IGNORED

Suicide is better than showbusiness...

Maggie Mae

Diana @ the unthinking housewife would rather young people commit suicide than embrace their talent.

thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2011/08/more-on-amy-and-why-popular-culture-will-continue-to-produce-willing-victims/#more-27323

First of all: Isn't suicide a mortal sin? Why would you wish it on someone? How is that non hypocritical?

Do they not have any compassion for people? (the answer is sadly no.) I can't stop reading her crazy, even though it makes me so angry.

Clearly Diana has been reading too much of the Stinking Lousewife's material.

I have no love for the "must make it to the top" worlds of either athletics or popular music and acting, and wish things were based more on talent. But, if people want to see "reality TV" or trainwrecks as talentless people destroy themselves, the world of entertainment will provide it. If we don't watch, they'll stop.

And, as far as I know, none of that applied to Amy Winehouse anyway, since she could sing movingly. I could be wrong, but I think her original appeal was due to her ability, not her addiction.

As for the talentless who want to make it big, Cole Porter said it better, and in a somewhat kinder way:

Diana @ the unthinking housewife would rather young people commit suicide than embrace their talent.

thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2011/08/more-on-amy-and-why-popular-culture-will-continue-to-produce-willing-victims/#more-27323

First of all: Isn't suicide a mortal sin? Why would you wish it on someone? How is that non hypocritical?

Do they not have any compassion for people? (the answer is sadly no.) I can't stop reading her crazy, even though it makes me so angry.

This. I thought it was a mortal sin that was supposed to damn you, or is this just a Catholic thing?

This. I thought it was a mortal sin that was supposed to damn you, or is this just a Catholic thing?

I've heard this debated...IME, the 'mortal sin' bit is a Catholic thing.

(Although I knew at least one protestant youth pastor who admitted he didn't think someone who committed suicide would go to hell necessarily but he told his young charges the opposite because he didnt want to encourage them toward suicide :doh: )

Archived