IGNORED

Fake christian quotes in texas high school

doggie

this is bad enough but worse is that the quotes are fake. so they chose to not follow the constitution and were not bright enough or did not care the quotes are fake.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/08/05 ... le-images/

When the United States of America was formed, the founders paid special attention to making sure “freedom†was front and center. This includes, but is most certainly not limited to, the freedom of and FROM religion. However, there seems to be a PUBLIC school district in Texas that doesn’t like the fact that the nation wasn’t founded upon any religion, but rather the freedom to live as you choose, and has decided to just make sh*t up.

Mount Vernon Independent School District in Texas has not only placed quotes pertaining to religion and the Bible all over their schools (130 quotes), but they’ve also posted fake quotes that have been completely misattributed.

For instance, at one of the schools there is a quote supposedly from former President Ronald Reagan that reads:

“Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face.â€

ReaganQuote_zpsi6rst7nw.jpg

tshirt_zpsdalzaex3.jpg

Bible-verses_zpsdlmz7qmy.jpg

It's astonishing how many people don't check on quotes. Even if they plan to print them in big letters and hang them on the wall.

Also "Faith - Family - Tigers"? :wtf:

I mean, I'm all for tigers but that seems a bit extreme...

Welcome to East Texas, ya'll. It might even be Deep East, TX. I'd have to check my Texas geography.

This is reminiscent of the Kountze High School issue where cheerleaders were putting bible verses on spirit banners for football games. Kountze High School is northeast of Houston, so yes, more East Texas.

Cheerleaders from a Texas high school have appealed a decision that declared moot a lawsuit they filed to have the right to use banners with Bible verses during public school sporting events.

A petition was filed Wednesday before the Texas Supreme Court on behalf of cheerleaders from Kountze High School and their families.

The appeal was filed by the Plano, Texas-based Liberty Institute and other attorneys regarding the recent Ninth Court of Appeals panel's decision.

In 2012, the Madison, Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation sent a letter to the Kountze Independent School District, demanding that its high school cheerleaders stop displaying religious-themed banners.

These banners often included inspirational biblical quotes, such as Philippians 4:13, and were used as run-through banners at the start of football games.

At first Kountze ISD complied, barring the cheerleader banners. The parents of some of the cheerleaders sued the school district, arguing that the cheerleading team was a private organization not directly affiliated with the school district.

Anyway, the cheerleaders won, and bible verses can be used on spirit banners as long as the activity is student initiated and student led (according to a relative, a retired TX high school principal). This is how it manifests:

cheerleaders.jpg

Welcome to East Texas, ya'll. It might even be Deep East, TX. I'd have to check my Texas geography.

This is reminiscent of the Kountze High School issue where cheerleaders were putting bible verses on spirit banners for football games. Kountze High School is northeast of Houston, so yes, more East Texas.

Anyway, the cheerleaders won, and bible verses can be used on spirit banners as long as the activity is student initiated and student led (according to a relative, a retired TX high school principal). This is how it manifests:

cheerleaders.jpg

It might be reminiscent, but it's hardly the same thing from a legal perspective if these quotes are physically painted on a public school district property. I would say it's more akin to a statue of the Ten Commandments on courthouse property.

Anyway...it's terrible for multiple reasons!

It's not just Texas that pulls this bullshit. My cousin's kids go to school in a Phoenix suburb. They play football, and the football team is issued shirts that say "Faith, Family, Football" with the school name and their number on the back.

It's not just Texas that pulls this bullshit. My cousin's kids go to school in a Phoenix suburb. They play football, and the football team is issued shirts that say "Faith, Family, Football" with the school name and their number on the back.

like god gives a shit about football. or faith since there is no such thing as the right faith.

I was born and raised in Phoenix, so I am curious. Which suburb?

I feel led by the spirit (of being exhausted by this sort of crap) to post to the this thread.

Back in the day, when I was a little 'ol contractor (mental health professional) in Deep Texas, we used to call these kinds of districts Boss Hogg Districts - in honor of a particular superintendent. This same superintendent, for reals y'all, kicked me out of a district for being a woman driving a truck. Never mind the 4 figure daily consulting fee, for which we totally still billed them. He seriously met me in the hallway, interrogated me as to whether that was my truck (yup!) pontificated at great volume (good ole boy voices really can carry in a High School hallway) as to the evils of women who have "no business driving a man's truck," and then proceeded to call my boss on his cellphone (still standing right in front of me) and demand that I be removed from the district immediately, as two X chromosomes cannot possibly add up to a professional of the caliber stipulated in our contract. It's funny now, it was not funny then; especially as I'd just taken the earliest flight out of San Antonio, and then driven three hours just to get to his teeny weeny district!

My point is that, in these little districts, in my humblest of experiences, there is absolutely NO talking to the powers that be. They are right, their cause is just, and anyone else just doesn't understand "the way things are." It's exhausting.

After another incident, I affixed a big, fat rainbow (and a pink triangle pin, this was 13 years ago) to my bags, and made sure they were visible.

This sort of overbearing declaration that there's ONE right way to live takes a tremendous toll on students who don't fit into whichever narrow worldview that's being promoted. For adolescents desperately trying to discover themselves, giant Bible verses on the wall can be a daily reminder that they're "failing." Narrowly defined roles can be so damaging.

TL;DR - You don't get to write Bible verses on the walls of a PUBLIC, FEDERALLY-FUNDED institution!!! Especially not one that caters to CHILDREN. Ugh.

I feel led by the spirit (of being exhausted by this sort of crap) to post to the this thread.

Back in the day, when I was a little 'ol contractor (mental health professional) in Deep Texas, we used to call these kinds of districts Boss Hogg Districts - in honor of a particular superintendent. This same superintendent, for reals y'all, kicked me out of a district for being a woman driving a truck. Never mind the 4 figure daily consulting fee, for which we totally still billed them. He seriously met me in the hallway, interrogated me as to whether that was my truck (yup!) pontificated at great volume (good ole boy voices really can carry in a High School hallway) as to the evils of women who have "no business driving a man's truck," and then proceeded to call my boss on his cellphone (still standing right in front of me) and demand that I be removed from the district immediately, as two X chromosomes cannot possibly add up to a professional of the caliber stipulated in our contract. It's funny now, it was not funny then; especially as I'd just taken the earliest flight out of San Antonio, and then driven three hours just to get to his teeny weeny district!

My point is that, in these little districts, in my humblest of experiences, there is absolutely NO talking to the powers that be. They are right, their cause is just, and anyone else just doesn't understand "the way things are." It's exhausting.

After another incident, I affixed a big, fat rainbow (and a pink triangle pin, this was 13 years ago) to my bags, and made sure they were visible.

This sort of overbearing declaration that there's ONE right way to live takes a tremendous toll on students who don't fit into whichever narrow worldview that's being promoted. For adolescents desperately trying to discover themselves, giant Bible verses on the wall can be a daily reminder that they're "failing." Narrowly defined roles can be so damaging.

TL;DR - You don't get to write Bible verses on the walls of a PUBLIC, FEDERALLY-FUNDED institution!!! Especially not one that caters to CHILDREN. Ugh.

I think I love you for this! :lol:

I was born and raised in Phoenix, so I am curious. Which suburb?

Gilbert, of course. Where the Mormons run the school department.

It might be reminiscent, but it's hardly the same thing from a legal perspective if these quotes are physically painted on a public school district property. I would say it's more akin to a statue of the Ten Commandments on courthouse property. Anyway...it's terrible for multiple reasons!

Painting religious quotes on school hallways and cheerleaders painting bible verses on spirit banners have the same genesis. Both demonstrate that for many in this part of the country, there is NO boundary between church and state -- or in this instance, school. There is such a powerful sense that everyone is Christian, or ought to be, that they feel it is their RIGHT to bring their Christian religion into the public/civic sphere, and if it isn't their right, it ought to be! That was my point.

As Rubaiyat wrote

Still laughing about the Boss Hogg superintendent -- funny in an awful kind of way. I'm sure that type is still everywhere in Texas and the South in schools and law enforcement, but hoping that they are being recognized for the dinosaurs they are and are slowly fading away.

I went to school in SE Texas and don't remember any bible hoopla. Maybe I got lucky!

It's so easy to fact check these days! Goodness gracious, no excuse.

I get the Bible verses thing- but a shirt that just reads "faith, family, etc" could just be faith, right? I mean, that's not specific to any religion, right? Faith encompasses more than just religious ideas. Unless there's a specific verse or faith mentioned is it still a problem?

I get the Bible verses thing- but a shirt that just reads "faith, family, etc" could just be faith, right? I mean, that's not specific to any religion, right? Faith encompasses more than just religious ideas. Unless there's a specific verse or faith mentioned is it still a problem?

Yes it's a problem. Because you know fucking well that they're not talking about faith in the justice system, or faith in the general goodness of man, or even faith in the weather forecast. And to say otherwise is offensively disingenuous.

I went to school in SE Texas and don't remember any bible hoopla. Maybe I got lucky!

It's so easy to fact check these days! Goodness gracious, no excuse.

Southeast like Beaumont or more like Corpus Christi?

Yes it's a problem. Because you know fucking well that they're not talking about faith in the justice system, or faith in the general goodness of man, or even faith in the weather forecast. And to say otherwise is offensively disingenuous.

Ok. I get that. I was just thinking it could be any faith or religion so it's not forcing any particular religion, just faith in something or anything. Generic, I guess.

The definition of faith http://i.word.com/idictionary/faith

I see that the antonym is atheism so I can see why there is a problem there.

Ok. I get that. I was just thinking it could be any faith or religion so it's not forcing any particular religion, just faith in something or anything. Generic, I guess.

If you look at the picture of that shirt, the "T" in "faith" is a Christian cross, pretty obviously. Not very ambiguous (or subtle), IMHO. They're advocating Christianity, no question about it.

Normally I don't address sl because under bridge, mythical land, etc, etc.., but really? Sl? Think about context... context...context...

I'd say the cross as a the "t" in faith is a pretty big honking clue to what they mean.

I'd say the cross as a the "t" in faith is a pretty big honking clue to what they mean.

I honestly didn't notice the "t" was a cross. Didn't look at it closely. Point made.

Now that I look again it's glaringly obvious. Haha sorry!

The "T" in "faith" on that shirt is made from a cross. It's clearly referencing Christian faith.

ETA: whoops, didn't realize there was a page 2 and this was pointed out a bajillion times already. :)

Archived