IGNORED

Fundie blogs and talking about dieting?

Deleted08

Ever noticed that's something fundie women are really into? I remember Michelle Duggar always talked about her Weight Watchers experience back in the day (Still loved Jimbob eating candy behind her LOL).

Is it because the baby weight from all these pregnancies or one of those " I suffer for Christ, my body is my temple"

type stuff?

Being healthy is important but they spend lots of time blabbing about it.

I can see how dieting would be appealing to some fundie women, because it's the only thing they have control over, especially the daughters who were raised in the lifestyle. Many of them can't decide what clothes to wear, and some of them can't even decide when to go the bathroom, but most of them are allowed to say that they don't want as much food because they are dieting.

There's also talk in pretty much of the submission/headship type marriage books about staying attractive, being slim, etc. It's made into an even bigger thing in some of the Fascinating Womanhood classes. Some preachers also sort of blame/excuses men who stray or cheat on wives "letting themselves go", which implies gaining weight or not keeping your appearance the same as when you were dating.

Also, a lot of fundie bloggers are very prone to belief common memes and assumptions without looking at further evidence, even when they have been proven wrong. These means that many still think weight=health, and many also subscribe to the idea that weight is a character issue, and staying slim is one more thing for them to feel better than others about.

I guess in some cases, when there's not food in abundance because of the sheer size of the family, it gives a woman the feeling she's making a sacrifice for her family. e.g., "I really only want one little spoonful of Tater Tot Casserole so that my children can have more."

It could also be that it's the one way women are *allowed* to be attractive. In some circles, you're not supposed to wear flattering clothes, you have to wear a headcovering, no makeup, etc, so having a slim figure is one of the few ways you can make yourself pretty.

Archived