IGNORED

Mom And Dad Pearl Give Son-in-law A Job

debrand

A few months ago my husband came to me and said, “We need to do something different. Get ready, I don’t know what it is yet, but I want us to be ready.â€

He called home from work one day to tell me, “I called an auction house and I want to sell all of our stuff, so we are not tied down!†I started cleaning out the house and putting stuff in boxes, getting ready for God to lead him. He knew that he wanted to do something but did not know where or what.

Admittedly, I am reading between the lines in this article but I find the scenario interesting. Shalom Pearl's husband comes home and tells her to sell all their stuff because he wants to go where god leads him. He wants to find a job in a new state first but Shalom talks him into waiting. Her concern is reasonable but not really the actions of the type of wife that her mom, Debi advocates other women should be.

So I asked, “Why move just for a job when we have a business here and a good place to raise our family? I think Satan is just tempting us. We need to wait and see what God has for us.†Justin agreed, and turned the job offers down.

According to Debi Pearl, Shalom should just mildly agree with her husband and follow his leadings. Arguing that Satan is leading him seems to counter her mother's advice to other women.

Suddenly, Shalom's parents offer them a job traveling from state to state.

The next day, not being aware of our recent doings, Dad and Mom asked us if we would be interested in traveling to Home School Conferences for No Greater Joy. Justin had an instant peace that this was God’s will for us.

I don't for an instant believe that mom and dad didn't know or worry about their son-in -law's plans. They didn't want to see their daughter follow in her sister, Rebekah's footsteps and end up married to a man who gives up a decent job to stay at home studying the bible while his wife has baby after baby. They offered Shalom's husband the job so that he could/would continue to feed their daughter and grandchildren.

nogreaterjoy.org/articles/a-vision/

I was hoping that Gabe came to his senses and decided that he wanted to support his family.

So was I :lol:

The Anasts have gone way off the radar and don't even appear to have much to do with the Pearls.

Wow. Just, wow. If my husband called me up saying, "we're going to sell all our stuff!" My reaction would NOT be to start packing. My reaction would be to sit him down and talk it over with him to see if I could get his to change his mind.

Then and only then would I start packing --for a divorce.

Didn't Michael Pearl once boast that those who followed his method would be raising the next generation of doctors and engineers and lawyers, because the methods of the last few decades have raised spoiled, entitled adults dependent on their parents?

I read that, too (I think it was discussed on another thread), and assumed the miracle/coincidence/vision that her parents stepped in without knowing what was going on was utter bullshit.

I think any prayer Shalom sent up was by phone, and went something like "Mom and Dad, do something!"

I wonder if Justin's "instant peace" (just add water?!) came while backed up to Michael Pearl's knife-throwing practice haybale.

Wow. Just, wow. If my husband called me up saying, "we're going to sell all our stuff!" My reaction would NOT be to start packing. My reaction would be to sit him down and talk it over with him to see if I could get his to change his mind.

Ditto, though I might see if I could convince him to get a psychological assessment first. Random things out of the blue like this can NOT bode well for a person's general mental state.

I think most NORMAL people would have the same reaction. (On both statements).

But, don't you know, Shalom and Rebekah married Visionary Men (one of Debi's categories of men one must adjust to and obey).

Visionary Men have visions -- God actually talks to them.

It's a Pearl thing -- we wouldn't understand.

Or maybe it has something to do with the herbs (nudge, nudge, wink).

This is off topic, but have the Duggars said they used the Pearl's material on child training? What I've read about the Pearl's advice is not what we see being done now...Michelle talks to the kids or has them sit out...she says it's not a time-out, but I can't remember what she called it. I'm not sure that I've ever seen Jim Bob discipline any kids on camera, though I'm a little concerned that he did something to Josiah off camera at the announcement of the 20th baby.

This is off topic, but have the Duggars said they used the Pearl's material on child training? What I've read about the Pearl's advice is not what we see being done now...Michelle talks to the kids or has them sit out...she says it's not a time-out, but I can't remember what she called it. I'm not sure that I've ever seen Jim Bob discipline any kids on camera, though I'm a little concerned that he did something to Josiah off camera at the announcement of the 20th baby.

They have recommended the Pearls' materials in the past, and once featured their stuff in a book sale. But it has been a long time since they have mentioned them openly, as far as I know.

The Duggars used to promote Pearl's materials, and mentioned using some of his techniques, though they made those techniques seem innocuous. They have distanced themselves from Pearl with their increased fame, and it seems obvious they've given up on a lot of the discipline with the younger kids. Michelle has mentioned that the older kids have been a tad resentful of the fact that the younger kids are being raised so differently.

Shalom actually adviced her husband against doing something? And he listened? According to her mother's admonishments, shouldn't he have crumbled completely and started abusing and cheating on her instead?

Didn't Michael Pearl once boast that those who followed his method would be raising the next generation of doctors and engineers and lawyers, because the methods of the last few decades have raised spoiled, entitled adults dependent on their parents?

This is what is so ironic about the Pearls and other fundie leaders. They sell a lifestyle that is supposed turn out super-kids, but then their own children turn out normal (normal as in no super skills) or worse (Gabe I am looking at you). When will their followers finally realize this?

This is what is so ironic about the Pearls and other fundie leaders. They sell a lifestyle that is supposed turn out super-kids, but then their own children turn out normal (normal as in no super skills) or worse (Gabe I am looking at you). When will their followers finally realize this?

I'm sure some never will. Perhaps some will come to their senses.

But, going by the reviews and comments on Amazon, their criteria for good fruit seem to be:

- God-fearing

- still close to their parents

- pleasant, cheerful, not an embarrassment in public

- hard-working

- obedient

- contributing to society in the way the parents want

They all seem to think that Pearl's children turned out just fine. :roll:

ETA -- The Gabe who is a total wreck is a son-in-law, not their son.

Their son Gabe is described as follows on their site:

Gabriel Pearl is the firstborn son of Mike and Debi. He is a leader in the community, a man of integrity, and a fine example to the many young men whom he employs and teaches. Gabriel is a builder, hunter, and “volleyball king†of the community. Lori is right beside him on every project, from the volleyball court to the deer stand. Gabe and Lori are parents of Jocelyn, Laife and their newest addition, Joshua Gabriel.

So it sounds like he's less of a mess, but it's not clear whether he is fully independent.

Yeah, I got confused which Gabe was which.

But, going by the reviews and comments on Amazon, their criteria for good fruit seem to be:

- God-fearing

- still close to their parents

- pleasant, cheerful, not an embarrassment in public

- hard-working

- obedient

- contributing to society in the way the parents want.

Crazy how basically all those criteria describe children not mature adults. It was like that for me personally. My dad would always talk about "releasing his arrows to change the world" but when we grew up he didn't want us to be "released" after all. He wanted us to be adult children who still obey what he says. Luckily, our family is deep in debt so I was allowed to get a job, and then I moved out with my sister and who knows what will happen next.

I think most NORMAL people would have the same reaction. (On both statements).

Yep, I sure as hell wouldthat reaction and just anyone I know would either.

I guess the wife is supposed to say "sure, honey, anything you want". Um, no.

Frankly I would tell the guy to give up the idea or I get a divorce. His pick.

Archived