IGNORED

SC School Admits Dino Quiz

FeministShrew

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/221367 ... ntroversey

I thought there was a thread on this, but I couldn't find it. If there is, someone kindly merge!

The " Dinosaur Quiz" that's been floating around the internet - It came from Blue Ridge Christian Academy, which is 13 miles from my house. The school has issued a statement.

I'm so proud to be from SC. :roll:

The quiz, for anyone who hasn't seen it:

post-6330-14451997861355_thumb.jpg

My favorite logic fail here is the last question.

Q: The next time someone says the earth is billions (or millions) of years old, what can you say?

A: were you there [Personally, I would've gone with "pics or it didn't happen."]

It's just...no. Spare me your inane "gotcha!" answers. No I wasn't here billions of years ago. Were you there when dinosaurs and people lived together? No? Okay. Just proved neither of us is right. :roll:

My friends had moved to Atlanta and enrolled their daughter in a private christian academy. They tested her before school started and put her in two grades above her level- she would have been in 1st grade by age, but she tested into 3rd, under their guidelines. Her science curriculum was very much like this. They pulled their daughter after a semester and put her in public schools- back in the first grade- because the education she was getting was laughable.

Who knew The Flintstones was actually a documentary? Silly me. :roll:

Sorry if this is stupid, but that this can't be considered as discrimination against atheists ?

Sorry if this is stupid, but that this can't be considered as discrimination against atheists ?

This quiz was assigned in a private Christian school. They can design their own curriculum.

That is unbelievable :( It makes me sad to know this is real and wasnt written by someone making fun of fundie beliefs :(

I feel for these children and how poor their education is.

Among other things that are wrong with this quiz, this looks like something a kindergartener would do. I can't remember exactly what my 4th grade science class studied, but I'm pretty sure it was more complex than this, and we would have been required to use proper punctuation and capitalization in our answers.

It's just...no. Spare me your inane "gotcha!" answers. No I wasn't here billions of years ago. Were you there when dinosaurs and people lived together? No? Okay. Just proved neither of us is right. :roll:

More to the point, were they there when my neighbor was murdered by a person who left fingerprints and DNA behind, along with his wallet full of ID? If not, didn't happen.

This quiz was assigned in a private Christian school. They can design their own curriculum.

Okay, thank you. Do they receive money from the state or they are totally independent ? I believe that here all private schools (there are two types: those that are control by the state and receive money, and those that are free with some conditions) are controlled by the state on science and history programs because ... Well, our fundamentalists tend to be a little neo-Nazi :?

My favorite logic fail here is the last question.

Q: The next time someone says the earth is billions (or millions) of years old, what can you say?

A: were you there [Personally, I would've gone with "pics or it didn't happen."]

I'd like to think I could respect someone's right to have their own views (not their views themselves) so long as they could intelligently explain/debate them. Teaching children to defend their views by the equivalent of "Na na na na, boo boo" is really setting them up for failure. How are these kiddos supposed to respond when someone asks them if they were there when "The Bible: The History Book of The Universe" was written? Logic is truly not their strong point.

As far as I know they get no state funds. They have a webpage, brca.us/ (not sure if I broke the link right).

The sad thing is that they call themselves a college prepatory school. It looks a lot like the school my kids started in (which fortunately closed several years ago), same curriculum and structure. Most of the small Christian schools around here are not accredited. They're afraid if they apply for accreditation they will be subject to discrimination laws & required to teach godless evolution, sex ed, etc.

My state (like Louisiana, is, apparently, and others want to) is talking about using tax dollars to fund whatever private school parents what to send their kids to (education dollars follow the kid) and this is exactly the kind of stuff I DON'T want my tax dollars supporting.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/22136794/upstate-schools-science-quiz-sparks-controversey

I thought there was a thread on this, but I couldn't find it. If there is, someone kindly merge!

The " Dinosaur Quiz" that's been floating around the internet - It came from Blue Ridge Christian Academy, which is 13 miles from my house. The school has issued a statement.

I'm so proud to be from SC. :roll:

.brca.us/ This appears to be the school and

Based on info from their website, they appear to get their science curriculum from this place .csionline.org/home

From the Blue Ridge website , regarding their Senior class (which from the pic has 8 students)

The class of 2013 has been accepted to a wide a range of colleges including: Anderson University, Baylor University, Charleston Southern University, Gardner Web University, North Greenville University, Spartanburg Methodist College, and University of South Carolina - Columbia. Graduation will be held on Friday, May 31st in the Gymnasium.

I thought Baylor was supposed to be a good school... Am I to believe that on the SATs that student didn't use "God did it" as the answer to all science questions?

I always figured the appropriate answer to that question was "Yes." I mean, how do they know I'm not a time-traveler, or immortal? Were THEY there?

PZ Myers take-down of this is a pretty good, less snippy answer, though: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 ... ar-emma-b/

I always figured the appropriate answer to that question was "Yes." I mean, how do they know I'm not a time-traveler, or immortal? Were THEY there?

PZ Myers take-down of this is a pretty good, less snippy answer, though: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 ... ar-emma-b/

I really enjoyed this article. Thanks for posting it.

Does anyone else think the smiley sticker looks like trollface?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsXY5WFej-eH9vaQT9DrT8CYo0mJABYr-9O_I64PSnRTWDlMrr

Why does the upstate seem to have all the nutjobs? Haven't we suffered enough? We have Bob Jones U (and I am still amused at the BJ they use for their signs and bumper stickers) and the whack jobs who walk around carrying PVC pipe crosses and signs. Now this?

I worked with a woman who sent her child to BRCA. wow, just wow. Once they go on to G'ville Tech, or Tricounty Tech or Spartanburgh Community College, bio 101 is going to be a real shock.

When my daughter was in 4th grade last year their science focused mainly on Geology. I was taking college Geology at the time so my teacher let me borrow over 30 different rocks and minerals for the kids. They learned all about identifying these rocks and minerals, and about volcanoes, earthquakes, plate tectonics... Woohoo CA public schools.

As far as I know they get no state funds. They have a webpage, brca.us/ (not sure if I broke the link right).

The sad thing is that they call themselves a college prepatory school. It looks a lot like the school my kids started in (which fortunately closed several years ago), same curriculum and structure. Most of the small Christian schools around here are not accredited. They're afraid if they apply for accreditation they will be subject to discrimination laws & required to teach godless evolution, sex ed, etc.

Well, they can prep for BJU, PCC, A-H, or other non-accredited colleges. At least at BJU they have a nursing program (unaccredited).

If they try for Furman, Clemson or USC (Uspstate or in Columbia) I think they might be in for a rather rude awakening.

I have a fourth grader. His science project this year looked at whether there was a difference between adults and children in their ability to distinguish two flavors of ice cream. He designed the project, did the stats to work out how many subjects he needed to make a meaningful conclusion, graphed his results and put together a pretty damn impressive poster. His curriculum is so far above this crap it's laughable! Even if you don't "believe" in evolution there's a ton of good science that can be taught (presumably they do believe in physics for example or botany, or the human body). The kid that got into Baylor is going to have one hell of a shock!

That makes me sad on so many different levels. I think the worst part is my husband and all his family actually believe this crap. Trust me, I did NOT know that before I married him.

Archived