IGNORED

A couple interesting infographics

DuggarsTheEndIsNear

I'm posting this here because it reminds me of the Duggar's claim that we can all fit in the city limits of Jacksonville, Fl (for what it's worth they aren't wrong, since the entire population of the world could sit and/or stand next to each other and still fit in the confines of the city; but that hardly means anything).

This person originally made a couple images showing how big a city would have to be to fit the entire population (then 6.9 million people) with the same density as famous cities around the world. Then, after numerous people commented that the hypothetical cities weren't that big and clearly there was more room for expanding populations, the original poster went back and changed the maps to how much space we would take up if we all lived like the average person in certain locations.

persquaremile.com/2012/08/08/if-the-worlds-population-lived-like/

Thanks, that was good. We all know the "there's no overpopulation problem" argument is stupid, but these graphics really help show us why. I think even the Duggars could understand them, but they probably wouldn't accept them.

I'm posting this here because it reminds me of the Duggar's claim that we can all fit in the city limits of Jacksonville, Fl (for what it's worth they aren't wrong, since the entire population of the world could sit and/or stand next to each other and still fit in the confines of the city; but that hardly means anything).

This person originally made a couple images showing how big a city would have to be to fit the entire population (then 6.9 million people) with the same density as famous cities around the world. Then, after numerous people commented that the hypothetical cities weren't that big and clearly there was more room for expanding populations, the original poster went back and changed the maps to how much space we would take up if we all lived like the average person in certain locations.

persquaremile.com/2012/08/08/if-the-worlds-population-lived-like/

:clap: :clap: Great info! Now go tell Michelle Duggar.

I agree with docmom, that was a great link. Totally agree that the Duggars would still not accept them - they love their flawed logic!

Thanks, that was good. We all know the "there's no overpopulation problem" argument is stupid, but these graphics really help show us why. I think even the Duggars could understand them, but they probably wouldn't accept them.

Technically, it doesn't look to me like there IS an overpopulation problem IF all of us lived like those in Bangladesh. Of course, this would mean giving up our consumerist lifestyles, ditching meat-heavy diets and quite a few other changes that many of us simply aren't willing (and maybe even not able) to make. We're squandering resources while others are barely making do with the minimum.

That infographic puts me to shame.

Overpopulation has to do with carrying capacity of an ecosystem. It's not a pure numbers deal. As long as you're putting back as much or more than what you're taking from an environment, there isn't a problem. But, once you start removing more than what you put back, the ecosystem suffers and problems like famine, disease, drought, etc occur.

And, yes, the UAE uses more than the US because of Dubai and the recourses needed to provide everything they've designed.

What are y'all talking about? Food comes from Aldi, not, like farms and stuff like liberals buy their food from.

What are y'all talking about? Food comes from Aldi, not, like farms and stuff like liberals buy their food from.

With this many kids, we have to make sure every penny counts. After all, food doesn't grow on trees!

/Kid Farm

Archived