IGNORED

Uganda's parliament passes anti-gay bill

bettertomarry

Not breaking the link because its the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25463942

Sentences would include life imprisonment. Failure to report gay people could also result in prison.

The MP behind the bill, David Bahati, told the AFP news agency: "This is victory for Uganda. I am glad the parliament has voted against evil."

"Because we are a God-fearing nation, we value life in a holistic way. It is because of those values that members of parliament passed this bill regardless of what the outside world thinks," he said.

I'm cautiously hopeful that Prime Minister Mbabazi complained there wasn't enough MP's to make the vote valid and its unknown whether President Museveni will sign the bill into law. And I'm also glad that the BBC is reporting the role of US evangelical Christians in the push for this bill.

Does anyone know which US evangelical leaders or groups (if any) were involved in the passage of this bill? I suspect that there was some outside interference from American rightists looking to export the culture wars, but I don't know any specific names.

Archived