IGNORED

India criminalises homosexuality

moodygirl86

This does not shock me one bit. Homosexuality in my home country is taboo that it's not shocking to hear family members abandoning their gay son or daughter. A lot of families feel that having a homosexual son or daughter brings dishonor to the family, which is pretty pathetic.

I think it'll be a while before India comes around. They are progressing, yes, but they're conservative as you will ever be. Hell, just holding your husband's hand, older people talk bad about you.

They take 2 steps forward, 20 steps back.

What appalls me most is that the first decriminalised it, and then recriminalised it again. What happens to all the ppl who came out? You can't turn that back.

What appalls me most is that the first decriminalised it, and then recriminalised it again. What happens to all the ppl who came out? You can't turn that back.

So, kinda like the state of California?

(I know it wasn't criminalized, I'm referring to the yes/no/we can't make up our minds).

So, kinda like the state of California?

(I know it wasn't criminalized, I'm referring to the yes/no/we can't make up our minds).

Or Australia apparently. Didn't catch where in Australia, but some region made same sex marriage legal for a week and then yanked it, and annulled the marriages performed.

Horrible about India. That has huge implications for the people brave enough to come out when it was legal!

Kind of. But there's a difference between-"oh, you can't be married" and "we'll, we've decided that the mere fact you're not attracted to the opposite sex is now illegal and will cost you 10th years."

As messed up as the first is, the second is so much worse.

In Australia one of the territories (which have different rights than fully fledged states) legalised it and the federal government appealed it in the High Court. The High Court ruled the territory didn't have the right to legalise it.

Kind of. But there's a difference between-"oh, you can't be married" and "we'll, we've decided that the mere fact you're not attracted to the opposite sex is now illegal and will cost you 10th years."

As messed up as the first is, the second is so much worse.

In Australia one of the territories (which have different rights than fully fledged states) legalised it and the federal government appealed it in the High Court. The High Court ruled the territory didn't have the right to legalise it.

Oh you 're absolutely right about there being a huge difference, I didn't mean to minimize the awfulness of what just happened in India at all.

actually...

they didn't rule gay sex was unnatural, in and of itself. they said a whole lot of no PIV-reproductive sexual acts were unnatural. even a married couple could perform an "unnatural act".

I found this interesting: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/n ... x-ban.html

the "class" argument is also pretty dubious.

this happens all the time - a lower court can say X is acceptable, and then the superior court says that it's not. never do anything on the basis of a lower court decision.

Archived