IGNORED

Don't say those sex words -dad threaten over sex ed poster

Chowder Head

Damn! I forgot to read the comments.

But this makes me think of this one time a bunch of us girls took a How Fast Are You? (or whatever it was called) test in Junior High. We were maybe in eighth grade. Anyway you'd give yourself a point for each thing you'd experienced and there were lots of things on the list. I do think there was oral sex on the list, but not anal, but I'm not entirely sure. Some of the girls approached getting 100 points.

Did I mention that this happened in 1968? Or that the quiz was in a book on teenage relations that I'd gotten from the library? I don't remember if I got it from the ebil public library or from the school library.

No matter how much they sanitize things, people are going to find something to complain about. I was watching a clip of Rod Serling getting interviewed on the Mike Wallace Show in 1959. He talked about the time that he and his young daughters watched an episode of Lassie in which Lassie had puppies. He thought it was a beautiful, age-appropriate way of teaching children about birth. Other people disagreed. The network ended up getting flooded with letters complaining about the episode, saying things like "If I wanted my children to learn about sex, I'd take them to the burlesque." (Coincidentally, many of these angry letters had postmarks on the same day and from the same location.)

I'm a sexual health teacher and the questions I get in my anonymous question box would make some parents' toes curl due to what their children know and are experimenting with AND what they don't know (and are therefore endangering themselves).

I will say that I agree with the school's representative. As a stand-alone poster and without context, I can see that it might be...confusing for the kids. However, my 12 year old students receive a manual, written jointly by the Departments of Education and Health for my province that goes into WAY more detail than that.

Here's the thing. Many parents are great sources of information on sexual health for their kids. And many more WANT to be. But I've heard from kids over and over again that they would much rather ask me (or another health teacher) than ask their parents because they find it less embarrassing, less nerve-wracking and less emotional. They know I won't get mad, nervous, anxious or embarrassed. I won't grill them on what they've been doing and who they've been doing it with. They know I'll answer the question honestly and to the point and that the only questions I won't answer (or will tell them to ask a parent) deal with personal choice and opinion (should I have sex, for example). And, while that may not describe the response of many of parents out there, a lot of kids *think* their parents will react that way, so they don't bother asking.

Just because your kids aren't asking doesn't mean they aren't doing.

I'm a sexual health teacher and the questions I get in my anonymous question box would make some parents' toes curl due to what their children know and are experimenting with AND what they don't know (and are therefore endangering themselves).

I will say that I agree with the school's representative. As a stand-alone poster and without context, I can see that it might be...confusing for the kids. However, my 12 year old students receive a manual, written jointly by the Departments of Education and Health for my province that goes into WAY more detail than that.

Here's the thing. Many parents are great sources of information on sexual health for their kids. And many more WANT to be. But I've heard from kids over and over again that they would much rather ask me (or another health teacher) than ask their parents because they find it less embarrassing, less nerve-wracking and less emotional. They know I won't get mad, nervous, anxious or embarrassed. I won't grill them on what they've been doing and who they've been doing it with. They know I'll answer the question honestly and to the point and that the only questions I won't answer (or will tell them to ask a parent) deal with personal choice and opinion (should I have sex, for example). And, while that may not describe the response of many of parents out there, a lot of kids *think* their parents will react that way, so they don't bother asking.

THiS is why I'm so pro sex ed. I have all the info, and I dream of my kids feeling comfortable enough to talk to me about it when they're teenaged, but more than anything else I want them to have good information and a way to ask stupid questions, and since the odds of them asking me if they can get herpes from a guy going down on them when he has a cold sore are significantly less than zero, I am VERY glad there are people who are going to give them that info.

THiS is why I'm so pro sex ed. I have all the info, and I dream of my kids feeling comfortable enough to talk to me about it when they're teenaged, but more than anything else I want them to have good information and a way to ask stupid questions, and since the odds of them asking me if they can get herpes from a guy going down on them when he has a cold sore are significantly less than zero, I am VERY glad there are people who are going to give them that info.

but not if these people have their way. *stick fingers in ears* lalalalalal can;t hear :angry-banghead:

As a stand-alone poster with no information behind it, I'm not a fan of it. If it's part of a lesson plan (as the school representative stated) then I would want to know what that lesson plan entailed. I do think that some of these topics can be inappropriate for 13 year olds, depending on how the topic is presented. But I also think that a lot of these items are things that kids are going to be curious about and having an adult talk to them (as opposed to the potentially incorrect information that gets passed around on the schoolyard) is a good thing.

I'm wondering if this is another fall-out from the common core implementations that are happening. My daughter isn't in school yet, so I'm only seeing/hearing on common core from others but their general stance seems to be too many changes too fast and without parental involvement. (Not that all changes are bad ones.)

I believe I would take sexual education like any other subject. I want to know what you're going to teach my child before you teach it. I don't need detailed lesson plans but an overall idea of what's going on. I may drop my child off with you for a good number of hours each day, but that doesn't mean that my parenting stops during those hours.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/14/m ... -teen-sex/

Well, that school district would be seeing some complaints from me if my 13-year old was shown that "poster"....what about the childs aesthetic education, how will they ever learn that love and sex are good and exciting things based on that poor, ugly poster!

Just kidding ofcourse, but I really do hope this was just one part of a teaching material, it seems kind of weird just to put a list of sexual acts up on the wall.

Archived