IGNORED

RIP Russell Johnson"The professor"

roddma

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale".... Russells Johnson, 89, died on Jan 16. he was known for playing Professor Roy Hinkley on "Gilligan's Island". he also had roles in numerous other movies and shows. "Gilligan's Island' is a cult classic. The late S Schwartz said in an interview he was alwaysat odds with the network over Ginjer's cleavaage and Mary Anne's naval.

I think the Professor inspired a lot of us baby boomers to study the sciences. (Yeah, the space shots helped and probably so did Jonny Quest's dad.) Anyway, here was this show and one of the characters was supposed to be really, really intelligent. The Professor knew everything! I read on Daily Kos (don't know that it was a personal recollection), but once someone had seen a familiar face on the ferry to Bainbridge Island, Washington. It was Russell Johnson and the other guy was a scientist. The scientist went over to the Professor and said how he'd inspired him to study science.

Russell Johnson was also an AIDS activist in his later years. Russell's son David had run the AIDS program for LA before he died of AIDS complications 1994. (David's lover had died in 1986.) Russell was an activist from David's diagnosis and continued that till he died of renal failure.

TV Land is showing a marathon of Gilligan's Island episodes in memory of Russell Johnson until 9 o'clock this evening.

ETA: TV Land is also going to start showing re-runs of Gilligan's Island at 7 PM daily! As much as I like The Andy Griffith Show, this is a good change. TV Land needs to about more than TAGS, Gunsmoke and Bonanza repeats during the day.

Mr. Johnson could play a bad guy very well. He's the eye candy in "Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Movie" with his role of a cowardly scientist in the movie-within-the-movie, "This Island Earth." A cinematic stinkeroo, but t did have Russell Johnson for a few minutes!

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure GIlligan would not be permissable in most Fundie households and TV is a sin to them anyway? Could you imagine the nikes in the Duggar house? Or maybe Joy Anna covering the TV screen everytime Mary Ann or Ginger came on?

Archived