IGNORED

Muncks went "sledding"

Justme

She has a new blog with lots of "sledding" pic's. The kids are in sleds and a rope ties them to a small vehicle (we called them bobcats, not sure if that is the universal term). Yikes! This seems pretty dangerous. What if the vehicle stops but the sled keeps going underneath.... :pink-shock:

She has a new blog with lots of "sledding" pic's. The kids are in sleds and a rope ties them to a small vehicle (we called them bobcats, not sure if that is the universal term). Yikes! This seems pretty dangerous. What if the vehicle stops but the sled keeps going underneath.... :pink-shock:

But they are having fun! Stevehovah is not pleased.

I guess it probably is dangerous, but I had never considered that before. All the kids in my town do that in the winter, older kids will drive a four-wheeler with the younger kids riding sleds pulled behind.

Kids in rural towns do all sorts of stupid shit to entertain themselves. Although I have no idea where the Muncks live.

I guess it probably is dangerous, but I had never considered that before. All the kids in my town do that in the winter, older kids will drive a four-wheeler with the younger kids riding sleds pulled behind.

Kids in rural towns do all sorts of stupid shit to entertain themselves. Although I have no idea where the Muncks live.

They're in Tennessee. That's why the snow is a big deal.

They also have some birthday celebration pics at a Mexican Restaurant. What is it with fundies and Mexican food?

Unlimited chips & salsa! Let those youngins fill up on those & order them a few cheap tacos. Cheap dinner.

They're in Tennessee. That's why the snow is a big deal.

Umm IIRC they are in the foothills of TN. they should see snow a few times a year. In fact most of TN gets a few snow events. (I grew up on the other side in western NC and we saw snow plenty). I know people who did the sledding 4wheeler (or even pick up trucks yikes!) thing and always thought it was extremely stupid.

As for Mexican places, from living in small rural towns in the south it's my experience that food choices are either fast food or Mexican. I've also seen this play out on 16and pregnant so I'm pretty sure it's a weirdly universal link. I don't know what it is with rednecks and Mexican food ( you'd think they'd want all de emigrants banished) but they sure do create enough supply to have a resturant.

Umm IIRC they are in the foothills of TN. they should see snow a few times a year. In fact most of TN gets a few snow events. (I grew up on the other side in western NC and we saw snow plenty). I know people who did the sledding 4wheeler (or even pick up trucks yikes!) thing and always thought it was extremely stupid.

As for Mexican places, from living in small rural towns in the south it's my experience that food choices are either fast food or Mexican. I've also seen this play out on 16and pregnant so I'm pretty sure it's a weirdly universal link. I don't know what it is with rednecks and Mexican food ( you'd think they'd want all de emigrants banished) but they sure do create enough supply to have a resturant.

So are the Mexican Restaurants authentic? Or are they run by non-Mexicans? Just curious. In my town you have about 100 taquerias run by people from Mexico ( usually first generation, sometimes not ) and a few pricier actual Mexican Restaurants and then there are a few other places run by Anglos that have some horribly bland Mexican food.

A popular activity around here is called biscuiting. Being towed behind a boat at speed, in an innertube. Seems like it would be a lot more dangerous but I've never seen anyone hurt.

The 4x4 appears to be barely going over walking speed. If the driver were going any faster those wee kids would be on the floor.

I love that this family seems to know how to have a good time. The kids have such life in their eyes compared to some we know!

A lot of stiga snow racers and a plastic sled tied behind a snowmobile, that is how we did it in our childhood. It is still a common practice where I live and I haven't ever heard of severe accidents, that is, more than a few bruises. We were allowed to do this whenever we went to check fishing nets or traps. No-one was allowed to be in a stiga before he/she was able jump off when necessary, this usually happened when someone fell off of a stiga before you. My only accident happened when our snowmobile driver started to drive in a circle and I just couldn't hold tight enough and fell. It happened so quickly that a child behind didn't have time to jump off and drove over me. But nothing happened, I just laughed because it was such absurd situation. We were on a lake and I had thick cloth layer on and a snow layer under me bended.

But our stigas were tied in a line on one another, not like their sleds. I think their version is much more dangerous because they can collide and/or get tangled with ropes. We rotated our turns. The last one on a sled became "a leader" whenever he/she fell off of a sled and in turns everyone was in a last sled and in stigas. Stigas were preferred because they were maneuverable, a sled just glided uncontrollably (and for me that was part of the fun but it was the only sled and the last one so it couldn't collide with other sleds or stigas).

When in a lake we were allowed to steer stigas but whenever we went off lake we had to follow a snowmobile turns. And whenever someone fell off, a snowmobile driver stopped driving ans everyone in stigas was expected to brake.

Bolded for truth... I think back to some of the things we did when I was a kid, and I'm amazed we all made it through childhood relatively unscathed. We never tied sleds to vehicles, but we did build a ramp at the bottom of our huge sledding hill, so we would go airborne at the bottom. We also has astonishingly free access to firecrackers, cherry bombs, and bottle rockets. One of our normal summer past times was tying bottle rockets to matchbox cars and watching them speed down the road before blowing up!

It is dangerous and stupid. My husband and his cousins did this when they were kids. One of the cousins got thrown off and was knocked unconscious. Another time (yeah...they went back for more) my husband nearly ended up under the wheels. You do not combine sleds with motor vehicles. It's too unpredictable. All it takes is an animal to run across in front of the driver.

Munck family, please go and find a hill that is devoid of trees and sled down that. Much safer and fun for all. Also a better workout. I still remember tugging that sled repeatedly to the top of the hill at the golf course we sledded at when I was a kid.

"Bolded for truth... I think back to some of the things we did when I was a kid, and I'm amazed we all made it through childhood relatively unscathed."

My younger brother and I were just talking about all the small makeshift bombs we put together in our backyard. It's a fucking miracle we didn't blow an arm off or something.

The closest Wal-Mart was over an hour away. We didn't even have a grocery store or a gas station in our town. One paved road in the entirety of the city limits. So we just fucked around in our backyard with dangerous activities all day.

We used to do this, except for a truck with innertubes in the mud in the spring. :P And we made our own explosives (or taped firecrackers together) and stuff too. Also rode in the back of an untopped (well, somtimes it had the shell on top) flatbed truck.

Oddly, the most injuries I saw were going tubing in the snow *without* motorization. Pretty much you'd walk to the top of the hill, ride on an inner tube going at high speed until you either baled (the smart thing) or hit the wall of hay bales at the bottom (I think I new multiple people who broke arms/legs/collarbones each year doing that). Also knew more people who got hurt diving off bridges/into ponds or rivers or had a rope swing break under them, ect.

I don't romanticize this, but...I guess if you live in somewhat isolated circumstances or in a community (there are many) where it is not unfathomable that people might ski without helmets (I never saw anyone do that until I grew up and had my own kids!)...maybe it's a country kid thing.

Would I get pissed off at my kids if I found out they did the sledding by 4x4 or whatever, yeah. Just like I'd be peeved at them making their own 2liter soda bottle acid bombs, ect. It is a good way to get hurt. but most people who do it don't; and I think in the communities where it's still widespread there's a bunch of people who shrug and say, "well, back in my day people didn't have X/Y/Z". Time does funny things to the memory too. My parents bitched and moaned about seatbelts for them, how annoying carseats were for my kids, ect--like they didn't remember all the people who died from minor car wrecks and things like my mother losing her two front teeth in a fender bender when she was 19 (left them behind in the steering wheel cover--no seatbelt), children being tossed around in the car, ect.

Honestly looks a lot safer than rocketing down a steep icy hill head first on a piece of plastic, at night - that's what sledding it around here.

I just went back and looked again. The multiple tow lines for multiple sleds is also a recipe for disaster. Honestly, what's wrong with a saucer sled and a very small hill? My husband was traveling through Amish country last week and saw two sleds being pulled by a 4 wheeler & they were flying. He couldn't believe it since there's been a couple of fatalities in that area over the past ten years from doing the exact same thing. He asked why they didn't learn and I told him that perhaps evolution hadn't reached them yet.

I do know around here that if you get caught doing that, CPS is called and there are some stiff fines. The Muncks are my pet fundies and I expect my pet fundies to know better!

We used to do that as kids, except we were being drug by snowmobiles and were on toboggans. One toboggan per snowmobile at a time and one snowmobile moving at a time.

Safest pastime in the world? Probably not. Fun? Yep.

In the photos it looks like they are using a golf cart to pull the kids? Anyway it seems pretty flat terrain, and I guess the danger is largely connected to how fast they're going, which we can't tell from the photos. I'm a pretty cautious person but this just doesn't seem that bad to me.

Unlimited chips & salsa! Let those youngins fill up on those & order them a few cheap tacos. Cheap dinner.

*tiny voice* because Mexican is tasty? i mean, not to defend fundies but sometimes a tortilla chip is just a tortilla chip, so to speak.

*tiny voice* because Mexican is tasty? i mean, not to defend fundies but sometimes a tortilla chip is just a tortilla chip, so to speak.

:text-yeahthat:

Archived