IGNORED

I found a bird, now what to do?

ChickeyMonkey

My husband spotted a bird in our across-the-street neighbors' yard and I went to catch it because I thought it was another neighbor's cockatiel. It turns out the bird is probably a dove (white) and I'm not sure if it's someone's pet because it seems pretty tame. I was able to catch it with a towel and we put it in a cage my husband had made for the quails he used to have. The bird is missing feathers on its head (top) and back of its neck, as well as on its back/wings, kinda where its shoulder blades would be, if that makes sense. My husband thinks it's a baby because of the missing feathers, but to me it looks like it was picked on by another bird. My mom used to have a flight-cage full of finches and one finch was picked on by the other birds (incidentally, it was also white), and this is what it looks like to me.

I called my vet and they don't treat birds, but they did suggest a vet who might. I don't have a lot of money right now (neither my husband or I are working right now) and I'm afraid the vet won't take it if I can't pay. Maybe the Humane Society would take it?

Does anyone have any ideas? Also, I don't want to feed it just birdseed since I know that it's not good for them if it's all they're eating, so does anyone know what would be good to give it?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a local SPCA or shelter? Perhaps they'd have some ideas on feeding, even if you don't want to take the bird to them? If you know what to feed it and it doesn't seem too sick/injured, your local paper probably does free 'found' notices, I'm assuming.

I think I'll call the Humane Society tomorrow and see if they'll take it. A former coworker of mine got a parakeet there, so I know they take birds.

Guest Anonymous

There's actually a lost bird network if you are pretty sure it belongs to someone-

My friend lost her cockasomething, about the size of a large robin, was missing for MONTHS, she contacted the network and found the damn bird. (which we all hated because it would divebomb our heads when we came in the door because she let it be free range)

There's actually a lost bird network if you are pretty sure it belongs to someone-

My friend lost her cockasomething, about the size of a large robin, was missing for MONTHS, she contacted the network and found the damn bird. (which we all hated because it would divebomb our heads when we came in the door because she let it be free range)

Ok, for some reason "cockasomething" has me laughing my ass off! :lol:

As for the hurt bird, try feeding it some baby food. The meat kind. You'll probably have to adopt it if no one claims it. Either that or let nature take its course. It might be a baby since this is the time that spring hatchlings are fledging. It could have been picked on by its nestmates.

bird vets are expensive my checkup for my quaker was 100.00

put in bird rescue in google with your city and creigslist.

People who release "doves" at weddings and such sometimes lose their birds.

They're supposed to fly back home but they don't always.

I took the bird to Project Wildlife this evening and the nice women there told me that it's a domestic pigeon, but it looks like a dove because it's white. They couldn't take it because its a domestic animal, but suggested I take it to animal control who will post a flyer before putting it up for adoption. As to the missing feathers, the lady said that it was probably attacked by the wild pigeons because it looks different (being white). The bird is really tame and my youngest likes to pet it while saying "soft, soft" yet isn't really soft enough.

I think I'll make up fliers and put them on all the doors on my street. If I don't hear from anyone in a few days, I'll take it to Animal Control. It's a really sweet bird, though.

Archived