IGNORED

Priciest frumpers ever?

RachelB

The Von Trapp family drapes, lovingly sewn into matching frumpers and frompers* by Fraulein Maria in The Sound of Music, will be auctioned off at the end of the month. I would be tickled if a Quiverfull family bid on them, but I suspect this is one case in which buying used wouldn't allow them to save the difference:

http://www.latimes.com/features/image/a ... 9770.story (not breaking link, because it's a newspaper)

*matching frumpy rompers for the boys!

Damn, I havn't seen that movie in a few years, but now everytime I see those outfits I will think of fundies.

It is intersting to think considering the real Von Trapp family was pretty much nothing like it was portrayed in the movie.

The Von trapp offspring go to college and dress normal the only time they wear the outfits from the movie is when they do performances to keep it true to tradition. They are normal secular kids with musical influences from billy joel to led zepplin they just have to be the descendants of the von trapps.

http://vontrappchildren.com/meet.html

Pricey skirts though are from my denim skirt I ordered a knee length one for church to look descent cost me 50 bucks even though I supplied the jeans and it took her two months but she is a very popular seamstress with 10,531 likes and who knows how many orders a day.

https://www.facebook.com/lovemyjeanskirt?fref=ts

Didn't Captain Von Trapp & Maria bang extramaritally? That would probably disqualify them from fundie idol status.

Off to dream of a young Christopher Plummer telling the Baroness "and I'm just an Austrian!" *swoon*

I don't know if I would consider them frumpers...they are more like pseudo handmade traditional clothing from that time period.

That said, if I were rich I would be all over those like a bodybuilder in a room with free protein powder.

Does anyone know if the offspring of Capt. Von Trapp who are performing are siblings or cousins? I couldn't tell from looking at the link.

Does anyone know if the offspring of Capt. Von Trapp who are performing are siblings or cousins? I couldn't tell from looking at the link.

It says in the bio page that: Meet Sofia, Melanie, Amanda, and August von Trapp. They are the great-grandchildren of Captain von Trapp, father of the famous singing family whose story captivated the world in the musical The Sound of Music. The siblings have continued the tradition of the family’s exceptional musical gift and love of singing, sharing songs and heart-warming family stories of life before and after coming to America.

They are not from one of the children that were born to Maria though, one of the children from his first marriage. The family was an established singing troupe before Maria came to them. She did quickly become quite the matriarch. If the books are to be believed she basically ran the musical business and the family music camp they ran once they migrated to the US. However, even the original von Trapps did not wear traditional dress except during performances. Maria has special clothes, in particular bras, for touring to mask her pregnancies while touring. The original family was devoutly Catholic. However, iirc, this group began their career within the fundie, homeschooling realm and have clearly expanded and modernized since that point.

When the auctions of this godawful "costumes from this even more godawful tripe are over and a fundie family would have actually bought it, I hope someone makes a thread with the pictures, specifically named in the thread title - so I can avoid it!

Fundies AND Sound of Music movie AND maybe even Trapp-Glorification combined... no, there´s just not enough brain bleach in this world for that.

Aren't the Seppi's somehow connected to the Von Trapp family?

Yes, a Seppi-related female is married to a Von Trapp-male (melodys-notes.blogspot.com/2009/06/sam-von-trapp-and-elisa-seppi-sepulveda_05.html) although their wedding account doesn't seem particularly fundie: jeffkolodnyphotography.com/index.cfm?m=5&y=2009

Damn, I havn't seen that movie in a few years, but now everytime I see those outfits I will think of fundies.

It is intersting to think considering the real Von Trapp family was pretty much nothing like it was portrayed in the movie.

My mum went to college with one of the von Trapp girls. I have no interesting stories to relate about this, alas.

Didn't Captain Von Trapp & Maria bang extramaritally? That would probably disqualify them from fundie idol status.

Off to dream of a young Christopher Plummer telling the Baroness "and I'm just an Austrian!" *swoon*

Well, there is a discrepancy in their first child's immigration papers. It says that she was born about 2 months after Georg and Maria married. Either that's an error or mommy and daddy were doing the horizontal mambo well before they wed. I vote for the latter.

I tried to find wedding pictures but most of them are quite poor quality. She might or not be 6-7 months pregnant in those pictures. Wikipedia says that von Trapp family says there is an error and that Maria said in her book that the real year is 1929. Oh well, who knows :)

The english wikipedia article made me wince.

Everything that includes Maria Trapp´s sob-sad-kitschy and made-up "life story" makes me wince, may it be that flashy "Sound of Music Tour" tour buses in Salzburg City or being pestered about this "issue" (aka the film, the Trapps...) from new-in-town foreign university students at the Mentoring-Programm I volunteer in (which actually happens more often than I would have ever been able to imagine in my wildest nightmares!).

It´s the austrian in me, I can´t help it. And I won´t.

Preggers Maria: Maybe she was pregnant, when marrying. Maybe not. I personally couldn´t care less. What I actually care about is her outragious lying and dropping of some important details in her books...

It says in the bio page that: Meet Sofia, Melanie, Amanda, and August von Trapp. They are the great-grandchildren of Captain von Trapp, father of the famous singing family whose story captivated the world in the musical The Sound of Music. The siblings have continued the tradition of the family’s exceptional musical gift and love of singing, sharing songs and heart-warming family stories of life before and after coming to America.

Ooops. Missed the siblings reference. I imagine they are the offspring of one of Von Trapp's two sons with his first wife. He and Maria had one son, the youngest of the blended family, and I can't imagine that he is old enough to have grandchildren this age.

They are grandchildren of Werner von Trapp, according to Wikipedia. He was the second son from the first marriage.

The english wikipedia article made me wince.

Everything that includes Maria Trapp´s sob-sad-kitschy and made-up "life story" makes me wince, may it be that flashy "Sound of Music Tour" tour buses in Salzburg City or being pestered about this "issue" (aka the film, the Trapps...) from new-in-town foreign university students at the Mentoring-Programm I volunteer in (which actually happens more often than I would have ever been able to imagine in my wildest nightmares!).

It´s the austrian in me, I can´t help it. And I won´t.

Preggers Maria: Maybe she was pregnant, when marrying. Maybe not. I personally couldn´t care less. What I actually care about is her outragious lying and dropping of some important details in her books...

Ok, you got me curious.......what's the true story?

Ok, you got me curious.......what's the true story?

Anny Nym will surely fill in more, but the real Maria was about as far from the play/film Maria as you could get. Baron von Trapp was the nice parent, not Maria. When one of her daughters wanted to get married, Maria locked her in a closet for several days.

Archived