IGNORED

Comstock Is A Hero!!

debrand

thebirthcontrolmovie.com/outlawed/

I have never heard of Comstock being called a hero and when I first read this I thought the writer was being ironic

As the world’s first billion dollar company was being formed, rural families flocked to the city and immigration exploded. New technologies coupled with metropolitan anonymity enabled the rapid spread of obscenity, contraception, and abortion. Insufficient laws had not caught up to new challenges and Comstock saw how these vices would have a detrimental effect on the family and American culture if not properly checked.

Comstock entered the fight. He began by making citizen’s arrests and incredibly within a year he found himself in Washington, DC meeting with congressmen and drafting the Postal Act of 1873. The Comstock Act, as it soon came to be known, passed in dramatic fashion during the final hours of the 42nd Congress and Comstock himself was shortly thereafter surprised with an appointment to be its chief enforcer with the newly created office of U.S. Post Office Special Agent.

Thus, he embarked on the life work in which he would serve for the next 42 years. This thrilling and remarkable story tells the account of how Anthony Comstock fought the battle for national purity and won.

Here is an article about The Comstock Act that wasn't written by a Christian Reconstructionists for those of you who don't think that censorship laws are wonderful.

case.edu/affil/skuyhistcontraception/online-2012/Comstock.html

The Comstock Act was amended in 1876 to read "Every obscene, lewd, or lascivious book, pamphlet, picture, paper, writing, print or other publication of an indecent character, and every article or thing designed or intended for the prevention of conception or procuring of abortion, and every article or thing intended or adapted for any indecent or immoral use, and every written or printed card, circular, book, pamphlet, advertisement, or notice of any kind giving information, directly or indirectly, where, or how, or of whom, or by what means, any of the hereinbefore mentioned matters, articles, or things may be obtained or made, and every letter upon the envelope of which, or postal card upon which, indecent, lewd, obscene, or lascivious delineations, epithets, terms, or language may be written or printed, are hereby declared to be non-mailable matter, and shall not be conveyed in the mails, nor delivered from any post-office, nor by any letter-carrier."

I guess I know where the inspiration came for Bioshock Infinite. :geek:

For those that aren't gamers, Bioshock Infinite is set in an steampunk 1910s city in the sky ruled by a religious zealot named Father Comstock aka The Prophet. There's more to the story, but it's heavily based on religious fundamentalism, history of racism and xenophobia in America, and quantum physics.

For those that aren't gamers, Bioshock Infinite is set in an steampunk 1910s city in the sky ruled by a religious zealot named Father Comstock aka The Prophet. There's more to the story, but it's heavily based on religious fundamentalism, history of racism and xenophobia in America, and quantum physics.

My entire family love Bioshock but for some weird reason, I'd never made the connection with Father Comstock until your post.

Bioshock was the first thing i thought of when i saw this thread. 8-)

Archived