IGNORED

Gay marriage to blame for UK floods

constantgardener

A UKIP (UK Independence Party) councillor has blamed the recent flooding in the UK on the British government's decision to legalise gay marriage. David Silvester said, "The scriptures make it abundantly clear that a Christian nation that abandons its faith and acts contrary to the Gospel (and in naked breach of a coronation oath) will be beset by natural disasters such as storms, disease, pestilence and war." He goes on to blame British Prime Minister David Cameron specifically: "It is his fault that large swathes of the nation have been afflicted by storms and floods."

This is hilarious. I cannot believe there are many people who are going to take him seriously as a politician (albeit a minor one) now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-25793358

Not breaking link because it's the BBC.

They sure do like to blame the gays for everything. Silly fundies and their lack of understanding of how nature works.

What about all the other places that have legalised gay marriage and haven't been hit by natural disasters?

God has bad aim-I am a lesbian and was standing on Aberystwyth beach just a few days before the floods. :P

I see folks from his Party running for the hills trying to distance themselves.

If any UK gay tourists would like a scenic vacation while doing the Lord's work, the American West can use some precipitation.

I see folks from his Party running for the hills trying to distance themselves.

If any UK gay tourists would like a scenic vacation while doing the Lord's work, the American West can use some precipitation.

I'm waiting for Pat Robertson to blame the gays for the lack of precip out West. Floods, droughts, hurricanes, raging wildfires...gays just can't win for losing, amirite? :doh:

Someone famously wrote a letterto an MP here blaming our drought last summer on the Marriage Equality bill. On the morning of the final vote it was pouring in said MP's electorate :D

UKIP are a party of fucking mentalists, seriously. Every time they approach the seats of power, some emperor-has-no-clothes type points out that they only have one (badly thought out) policy and that nearly 100 percent of their public pronouncements are insane.

UKIP are a party of fucking mentalists, seriously. Every time they approach the seats of power, some emperor-has-no-clothes type points out that they only have one (badly thought out) policy and that nearly 100 percent of their public pronouncements are insane.

I am ashamed to even admit this, but the town where I grew up (and still live near) has the first UKIP controlled council in the country. The irony is it's an area full of big arable farmers who rely on Eastern European immigrants to do all their fieldwork because local people won't work for the pittance they pay. I just don't know what people are doing voting for them.

They sure do like to blame the gays for everything. Silly fundies and their lack of understanding of how nature works.

What about all the other places that have legalised gay marriage and haven't been hit by natural disasters?

God has bad aim-I am a lesbian and was standing on Aberystwyth beach just a few days before the floods. :P

I was standing there while it was flooding, and got a good picture of water going all the way up to the houses (before I ran away, that is).

Also, I have a friend who says he likes UKIP. I had no idea they were this extreme! :cray-cray:

I am ashamed to even admit this, but the town where I grew up (and still live near) has the first UKIP controlled council in the country. The irony is it's an area full of big arable farmers who rely on Eastern European immigrants to do all their fieldwork because local people won't work for the pittance they pay. I just don't know what people are doing voting for them.

*nods* Totally. It seems that UKIP are sort of the catch-all for everything people are upset about, but when you look at what they actually stand for, they'd make all of our problems worse.

Usually when I've asked English people (UKIP are pretty much nonexistent this side of the border) why they support them they reel off a long list of policies they believe UKIP would support - they're going to renationalise the railways! save the NHS! make sure there's no crime on our streets! get us out of the EU because we don't get any benefit from it at all, and all the money we save will go into our police force! Aside from the fact none of this is true (and the fact that UKIP exists makes me long even more for independence) if you actually do look at their policies they'll do even more harm than the eye-wateringly stupid policies that the Coalition is already inflicting on us.

Here's some examples:

Remove the UK from the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights.

Because what the UK needs is even less human rights, and no appeal for people who feel their rights have been violated. Of course.

Social Housing to be prioritised for people whose parents and grandparents were born locally.

Ridiculous and unworkable. Social housing has shifted, due to Thatcherite laws, from being a way that workers could have secure tenancy to a system where the neediest only get RSL housing. You cannot sensibly say that you will only house homeless people who can prove their grandparents were born locally unless you want a massive homelessness problem in your area.

I'd fail the test for starters - if I became homeless (and I have been) one of my parents was born in London and so were her parents. The other parent was born just outside my local council area and so were his parents. This would make me ineligible for council housing anywhere in the UK. If I rock up at the London council which hosts my mum's family, under UKIP rules they're going to turn me down for having one Scottish parent even though my mum's family have lived there and been born there for years. If I ask my dad's council for help, they could turn me down for having one non-Scottish parent and never having lived in the area in question. I have no relatives in the council area where I now reside, even though I work there and have significant ties to the area. I was born in a different council area where I have no family, and grew up in a different council area again where I also have no family aside from my parents (who moved there when my dad's work assigned him there).

See how this won't work, UKIP?

Ensure that benefits are only available for those who have lived here for over 5 years

That'll be interesting when it comes to newborn babies.

The law of the land must be single and apply to us all. We oppose any other system of law.

This is a completely meaningless proposal. Are they going to abolish Scots law, which is different from English law? If so, how the hell would they do this?

Aside from that, there is no other system of law which applies to UK citizens. Muslims and Jews can ask that their divorce is handled via a Sharia or Beit Din court, but both parties have to agree to this and it only works for divorce (a civil matter) not any other law. It's like using arbitration - both parties agree and the law of the land still overrules any proposal which threatens to breach it.

Archived