IGNORED

San Antonio Non-Discrimination Ordinance

Jenny

I was listening to the radio on my way to work yesterday and caught a bit of a discussion about this. Apparently, San Antonio is trying to update it's city ordinance to prohibit anyone who has ever demonstrated and anti-gay bias from receiving a city appointment or contract. The radio show commentators seemed to indicate that people who have demonstrated a bias may not run for office, although this doesn't seem to accurate.

Most of the commentary I've read/heard was "Is this religious discrimination?" and how is demonstrated a bias determined? for example: If a person is a member of a Catholic church, would they be considered biased?

Has anyone heard about this? I rarely watch the news and haven't seen much online - a few blogs mostly.

You can read the proposed ordinance at: s3.amazonaws.com/FOCISpecialServices/Special+PDFs/An+Ordinance.pdf

I was listening to the radio on my way to work yesterday and caught a bit of a discussion about this. Apparently, San Antonio is trying to update it's city ordinance to prohibit anyone who has ever demonstrated and anti-gay bias from receiving a city appointment or contract. The radio show commentators seemed to indicate that people who have demonstrated a bias may not run for office, although this doesn't seem to accurate.

Most of the commentary I've read/heard was "Is this religious discrimination?" and how is demonstrated a bias determined? for example: If a person is a member of a Catholic church, would they be considered biased?

Has anyone heard about this? I rarely watch the news and haven't seen much online - a few blogs mostly.

You can read the proposed ordinance at: s3.amazonaws.com/FOCISpecialServices/Special+PDFs/An+Ordinance.pdf

I skimmed it and it looks like just an update of a their exsiting anti-bias in hiring codes, adding a couple of new items.

Here is a link from someone saying this reporting is purposefully misleading, which I think it is. If it is intepreted the way some are trying to portray is, since it now gives Veterans the same protections listed, would that many anyone who had protested Viet Nam would be ineligible to work for SA or serve as a publice official? Don't think so.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/08/02 ... dia/195185

Archived