply was probably, "What is cake, compared to an eternity in Hell?"

All the gaiety of an undertaker.

24 minutes ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Wow.

Spurgeon must've been a really downer with an attitude like that... Just picture him at, say, a birthday party and someone offers him cake. His reply was probably, "What is cake, compared to an eternity in Hell?"

Most of the undertakers I've met tend to have a sense of humor. Spurgeon was just a dour douche.

Seems like he and Steve Maxwell would've gotten along swimmingly.

Does  anyone remember the laughing Jesus that was popular among the Jesus people in the 70s?  That was meant to combat this joyless vision of Jesus and Christianity that Spurgeon preaches here.  According to scripture, Jesus not only went to the wedding feast at Cana, but performed his first recorded miracle of turning water into wine. 

I get Jessa wanting to name her child after a prominent religious figure, but this guy was the wrong guy to choose. Both because of being a miserable twat and because of the godawful name. Although actually I can see why she'd go for Spurgeon over Charles- Charles could be anyone, whereas using Spurgeon makes it obvious. Still a horrible-looking (and sounding) name though. At least he (the baby obviously) is cute.

49 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Does  anyone remember the laughing Jesus that was popular among the Jesus people in the 70s?  That was meant to combat this joyless vision of Jesus and Christianity that Spurgeon preaches here.  According to scripture, Jesus not only went to the wedding feast at Cana, but performed his first recorded miracle of turning water into wine. 

But that wasn't really wine. It was grape juice.  Wine is a mistranslation. Because of course fresh grape juice (unfermented and non-alcoholic) was the traditional ritual and festival drink of the Jews at the time of Christ.   :irony:

Actually, I don't know for sure that Spurgeon opposed wine drinking.  He just seems to think that all the wine in the bible is symbolic.

Here is Spurgeon on Good Cheer for Christmas.    

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

How about Buddy Christ from Dogma? I don't know if they're still selling the figures, but you could buy them for a while. I got one for a friend of mine who is a Presbyterian minister, and she loved it. We had a some great discussions about that movie, with lapsed Catholic me learning a lot about her faith and the differences from RC.

ETA: Of course you can still buy them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/BUDDY-CHRIST-Statue-Figurine-Smiths/dp/B002065JM6

45 minutes ago, paganbaby said:

How about Buddy Christ from Dogma? I don't know if they're still selling the figures, but you could buy them for a while. I got one for a friend of mine who is a Presbyterian minister, and she loved it. We had a some great discussions about that movie, with lapsed Catholic me learning a lot about her faith and the differences from RC.

ETA: Of course you can still buy them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/BUDDY-CHRIST-Statue-Figurine-Smiths/dp/B002065JM6

I googled laughing jesus.  I had seen these before, but didn't find it comforting.  This Jesus looks less cheerful than scornful.  http://www.jesuslaughing.com/paper-prints.html

I think Buddy Christ looks friendlier. ;) 

My fundie BIL is one of those "it was grape juice" people... He also will tell you that Prohibition should be reinstated. He also won't even drink non-alcoholic beer, because it has like .00000000001 alcohol in it or some crap.

Spurgeon just seems to be a complete downer...

I mean, look at this guy...

6707b4e41fadcb8e05340a3f297fd085.jpg

...he looks like he'd suck all the fun straight out of a circus. He's the reason why French clowns cry...

1 hour ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

My fundie BIL is one of those "it was grape juice" people... He also will tell you that Prohibition should be reinstated. He also won't even drink non-alcoholic beer, because it has like .00000000001 alcohol in it or some crap.

Spurgeon just seems to be a complete downer...

Ah, but I have discovered that Spurgeon was not an "it was grape juice" person.  In fact, he took his time before becoming a teetotaler.

According to Fundamentally Reformed

Spurgeon converted to the prohibitionist cause, but apparently never held that wine in Bible times was not fermented–at least the wine Jesus drank.

Apparently, he started out as "an occasional drink is okay," but ended up feeling that alcohol in his own time was not a good thing.  

I found a good  example of his position is in the preface to his analysis of the Wedding at Cana.

AT this time I shall not consider the relation of this miracle to total abstinence. The wine which Jesus made was good wine and it was made of water—we are not likely to meet with anything of the kind in this country where the wine is seldom made from the pure juice of the grape—and where it is not known who made it, or of what it is made. What is now called wine is a very different liquid from that which our Lord Divinely produced. We use our Christian liberty to abstain from wine and we judge that our Savior would approve of our avoiding that which, in these days, makes our brother to offend. We who quit the intoxicating cup of today have our ways of viewing our Master's action in this instance and we do not find it difficult to see wisdom and holiness in it. But even if we could not so interpret what He did, we should not dare to question Him. Where others quibble, we adore.

Even this is more than I meant to have said, for my object, this morning, is far removed from this controversy. I pursue a spiritual theme ... (Sermon of July 20, 1890)

Anyway, it seems that Spurgie Dillard's namesake was not of the "it was really grape juice" persuasion. 

49 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Anyway, it seems that Spurgie Dillard's namesake was not of the "it was really grape juice" persuasion. 

But I really meant Seewald.

Spurgeon Eliot Seewald, also known as the "Unfortunately Named Child," Spurge and "Spurge" among other things . . .  is the son of Jessa and Ben.

It was Ben Seewald who had to name his kid after his favorite dead preacher.  

I accidentally gave Spurgey the surname of Jill and Derick (probably because I still think of them all as part of the Duggar Borg, and the real last name is irrelevant).  I would have edited, but the software wouldn't let me.

So I apologize for the error.  The Dillards are the parents of Israel/Izzy, who despite having the better name, is not as cheerful as his cousin Spurge.

Im currently reading a public domain book "Women's Life in Colonial Times". It talks of how these people had such a fear of hell they would drag their new born babies out on harsh winters and have them baptized, which likely contributed to infant deaths..Cotton Mather's Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" made such an impression that a woman stood up and asked how could she be saved"

But anyhow,, I grew up in a hardcore country Church of Christ that always said be ware of the more 'liberal' churches. I guess it was because they offer some 'amusements'. A local church has a monthly fellowship dinner. I thought the whole idea was to fellowship with other Christians, though some churches do go overboard..

@roddma, my late aunt was married to a man who was raised Church of Christ.  She told my grandmother to go to any other church but the Church of Christ.  Aunt Ruth said it would scare her to death!   There happened to be a UMC just down the street from my grandmother's house in town so that's where she ended up going.  When she and my grandfather lived out in the country, they'd go to whatever church was closest and it there wasn't a church handy, they just didn't attend church. 

On 5/21/2016 at 6:20 PM, THERetroGamerNY said:

Wow.

Remember all those fire and brimstone "sermonettes" Bin Boob would post on social media late at night the first few months of their marriage? We would speculate that he and Jessa would have newlywed sweet fellowship and then he'd feel guilty about enjoying the pleasures of the flesh and post his "no Christian is truly worthy" crap. No wonder he named his first spawn after Spurgeon - the kid was probably conceived as Bin was reciting Spurgeon's thoughts in his head. 

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 5:51 PM, roddma said:

Im currently reading a public domain book "Women's Life in Colonial Times". It talks of how these people had such a fear of hell they would drag their new born babies out on harsh winters and have them baptized, which likely contributed to infant deaths..Cotton Mather's Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" made such an impression that a woman stood up and asked how could she be saved"

I think Jonathan Edwards was the preacher of "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God."

Views on God/Jesus have gone back and forth (often on time with the popularity and fall of Calvinism/Armenianism). God is protrayed as and angry, vengeful Being and then another group portrays Him as a sandal wearing, long-haired hippie, lovey-dovey, it's-all-cool Type and then another group feels that is completely disrespectful and we're back to the angry, vengeful Being, rinse, and repeat.

Archived