IGNORED

New blog - children of God cult survivor

Beeks

Hey all,

It's been a while! I have a friend who just started a blog that will chronicle her experience growing up in the Children of God cult. She wanted to grow her blog and I thought you all might be interested in her story.

Lettinggoofyesturday.blogspot.com (yes the name is misspelled - that is the correct blog address though)

Thanks for the link! Your friend is courageous for coming forward and telling her story. I read a book about the Children of God cult called "Not Without My Sister". Reading about the backlash from the cult that one of the sisters got for trying to get her sisters out just makes me appreciate survivors coming forward because it is not easy to do.

Beeks, thanks for posting.

Bookgirl, do you recommend the book?

Yes I recommend it. Its interesting reading. Beware lots of sexual abuse though.

I became aware of COG fairly early on through, of all things, the original Fleetwood Mac. One of their original guitarists, Jeremy Spencer, disappeared mid-tour in the early 70s and turned up in the cult. He's still a member to this day, I think. Yet another cult where sexual abuse runs rampant. No surprise there, unfortunately. COG is the group that promotes Flirty Fishing, right? Where young women are used as sexual bait to lure potential converts. Charming.

I'll be interested in reading the blog. Very brave of her to come forward.

I have learned more COG in recent years because Joaquin Phoenix and Rose McGowan grew up in chapters of the cult and spoken out against it.

Gosh I need to start re-reading abut COG. I remember reading about them years ago. Was this related at all to The Family cult? For some reason my synapses are putting those together.

ETA: Yes, I just googled and it is related to The Family - Have a former friend whose parents lived in Family commune for years. I don't think it helped with her social skills or ability to manage interpersonal conflict - which is why we are no longer friends.

I became aware of COG fairly early on through, of all things, the original Fleetwood Mac. One of their original guitarists, Jeremy Spencer, disappeared mid-tour in the early 70s and turned up in the cult. He's still a member to this day, I think. Yet another cult where sexual abuse runs rampant. No surprise there, unfortunately. COG is the group that promotes Flirty Fishing, right? Where young women are used as sexual bait to lure potential converts. Charming.

I'll be interested in reading the blog. Very brave of her to come forward.

Wow, I didn't know that about Fleetwood Mac, can't wait to google it!

I first learned about COG when I randomly came across a documentary about it a few years back. It is pretty F'd up. I don't really know my friend's entire story (just bits and pieces about growing up all over the world, having to get her sisters out, etc), so I am also interested to read the rest of the blog as it comes.

Thanks for the kind response all - I'm going to let her know she might have some new readers. :)

I'll follow her blog, thanks for the link! I wanted to write an encouraging comment but have a personal policy about commenting as anything other than anonymous, and that wasn't an option.

Your friend is extremely brave. I wish her so much peace and strength.

Someone near and dear to my heart grew up within that cult and all I can say is those people are truly evil.

Just wanted to say I miss your posts Beeks.

Awww thanks. I do check in occasionally and I've been following the Zsu pregnancy. Maybe I'll get back to more regular posting sometime. I miss you guys too!

I have learned more COG in recent years because Joaquin Phoenix and Rose McGowan grew up in chapters of the cult and spoken out against it.

I've read stories about River and Rain Phoenix panhandling for the COG and how the Phoenix family left over "Flirty Fishing".

this is the cult that River Phoenix's family was in, and that Rose McGowan escaped, right?

Yup it is. I recall that Rose's father was some kind of high ranking member.

Thanks for the link, i have read 'not without my sister' as well and its a great book. This is one sick cult, or was i have no idea if its still like it was in the 60s/70s

Archived