IGNORED

Mitt Romney's Grandkids

halcionne

Melissa Harris-Perry and her round table had some thoughts on Mitt and Ann Romney's latest family photo: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/84533511.html link not broken b/c it's a gossip/news aggregator site.

Twenty-one grandchildren, and the newest is black. MHP asks the panel to come up with captions for the pic. Hilarity ensues.

For the FJers who don't know her/didn't see the video, MHP is a mixed-race woman of color whose mother's family are Mormon. If anyone is qualified to snark on Romney's grandkids, she is. Now she's issuing an apology for insensitive comments. A very classy apology, I might add. What I'm unclear on is exactly who she offended, but I can make several good guesses.

Get your fundie bingo cards ready, people. There is A LOT here to unpack, and it's giving me so many feelings that I'm all discombobulated and I'm sure I've missed something; where to begin? Matchy matchy gender role enforcing outfits! Adopting brown babies because Jesus! Inappropriate footwear! (Except that the weather is fine, and there are boys in flip flops, so maybe scratch that one. Ann's shoes are still questionable, imo)

It looks like Mittens' 200 year plan is going quite well, except for the leader-of-the-free-world part, but you can't win them all I guess. Here's a pic of the patriarch with all of his quiver's quivers: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/84 ... 4845541639 ONTD comments are made of win, as usual wrt quiverfull topics.

GUYS! GUYS! WE WERETHISCLOSE TO HAVING A DOMINIONIST PRESIDENT! Or something way too close to it for *my* comfort, at least. Apologies for excessive use of exclamation points and any incoherence. The threat of American theocracy does that to me.

I don't blame anyone for being offended. The 'joking' was in very poor taste. Who cares if she's a mixed race Mormon? If anything that gives her less of an excuse because she should be more sensitive about the issue. One of my close family members was adopted, would it be okay for me to go on national TV and make snarky jokes about an adopted kid in a family full of biological children just because I have experience with that in my own life? No. I'm glad she apologized.

Saw that. I question the taste of a nationally broadcast show to snark on a pic that is mainly a bunch of kids (however, I don't exactly have a leg to stand on as I'm writing this on a snark site). MPH's comment actually wasn't that offensive, said it would be funny if the child married North West. The other two comments were not really appropriate.

I look at it like this. If it had been a pic of Joe Biden in place of Mitt Romeny and had this happened on Fox news, what would the response had been from the left. It would be the same.

I think the apology was the right thing to do and not really unwarranted.

But yeah, expect all the fundies crying "free speech" over Phil Roberson will now be pitching a fit and calling for her resignation.

I don't blame anyone for being offended. The 'joking' was in very poor taste. Who cares if she's a mixed race Mormon? If anything that gives her less of an excuse because she should be more sensitive about the issue. One of my close family members was adopted, would it be okay for me to go on national TV and make snarky jokes about an adopted kid in a family full of biological children just because I have experience with that in my own life? No. I'm glad she apologized.

I agree with you. It is a baby. Unless Romney's family had issued some statement about the rescuing the poor little black child from the evils of heathen Africa/Catholics/poor inner city parents, then I am going with the theory they genuinely wanted to adopt.

I do question Ben Romney's sincerity in adopting this child. Looks like Mitt is prepping for 2016. I hope the child is treated as well as his siblings and cousins, but I really doubt it. I know Cindy McCain brought home a baby from Bangladesh without telling her husband, but I think she was sincere about raising it. During the 2000 election KKKarl Rove smeared the poor girl saying she was the illegitimate daughter of John and a prostitute.

Are other children/grandchildren in the Romney Clan adopted or just that wee girl?

Melissa Harris-Perry and her round table had some thoughts on Mitt and Ann Romney's latest family photo: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/84533511.html link not broken b/c it's a gossip/news aggregator site.

Twenty-one grandchildren, and the newest is black. MHP asks the panel to come up with captions for the pic. Hilarity ensues.

For the FJers who don't know her/didn't see the video, MHP is a mixed-race woman of color whose mother's family are Mormon. If anyone is qualified to snark on Romney's grandkids, she is. Now she's issuing an apology for insensitive comments. A very classy apology, I might add. What I'm unclear on is exactly who she offended, but I can make several good guesses.

Get your fundie bingo cards ready, people. There is A LOT here to unpack, and it's giving me so many feelings that I'm all discombobulated and I'm sure I've missed something; where to begin? Matchy matchy gender role enforcing outfits! Adopting brown babies because Jesus! Inappropriate footwear! (Except that the weather is fine, and there are boys in flip flops, so maybe scratch that one. Ann's shoes are still questionable, imo)

It looks like Mittens' 200 year plan is going quite well, except for the leader-of-the-free-world part, but you can't win them all I guess. Here's a pic of the patriarch with all of his quiver's quivers: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/84 ... 4845541639 ONTD comments are made of win, as usual wrt quiverfull topics.

GUYS! GUYS! WE WERETHISCLOSE TO HAVING A DOMINIONIST PRESIDENT! Or something way too close to it for *my* comfort, at least. Apologies for excessive use of exclamation points and any incoherence. The threat of American theocracy does that to me.

I'm sorry, but I really disagree with the bolded statement. I have never subscribed to the state of thought that degradation of any group, racial or otherwise, is inherently okay so long as the one doing the degrading is themselves a member of the group. I reject all racism in all forms, period. I am also not the kind of person who believes that we have an inherent right to not be offended, but that said, I thought the "jokes" were in terrible taste. I applaud families who provide babies with loving homes, especially when it's a fact that minority children have a tougher time getting adopted... perhaps it's because of snark like this. I'm sorry to be grandstanding... I certainly didn't vote for Romney, but I wonder how people would feel if someone had made racial snarks directed toward the president's family.

I agree with you. It is a baby. Unless Romney's family had issued some statement about the rescuing the poor little black child from the evils of heathen Africa/Catholics/poor inner city parents, then I am going with the theory they genuinely wanted to adopt.

I think the children and grandchildren of politicians should be off-limits, regardless of political party. The only exceptions are if the child is an adult and is actively seeking the spotlight, a la Liz Cheney or Bristol Palin.

I think the children and grandchildren of politicians should be off-limits, regardless of political party. The only exceptions are if the child is an adult and is actively seeking the spotlight, a la Liz Cheney or Bristol Palin.

I completely agree with this, that regardless of political party, the children and grandchildren of politicians should be off limits, so I'm glad she apologized. While I'm not a fan of the Romney family at all, and think that Mitt would be better off serving as a LDS church leader than running this country, I do think his son adopted that child because he and his wife genuinely wanted to adopt.

I do question Ben Romney's sincerity in adopting this child. Looks like Mitt is prepping for 2016. I hope the child is treated as well as his siblings and cousins, but I really doubt it. I know Cindy McCain brought home a baby from Bangladesh without telling her husband, but I think she was sincere about raising it. During the 2000 election KKKarl Rove smeared the poor girl saying she was the illegitimate daughter of John and a prostitute.

Ben situation is a little different from his brothers. He is the only one who is not involved in Real Estate (Radiologist) and likely has the least political aspirations of the Romney boys. Ben and his wife have struggled with infertility - his newest adopted son is only his second child.

The tragedy is that the little girl is named Kieran James.

It's a boy. Maybe he's wearing red and white gingham? The Romneys sure love their gingham.

As someone above said, the only thing MHP said about the baby was a joke about he and North West marrying sometime down the road. I didn't watch the clip of the show, but I can only imagine the kinds of things that others would say about a poor baby.

I do find it interesting that Ben Romney's family adopted this baby- it was only *last month* that the Mormon church renounced its teaching that dark skin is a curse from God. Another thing that makes me a little uneasy is that they named him Kieran- when doing a Google search for the meaning of Kieran, it says it is an anglicized form of Ciaran, which means 'black,' or 'little dark one.' With a history like that of the Mormon church, to give a child a name with that meaning seems insensitive of the Romneys.

All that being said, because he was adopted into the Romney family, little Kieran will have opportunities afforded to him that most other children do not. He will have access to the best schools, the best doctors, etc, etc, etc. One of my parents was adopted, and my grandparents are absolutely amazing people- I am lucky to have them in my life, an I think of how different my parent's life could have been. In all of the pictures I have seen of Kieran and his family, everyone seemed happy and he, well-loved, and I wish him well.

I'm sorry, but I really disagree with the bolded statement. I have never subscribed to the state of thought that degradation of any group, racial or otherwise, is inherently okay so long as the one doing the degrading is themselves a member of the group. I reject all racism in all forms, period. I am also not the kind of person who believes that we have an inherent right to not be offended, but that said, I thought the "jokes" were in terrible taste. I applaud families who provide babies with loving homes, especially when it's a fact that minority children have a tougher time getting adopted... perhaps it's because of snark like this. I'm sorry to be grandstanding... I certainly didn't vote for Romney, but I wonder how people would feel if someone had made racial snarks directed toward the president's family.

Dolcesigno - I'm in total agreement with your line of thinking on this.

Hey guys I didn't mean to post something controversial and sit back and watch it percolate with no further input, ala Smuggar. :lol:

I guess Saturday morning isn't the best time to post a thread. Anyway, I can see the whole "don't make fun of a baby/politician's offspring" argument. I guess what really struck me about the photo is its resemblance to so many family pics we see here. The discussion went in a different direction and that's fine.

post-4828-14451998589996_thumb.jpg

What I'm unclear on is exactly who she offended

Ok, are you really this stupid? People are mad because someone was made fun of for the color of their skin on a national news program.

My family is in nearly the same situation as the Romney's right now- we're all white, and one family member just adopted a biracial child. Guess what? None of us give a flying fuck what color this child is, because they are now part of our family. Like the Romney's, we live in a conservative area and there are likely people who do have a problem with our new family. I seriously doubt Mitt is thinking "Oh goody, this grandchild is the perfect political prop." He's more likely relived to see his son and DIL grow their family after struggling with infertility and delighted to have a new grandbaby.

Seriously, I'm disappointed that you can't see the obvious problem here. Mocking people, EVEN BABIES, for the color of their skin is despicable. "Hilarity" does not "ensue" when racism is thrown around so casually.

I didn't vote for the guy, but he does have one good looking family. And yes, Kieran will be afforded incredible opportunities by being adopted into it. There is nothing to snark on here.

I have no idea why she chose to make fun of Kieran. He seems to be accepted. Just because she is black doesn't mean she gets to be racist.

Didn't vote for him. Not a Republican. But I am a religious conservative and lean conservative on many social issues. I'm also the mother of 4 biracial children. I find it obnoxiously hypocritical that the panel felt free to mock Romney's family and their adoption of a non-white child when we all know what would happen if the situation was reversed. It's disgusting. I would be royally pissed if I were the Romneys.

Glad i'm not alone with that feeling.

I certainly didn't vote for Romney, but I wonder how people would feel if someone had made racial snarks directed toward the president's family.

That happens all the time, though.

That said, Harris-Perry is a serious journalist, not a Michael Savage "shock jock" type, and it was terrible judgment for her to approach the topic in that vein with the panel. I'm glad she apologized.

It would have been quite different to use the news story to discuss controversy about interracial adoption or research on the topic; making jokes about a little child based on his grandfather's political ambitions just isn't cool, ever.

"We all know what would happen if the situation was reversed"? Seriously? Rush Limbaugh mocks Michelle Obama and the Obama daughters; he's never apologized. Did you miss the whole Duck Dynasty thing? Racism from white people flies just fine in the media.

And note that Harris-Perry apologized. She didn't double down like the Duck Commander, or "sorry if anyone was offended" like Don Imus.

The mythology that somehow white people aren't allowed to say racist shit in the media is right up there with "Why don't we have White Entertainment Television?" as a clueless observation. For every Paula Deen who does face consequences, there are several Phil Robertsons.

I do find it interesting that Ben Romney's family adopted this baby- it was only *last month* that the Mormon church renounced its teaching that dark skin is a curse from God. Another thing that makes me a little uneasy is that they named him Kieran- when doing a Google search for the meaning of Kieran, it says it is an anglicized form of Ciaran, which means 'black,' or 'little dark one.' With a history like that of the Mormon church, to give a child a name with that meaning seems insensitive of the Romneys.

I agree with what you said about him having more opportunities also, but for fuck's sake, THIS. Until 1978 blacks were nothing more than the evil descendents of Cain- or according to a cheesy documentary I watched years ago by an ex-Mormon, descendents of Lucifer himself. And seriously, even if I reeeeeeally liked the name Kieran, there is no way in hell that I'd name the baby "dark one". That's as ridiculously insensitive as TriG (Trisomy G, Down Syndrome) being chosen by the Palins.

I was not questioning as to how the media would handle racial slurs directed towards the president, but rather the response by MHP supporters if the situation was reversed. I think there are some people that are willing to whitewash her comments because they were directed at Romney, thus my point that even though I am not a political supporter of Mitt's, I think his family should be off limits. MHP, I'd imagine, would be mortified if a prominent cable host disparaged the Obama girls in any way. And no, I did not miss the Duck Dynasty thing, but I'm not sure how that proves your assertion that racism from white people "flies just fine in the media", as I recall a pretty big media storm over the remarks. Actually, truth be told, I didn't even know what Duck Dynasty was until the last few weeks. That said, let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the media are racism watchdogs... no, they stir controversy not because it's morally courageous to do so, but because it generates more money... But they're only part of the problem.

In the 1990's the LDS church started many missions in Africa. Since then African adoptions have exploded in our area of southern Utah. My son is 1/4 black and the school district 10 years ago begged to mark him down as black so they could some government funding because he was literally then only non 100% white child in the school. 10 years later my kids school has at least 30 adopted African kids a year. My neighbor who is a LDS seminary teacher's son married am African lady and they went and adopted 2 kids last year. My daughter classmate's mom runs an LDS adoption service to that specializes in Africa now. Honestly I think it comes down to cost. Maternity deductibles in our area (if you are lucky to have maternity coverage at all) are more expensive then adopting an African child so why go through a pregnancy, spend more money, when you can adopt a child.

I was also shocked when a very wealthy retired couple in their late 50's went to Africa on an LDS mission and came back with adopted teenage kids. I think the LDS church concept of use birth control if you can't afford more kids goes another way now. It you have money you should consider adoption. I think Jon Huntsman's adoption of his 2 daughters later in life has inspired other healthy well off 50 something Mormons to adopt. It is very hard to find kids to adopt in Utah, There are way more people that want kids then kids available here.

If Mit's son & DIL wanted to adopt a kid and have the resources , good for them. I don't think Mitt has any political agenda with it (didn't help Jon Hunstman) and I don't think we will see Mitt in 2016.

In the 1990's the LDS church started many missions in Africa. Since then African adoptions have exploded in our area of southern Utah. My son is 1/4 black and the school district 10 years ago begged to mark him down as black so they could some government funding because he was literally then only non 100% white child in the school. 10 years later my kids school has at least 30 adopted African kids a year. My neighbor who is a LDS seminary teacher's son married am African lady and they went and adopted 2 kids last year. My daughter classmate's mom runs an LDS adoption service to that specializes in Africa now. Honestly I think it comes down to cost. Maternity deductibles in our area (if you are lucky to have maternity coverage at all) are more expensive then adopting an African child so why go through a pregnancy, spend more money, when you can adopt a child.

I was also shocked when a very wealthy retired couple in their late 50's went to Africa on an LDS mission and came back with adopted teenage kids. I think the LDS church concept of use birth control if you can't afford more kids goes another way now. It you have money you should consider adoption. I think Jon Huntsman's adoption of his 2 daughters later in life has inspired other healthy well off 50 something Mormons to adopt. It is very hard to find kids to adopt in Utah, There are way more people that want kids then kids available here.

If Mit's son & DIL wanted to adopt a kid and have the resources , good for them. I don't think Mitt has any political agenda with it (didn't help Jon Hunstman) and I don't think we will see Mitt in 2016.

I don't see Mitt making another run for the presidency. Unless he's a masochist. Why would he put himself and his family through all that again? His own Party won't support him; they want a "true conservative."

Ben and his wife have infertility issues, but they certainly could afford to do fertility treatments if they wanted to. Apparently, they didn't want to. It's really none of our business.

There is a show called "I Am Having Their Baby" and a black couple picked the whitest Utah couple I have ever seen to adopt their baby girl. She got pregnant a few months after the adoption and they were going to adopt that baby, too. I don't know if they were Mormon, just remember it was SLC.

Archived