IGNORED

Who are the fundie preachers?

luv2laugh

I have to figure this out I am having a FB debate with someone haha. Is John Piper fundie? I know CS lewis isn't considered fundie but a lot of fundies quote him.... Voddie Baucham is... who else am I missing?

Well, I guess it depends on what kind of "brand" a fundie belongs to.

Steven Anderson aka PP of Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe is one of the most crazy and notorious, he is so wacky that probably even many fundies think he takes things too far.

Steven Anderson aka PP of Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe is one of the most crazy and notorious, he is so wacky that probably even many fundies think he takes things too far.

Completely agree!! W/ both statements!!

Most folks I know from fundie-dom would consider Piper fundie-lite. Same with MacArthur, DeYoung and Sproul. All are very much respected in reformed fundie circles, though.

Sproul, Jr., Marcus Serven, Geoffrey Botkin, Voddie Baucham, Jame McDonald(pre-Illinois Oiler career change) or Joe Morecraft would be considered more fundie. Even in fundie circles, not all are equally liked. Adherents of one don't necessarily go for the teachings of all.

Scott Brown, NCFIC. Thought of by some as Dougie's heir apparent.

Scott Brown, NCFIC. Thought of by some as Dougie's heir apparent.

And while he's not a preacher, there's also Bill Potter - he's definitely taken up the cosplay portion of the VF empire.

I'd add Douglas Wilson and Tim Bayly to the fundies.

For some reason, I always forget Tim Bayly. Must be trying to block it out - he's been a guest preacher at my old church. And his father was a much-respected figure in Christian publishing. I'm not as familiar with the late Mr. Bayly, though the older generation at my church growing up seemed to be fans. I get the impression that, rather like the Sprouls, the senior Bayly tended more fundie-lite while the son is more hardcore fundie.

For some reason, I always forget Tim Bayly. Must be trying to block it out - he's been a guest preacher at my old church. And his father was a much-respected figure in Christian publishing. I'm not as familiar with the late Mr. Bayly, though the older generation at my church growing up seemed to be fans. I get the impression that, rather like the Sprouls, the senior Bayly tended more fundie-lite while the son is more hardcore fundie.

Yes, that's true. While Joe Bayly Sr. was hardly a liberal, he still held some positions that would be unthinkable among today's fundie crowd. For example, he was pro-gun control.

Most folks I know from fundie-dom would consider Piper fundie-lite. Same with MacArthur, DeYoung and Sproul. All are very much respected in reformed fundie circles, though.

Sproul, Jr., Marcus Serven, Geoffrey Botkin, Voddie Baucham, Jame McDonald(pre-Illinois Oiler career change) or Joe Morecraft would be considered more fundie. Even in fundie circles, not all are equally liked. Adherents of one don't necessarily go for the teachings of all.

ITA. Re bolded: that is for damn sure; I'm pretty sure Sproul Jr leads the race on that one though his father is almost revered by many. Interestingly, several of the ones you mentioned could almost be hybrids- ie, Sproul Sr has advocated head covering, but is more "liberal" in other areas, like the definition of modesty and allowing women to work. Fair amount of rancor there w/Jr's theology.

I'd agree that Piper is a theologian. I'd consider him Fundie-light.

Piper and Sproul Sr are liked by many mainstream Reformed folks, I'd definitely call them theologians (as much as I disagree with them!).

You'd definitely have to specify what brand you're looking for. Just type "Independent Fundamental Baptist King James Soul Winning Separated" into Google and that will get you started in on the IFBx ones.

Archived