IGNORED

Match Game Reboot

theinvisiblegirl

Does anyone remember Match Game from the '70s? I used to watch reruns of it on the Game Show Network, and I loved it.

Well, ABC is rebooting it... And Alec Baldwin is the host. I can't wrap my mind around this. He just doesn't seem like a good fit for the hosting job. Then again, that probably has something to do with the fact that I don't think he'll have the same kind of charisma as Gene Rayburn. Still, I'm willing to give it a chance, even for a few episodes. I do love a good game show.

Ooh, I love the classic Match Game. It runs on Buzzr, one of the digital sub-channels. I remember it from the original days, but I was too young to get most of the double entendres. Gene Rayburn had just the right amount of snark mixed with charisma, he was perfect for the host position. It also helped when they had the right celebrity panelists.

One of the other shows they run on Buzzr is Tattletales. It's so cheesy, but I love it. So mid-70s! I was never a Bert Convy fan, but he was a great host for Tattletales. Gene Rayburn actually guest-hosted an episode of Tattletales so Burt and his wife could be panelists.

I love Match Game! I watched it with my Granny. I have fond memories. I miss those old school game shows. They were the source for my love of trivia. My childhood favorites were Password and Press Your Luck. 

@GreyhoundFan I watch Buzzr late night. To Tell the Truth and Tattletales. I agree, Gene was a smooth cat. Richard Dawson pinged my lecherous meter.

8 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

I love Match Game! I watched it with my Granny. I have fond memories. I miss those old school game shows. They were the source for my love of trivia. My childhood favorites were Password and Press Your Luck. 

@GreyhoundFan I watch Buzzr late night. To Tell the Truth and Tattletales. I agree, Gene was a smooth cat. Richard Dawson pinged my lecherous meter.

LOL, yes, my Grandma was a HUGE game show fan, so I was treated to many of them growing up. Password is a good one too! Press Your Luck was on when I was in college. One of my friends used to come to my dorm and have me join him in the TV room to watch it if I didn't have a class.

I love watching the really old shows on Buzzr too. What's My Line is my favorite, followed by To Tell The Truth. Not such a big fan of I've Got a Secret.

Agreed about Richard Dawson, especially on Family Feud. His having to kiss every woman on the lips is squicky. I remember asking my Grandma why each woman would want to kiss him because they'd get each woman's germs. Gross. He was usually good as a panelist on Match Game, it was just when he started groping the women on Family Feud that he annoyed me.

I don't know if I get Buzzr, but I know we have GSN. Around 8 in the morning, they have Match Game, then Card Sharks (personal favorite of mine for no other reason than I love the energy of the show), then Press Your Luck, then the $25,000 Pyramid with Dick Clark, then Lingo.

I don't remember shows like To Tell The Truth and Tattletale. My old game show introduction came in he form of our yearly vacation to Florida. The place my grandparents had a timeshare at used to have GSN, and I thought it was the most glorious station to ever be included on television. I used to watch with my grandparents every morning while we were making breakfast and getting ready for the day. I found Richard Dawson to be very weird, but I enjoyed him as a host when he wasn't hitting on the females.

My favorite panelists on Match Game was always Betty White, but who didn't love the snarky chemistry between Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly?

Charles Nelson Reilly out accessorized every panelist with his fabulous array of scarves.

What's the name of the show where people had to act out clues, kind of like a cross between Charades and Mad Libs? 

5 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I don't know if I get Buzzr, but I know we have GSN. Around 8 in the morning, they have Match Game, then Card Sharks (personal favorite of mine for no other reason than I love the energy of the show), then Press Your Luck, then the $25,000 Pyramid with Dick Clark, then Lingo.

I don't remember shows like To Tell The Truth and Tattletale. My old game show introduction came in he form of our yearly vacation to Florida. The place my grandparents had a timeshare at used to have GSN, and I thought it was the most glorious station to ever be included on television. I used to watch with my grandparents every morning while we were making breakfast and getting ready for the day. I found Richard Dawson to be very weird, but I enjoyed him as a host when he wasn't hitting on the females.

My favorite panelists on Match Game was always Betty White, but who didn't love the snarky chemistry between Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly?

You can find if Buzzr is in your area here. I like that they have a nice combination of older and newer shows. My only complaint is that they will run the same 20 or so episodes of a particular show over and over before going on to 20 more episodes.

I love the $25,000 Pyramid. I miss Dick Clark. I have despised the reboots of Pyramid. Nothing was quite like the original.

To Tell The Truth started in the 1950s, it's a panel show, as was common then. Tattletales was from the mid-70s, complete with green shag carpeting and wide lapels. It was where three celebrity couples would come on and tell stories, trying to match each other to win money for the audience. Lots of double entrendres, like Match Game.

Agreed about Betty White. She was the best on pretty much every game show she was on. And, yes, Brett and CNR had great chemistry. I always loved their "I don't give a fig" attitude.

2 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

Charles Nelson Reilly out accessorized every panelist with his fabulous array of scarves.

What's the name of the show where people had to act out clues, kind of like a cross between Charades and Mad Libs? 

Oh yes, his scarves were classic!

I know the show you are talking about, but I can't remember the name.

Thank you for the link, @GreyhoundFan. I checked and am now bummed that Buzzr isn't available in my area! I hope it comes to me soon. I could so see myself vegging out for a day of crocheting while watching this channel.

My first exposure to Pyramid as a game was the reboot with Donny Osmond as the host (pre-GSN in Florida days). I much prefer Dick Clark as host, though.

• 1 month later...

I don't get Buzzr(:my_sad:), but I watch the GSN reruns at 8 and 8:30 am.  Currently, they're showing the 1979-82 daily syndicated version, so I watch the early shows on YouTube(along with Pyramid and the Dawson-era Family Feud).

I'm watching the Match Game reboot. Not impressed at this point. I don't like the panel. Even though I've never been much of an Alec Baldwin fan, he's doing an okay job, but he's no Gene Rayburn. I guess we'll have to see how it shakes out.

Archived