IGNORED

MLK document on FB

Rita

Going around today on Facebook, the Integrated Bus Solutions document from 1956.

There is a bit of turn-the-other-cheek attitude (is there a word for that?), but number 7 in the specific suggestions floored me. I suppose that was to avoid escalation.

I didn't realize how connected to religion their actions were/are. I just, thank you to the many civil rights activists.

Well, Dr. King was a preacher, so there's that. This is also proof that he was against using violence to bring about change.

Thanks for sharing this. I didn't get the tone of the document to be turn-the-other-cheek, but I imagine that if that was the intended tone it was, as you said, to avoid escalation. I'm sure most people had seen or been through enough violence to not want anymore of it, and it was probably best to focus on making integrated buses work and showing that, yes, we can have integrated buses and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I can't even fathom what people went through during the civil rights movement, women's rights movement, Chicano movement, etc, but I'm ever grateful that I don't have to go through it. I am where I am because others fought for me to have the right to be here, and to be what I want to be.

Thanks for sharing this. I didn't get the tone of the document to be turn-the-other-cheek, but I imagine that if that was the intended tone it was, as you said, to avoid escalation. I'm sure most people had seen or been through enough violence to not want anymore of it, and it was probably best to focus on making integrated buses work and showing that, yes, we can have integrated buses and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I can't even fathom what people went through during the civil rights movement, women's rights movement, Chicano movement, etc, but I'm ever grateful that I don't have to go through it. I am where I am because others fought for me to have the right to be here, and to be what I want to be.

I have been taught that the turn the other cheek was in fact a "avoid escalation" teaching to be used when met by Romans who were occupying forces. The carrying the extra mile, give your cloak as well, turning the other cheek were all methods that, at the time, were like the person taking the stone to the city council meeting and saying-- "here you go, stone me if that is what you think is right."

Archived