IGNORED

Planned Parenthood and the "12 days of contraception"

Buzzard

Q0KJpG857NA

In an apparent attempt to make people aware of the different types of birth control available PP Arizona did their own version of the "12 days of christmas" to include:

12 packs of pills

11 peel a way patches

10 latex condoms

9 non hormonal sponges

8 female condoms

7 dental dams

6 spermacides

5 Nuva Rings

4 Depo Shots

3 Diaphragms

2 Para Guards and

a "brand new box of plan b"

Planned Parenthood Arizona wants to wish everyone happy holidays and a wonderful 2014! We hope you will enjoy this original song written by staff and performed by volunteers. And, if you want to know more about the different types of birth control mentioned in the song, visit http://www.ppaz.org.

As you can imagine, the comments went off the chain the second this thing got linked to drudge. Happy reading!

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... tmas-Carol

My favorite:

CrossHugger • an hour ago −

I do believe that someone ought to get these people the word that we are celebrating the life of a baby in a manger. We are celebrating life not death. Very dark hearts and souls.......

The 12 Days of Contraception.

They have the mentality of a room full of 14 yr-old girls at a sleep over.

These people, Obama included, willingly promote the mutilation and murder of millions of defenseless and innocent babies. What's the difference between murdering someone in a wood chipper and an abortion? The outcome is the same - mutilated and murdered. Maybe abortionist should be described as "Womb Chippers". What kind of society can allow this to happen without any shame or conscience?!

edited to add one I missed:

SigFan • 2 hours ago −

Celebrating the continuing slaughter of innocent and defenseless children. More proof that liberalism is a mental and moral disorder.

"Sigfan's" icon is a handgun.

I don't see the word "abortion" in there anywhere. Apparently, the commenters aren't all that bright.

That's putting it nicely. Seriously, there is nothing that will cut down on abortion more than widely-available birth control and the education to use it properly. These people are morons, assholes, or both.

While I'm all for PP and making women's health services readily accessible for everyone, TBH releasing this video with this message at this time of year just seems like a poke to me. I'm sure they knew there would be a backlash and as much as I find the comments hateful and off-point, PP showed a teensy bit insensitivity. Just this feministical atheist's UO.

Uh, I'm all for educating the public about birth control, but plan b is NOT birth control and I think it's really irresponsible of Planned Parenthood of all organizations to imply that it is.

Uh, I'm all for educating the public about birth control, but plan b is NOT birth control and I think it's really irresponsible of Planned Parenthood of all organizations to imply that it is.

Thats a really good point. Along those lines I'm not sure that it was such a good idea having it on the "first day," which is the most powerful gift.

Thats a really good point. Along those lines I'm not sure that it was such a good idea having it on the "first day," which is the most powerful gift.

Emergency contraception, or "Plan B", is birth control. It's only medical use is to prevent a birth.

Plan B works as a contraceptive by preventing ovulation after unprotected intercourse has occurred. Virtually no one uses it as their regular method of contraception, but that doesn't change what it is.

How is plan B not birth control?

It's absolutely birth control - it contains the same hormone in most birth control pills, just in a much higher dose. It generally works by by stopping the release of an egg, and by preventing fertilisation. While the drug causes changes to the lining of the uterus, it does not interfere with the implantation of a fertilised egg and it will not work if a woman is pregnant.

While it's taken after sex, it still works before fertilisation.

but even if it didn't - that's not the "measure" of what makes something birth control - some forms of the pill do exactly that and work on fertilised eggs by disrupting the lining of the uterus.

So i'm really curious as to why people don't think plan b is birth control... What am I missing?

How is plan B not birth control?

It's absolutely birth control - it contains the same hormone in most birth control pills, just in a much higher dose. It generally works by by stopping the release of an egg, and by preventing fertilisation. While the drug causes changes to the lining of the uterus, it does not interfere with the implantation of a fertilised egg and it will not work if a woman is pregnant.

While it's taken after sex, it still works before fertilisation.

but even if it didn't - that's not the "measure" of what makes something birth control - some forms of the pill do exactly that and work on fertilised eggs by disrupting the lining of the uterus.

So i'm really curious as to why people don't think plan b is birth control... What am I missing?

Plan B is definitely contraception (and technically birth control) but its not intended to be used as part of a regimen and, as discussed in another thread, doesnt work for everyone. Its for emergency purposes only and its placement at the point in the song reserved for god is less than well thought out.

As for them taking the video down, it was pretty much doomed once drudge posted it. The comments on brietbart were vicious.

The first place in the song is reserved for God? What is Godly about a partridge in a pear tree?

http://www.chicagonow.com/roy-leonard/2 ... ally-mean/

From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were not permitted

to practice their faith openly. Someone during that era wrote this carol as a catechism song for

young Catholics. It has two levels of meaning: the surface meaning plus a hidden meaning known

only to members of their church. Each element in the carol has a code word for a religious reality

which the children could remember.

-The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.

-Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.

-Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.-

-The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.

-The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.

-The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.

-Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit--Prophesy, Serving,

Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.

-The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.

-Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit--Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness,

Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control.

-The ten lords a-leaping were the ten commandments.

-The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.

-The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.

^Sorry, but no.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christma ... 12days.asp

I don't see why there should be anything offensive about birth control. I think 90-some percent of adult women who have sex with men have used it. People have sex and get knocked up at Christmas the same as they do any other time of year. Unless you are offended when someone adds different (cruder?) words to songs in general, I don't see why the brouhaha over this. I'm not sure why it would be worse than Jingle Bells, Batman Smells or even Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer :shrug:

Given that the most common birthday of the year (at least in the USA) is October 5th, it's fairly safe to say that a lot of people get knocked up over the holidays. Certainly some of those are planned, but many are not. People are off their routines, drinking a lot (especially New Year's Eve), traveling, seeing people they don't normally see, and it's a very emotionally charged time of year. Anything that reminds people to use contraception if they don't want a baby is a good idea to me.

Also....dental dam?!? A dental dam is most certainly not birth control. Was this an official promotional video, or something put together by some random person? And I thought the sponge company went out of business in the 90's?

My only issue with this is the Nuva Ring inclusion. It's really an unsafe product - not one I would ever use or recommend to anyone.

Why? I used them for 3+ years.

I think it's kind of tacky and as someone said before me an obvious 'poke'. It makes me feel uncomfortable in the way that talking about sex at the dinner table makes me feel uncomfortable.

But at the same time, provocation does get the point across.

I think that if anyone deserved a Get Out Of Provocation Free card, it would be Planned Parenthood. They do so much good work and get shit on by crazies of all ideological stripes.

Also, I thought it was funny.

What are the "12 days of christmas" ? It's an american tradition ?

The 12 Days of Christmas being referred to is this song:

EDBMzGq1vhs

The phrase can also refer to the Christmas season, December 25-January 5, still recognized and celebrated in many traditions.

Archived