IGNORED

"I Don't Need No Arab, Telling Me What To Do"

freejingerbeth

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/nc-coun ... hat-to-do/

The Lincoln County Board of Commissioners had always opened government meetings with Christian prayer. About two months ago, officials decided that in order to avoid legal trouble, they’d have to let everyone participate.

That didn’t last long.

On Monday, commission chairman Carrol Mitchem, who had previously announced he wouldn’t “bow to minorities†and that he “ain’t gonna have no new religion or pray to Allah†at board meetings, held true to his word and walked out on the first person to address the North Carolina government meeting with a Muslim prayer, the Lincoln Times-News reports.

“That was very upsetting. It was upsetting,†Dustin Barto of the Foothills Interfaith Assembly, who had led the Muslim prayer, told WSCOTV.

By the end of the meeting, all prayer was banned at board meetings and will be replaced with a moment of silence. Commissioner Alex Patton initiated the motion which was easily voted into effect.

“To me, the final straw was when our chairman got up and walked out,†Patton told WSCOTV, adding that the commission needs to focus on pressing matters like the economy and education.

The issue of prayer at the meetings had generated months of controversy, the station reported.

Previously, Mitchem had vowed to keep Christian-only prayers at the meetings.

“I don’t believe we need to be bowing to the minorities,†Mitchem had told WBTV. “The U.S. and the Constitution were founded on Christianity. This is what the majority of people believe in, and it’s what I’m standing up for.â€

The issue came up after nearby Rowan County was ordered by a federal judge to stop opening public meetings with sectarian prayer because it violated the Constitution.

“I don’t need no Arab or Muslim or whoever telling me what to do or us here in the county what to do about praying. If they don’t like it, stay the hell away,†Mitchem had responded. “We’re fighting Muslims every day. I’m not saying they’re all bad. They believe in a different God than I do. If that’s what they want to do, that’s fine. But, they don’t need to be telling us, as Christians, what we need to be doing. They don’t need to be rubbing our faces in it.â€

Islam is one of the three Abrahamic religions and does, in fact, adhere to the same God as Judaism and Christianity, Jibril Hough, spokesman for the Islamic Center of Charlotte, pointed out.

“If you don’t believe the rights of the minority are equal to the rights of the majority, then you are against what America stands for,†Hough told the Charlotte Observer. “That’s why we live in a democratic republic.â€

Mitchem sounds like such an educated man. I can't believe people are questioning him. :roll:

“If you don’t believe the rights of the minority are equal to the rights of the majority, then you are against what America stands for,†Hough told the Charlotte Observer.

Exactly. And now the guy who walked out is probably crying about now his religious freedom has been violated.

Exactly. And now the guy who walked out is probably crying about now his religious freedom has been violated.

What I want to know is, how does someone like him even get elected? If I heard a political candidate make a speech, liberally interspersed with double negatives, I would never think, "Yeah, that's my guy. He should be in office." I wonder who the other choices were? :think:

What I want to know is, how does someone like him even get elected? If I heard a political candidate make a speech, liberally interspersed with double negatives, I would never think, "Yeah, that's my guy. He should be in office." I wonder who the other choices were? :think:

He gets elected because apparently a lot of people feel the same way he does. Which is even more depressing.

“I don’t need no Arab or Muslim or whoever telling me what to do or us here in the county what to do about praying. If they don’t like it, stay the hell away,” Mitchem had responded. “We’re fighting Muslims every day. I’m not saying they’re all bad. They believe in a different God than I do. If that’s what they want to do, that’s fine. But, they don’t need to be telling us, as Christians, what we need to be doing. They don’t need to be rubbing our faces in it.”

But it's totes cool for him to rub their faces in it, presumably. :music-tool:

Welcome to North Carolina where a guy like this getting elected isn't abnormal.

Religion and group prayer of any kind has no place in government buildings or meetings. I'm a strict believer in the separation of church and state.

Someone should tell that dude that the founding fathers didn't actually base anything on "Christian ideas."

Doesn't matter to these types. You can have a million people telling them them truth and they will cling to David Barton and his made up Jefferson quotes.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/nc-county-commissioner-storms-out-of-meeting-during-muslim-prayer-i-dont-need-no-arab-telling-me-what-to-do/

“I don’t need no Arab or Muslim or whoever telling me what to do or us here in the county what to do about praying. If they don’t like it, stay the hell away,†Mitchem had responded. “We’re fighting Muslims every day. I’m not saying they’re all bad. They believe in a different God than I do. If that’s what they want to do, that’s fine. But, they don’t need to be telling us, as Christians, what we need to be doing. They don’t need to be rubbing our faces in it.â€

Islam is one of the three Abrahamic religions and does, in fact, adhere to the same God as Judaism and Christianity, Jibril Hough, spokesman for the Islamic Center of Charlotte, pointed out.

“If you don’t believe the rights of the minority are equal to the rights of the majority, then you are against what America stands for,†Hough told the Charlotte Observer. “That’s why we live in a democratic republic.â€

Mitchem sounds like such an educated man. I can't believe people are questioning him. :roll:

He really does, doesn't he? First of all... THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN A DIFFERENT GOD. :pull-hair: IT IS ONE GOD. AND CHRISTIANS IN EGYPT PRAY TO ALLAH BECAUSE ALLAH MEANS "GOD." :angry-banghead:

Second of all, HE'S PREACHING FOR EQUALITY and doesn't even realize it. It's like saying "I could care less." Yes, yes you could. You could care a lot less and the world would be better off if you'd go into your den, shout at Fox News on your teevee and leave everybody else the hell alone. :disgust:

The struggle is real for Godly Men® like him. How dare minorities and Allah worshipers come to 'Mercia, a Christian nation? Has Faux News weighed in? Everyday in this country, Christians are persecuted. It's a "War on Prayer!" :pray:

...so in the end, he helped freedom of religion win? Because it's even more inclusive than the other two options.

I'm sure he doesn't see it that way. He's clearly a champion for Christianity. I just wish all champions for Christianity would have such a positive impact.

...so in the end, he helped freedom of religion win? Because it's even more inclusive than the other two options.

I'm sure he doesn't see it that way. He's clearly a champion for Christianity. I just wish all champions for Christianity would have such a positive impact.

The Satanic Temple is steadfastly trying in their stead.

Pretty sure he doesn't really understand his own religion or the Muslim faith if he thinks they worship different Gods. Sad that this is the sort of person who thinks they're an excellent representative of their faith. The only difference between men like him and the Taliban is the fact that our Governmental system has a series of checks and balances that keep religious assholes from completely imposing their beliefs onto other people (not that it stops assholes like this dipshit from trying.)

Pretty sure he doesn't really understand his own religion or the Muslim faith if he thinks they worship different Gods. Sad that this is the sort of person who thinks they're an excellent representative of their faith. The only difference between men like him and the Taliban is the fact that our Governmental system has a series of checks and balances that keep religious assholes from completely imposing their beliefs onto other people (not that it stops assholes like this dipshit from trying.)

Isn't there also the irony that Muslims believe that Jesus was a prophet too (although Mohammed was the final prophet?) Also heard that many Muslims celebrate Christmas for this reason.

They'd know this if they'd bother to learn ANYTHING about Islam beyond right wing talking points.

Isn't there also the irony that Muslims believe that Jesus was a prophet too (although Mohammed was the final prophet?) Also heard that many Muslims celebrate Christmas for this reason.

They'd know this if they'd bother to learn ANYTHING about Islam beyond right wing talking points.

Yes there is. Jesus is considered a major and important Prophet in the Muslim Faith. The main differences are that in Islam, Jesus is not the son of God and Mohammed is the final and most important of the Prophets. I don't know whether they celebrate Christmas though - there may be some sects that do or some families who like to celebrate it.

Other than that, from what I know the two faiths (along with Judaism) tend to teach the same basic things: one God, love your neighbor, treat others well, etc.

I guess this guy doesn't know that Arabs can be Christians too. In fact, a majority of Arab Americans are Christian (63%), whereas only 24% are Muslim:

http://www.arabamericanmuseum.org/umage ... et-web.pdf (the religious information starts on page 13)

Of course, Arab Christians tend to be Catholic, Orthodox, or Coptic, not "Bible Believing Christians," so they'd still be the "wrong kind" of Christians in the eyes of many, despite hailing from the oldest Christian communities in the world. :roll:

I guess this guy doesn't know that Arabs can be Christians too. In fact, a majority of Arab Americans are Christian (63%), whereas only 24% are Muslim:

http://www.arabamericanmuseum.org/umage ... et-web.pdf (the religious information starts on page 13)

Of course, Arab Christians tend to be Catholic, Orthodox, or Coptic, not "Bible Believing Christians," so they'd still be the "wrong kind" of Christians in the eyes of many, despite hailing from the oldest Christian communities in the world. :roll:

Plus, most Muslims are not Arabic. But then, these types tend to associate White and Christian in the same way they associate Arab and Muslim. So it's a big ol' ball of racism and religious discrimination.

Serious eye roll. This is why we have the establishment clause, and an emphasis on separation of church and state. I'd rather nobody got to have their religion in government meetings than have to sit through 50+ prayers so that all gods can be present.

In a way, I think he would complain if a Jewish Rabbi gave a prayer since it wasn't a Christian prayer.

The U.S. Constitution was founded on Christianity, was it?

Here's a fun little exercise: Read the U.S. Constitution and its Amendments, especially the first http://constitutionus.com/

Look for the word "Christian" or "Christianity". Then, try to figure out what "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" means.

The U.S. Constitution was founded on Christianity, was it?

Here's a fun little exercise: Read the U.S. Constitution and its Amendments, especially the first http://constitutionus.com/

Look for the word "Christian" or "Christianity". Then, try to figure out what "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" means.

Damn Canadians and their metric Constitutions. :wink-kitty:

Archived