IGNORED

Michigan busybody thinks "The Diary Of Anne Frank Is Smut

snarkyjan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh. Welcome to my world. I will fight this censorship shit to my dying breath.

Actually it is frequently banned or challenged because of the Holocaust material, maturing womanhood and because it's a downer.

http://world.edu/banned-book-awareness- ... nne-frank/

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ ... htm#page=5

On a side note, last I heard Detroit was a mess as was the state of Michigan. Good thing all that is cleared up so we are free to worry about Anne Frank's vagina.

She needs to find something real to worry about, like starving children. Does she get the irony of wanting to censor Ann Frank? I doubt it. This nutcase is a :music-tool:

I'm beginning to wonder if there's an uber-secret, underground bunker somewhere, breeding all of these random wingnuts and unleashing them on our country. They probably think "The Boys From Brazil" was a how-to manual.

Michigan does not wish to claim this lady...

Plus, the Diary of Anne Frank is not "smut." Anne does talk about the birds and bees, but the mechanics thereof, not like, "and then *insert detaisl of sex life or lack thereof rather here*." Other than that, she describes a vagina. Oh, heaven forbid women know what they're vagina looks like! That part should not be censored, but it should be discussed in class if a class is going to read it because Anne's description is inaccurate.

I hate fundies and censorship.

Nobody tell this woman about the internet!!

Just about every girl on this planet has probably thought or wondered about the birds and the bees just as Anne Frank did. It's a part of growing up and girls have probably written similar in their diaries.

Goddammit. That woman's from my fucking hometown. I did some Facebook stalking of her daughters (we have mutual friends! Yay!) and it's safe to say that she isn't anywhere near fundie. Just a bored, rich woman with too much time on her hands. There's a good chance they'll take it out of the curriculum too, because that's just something they'd do.

I'm more offended that Anne and Margot Frank died of typhus at the hands of maniacs who industrialized genocide than Gail Horaleck will ever be that her 7th grader read about vaginas.

Horaleck and dipshits like her don't deserve to wipe the dust from those girls' shoes.

Here's a more detailed report from the local news site: http://northville.patch.com/articles/sc ... other-says

Apparently the daughter felt uncomfortable reading it. Instead of the mother using this opportunity to have a discussion with her daughter, she complained to the school district. Also, the girl had a choice of two books, and chose this one. After she and 2 other students told the teacher it made them uncomfortable, the teacher gave them the opportunity to switch to the other book, which I think is a pretty fair way of handling this.

"It doesn’t mean my child is sheltered, it doesn’t mean I live in a bubble, and it doesn’t mean I'm tyring [sic] to ban books," she said.

Yes... yes it does.

Also, all of the comments are agreeing with her. Just... wow. The principal is one awesome lady though, and I hope that she stops this complaint in its tracks.

I read that book a couple of times as a kid, and I honestly can't remember anything about that part at all. Must not have screwed me up too much, because I was like "where in the book was that? I don't remember that!"

I read that book a couple of times as a kid, and I honestly can't remember anything about that part at all. Must not have screwed me up too much, because I was like "where in the book was that? I don't remember that!"

We were given a censored version to read at school. There was nothing on it to indicate it was abridged, I only knew cause I already owned and had read the original.

I do remember that part, largely because it reassured me that Anne had curiosity and crushes like I did, even while living a very important life.

Fundies don't recognize (because they can't bear the thought) that someone's diary might explain to their kids the emotions they're already having, so they blame the diary for introducing those emotions. Heaven forbid that their kids be normal.

Anne Frank's diary was written from when she was 13-15. This woman's daughter is seventh grader who are generally 12-13. In other words, Anne was not that much older when she wrote her diary. This woman is truly a :special-flake:

We were given a censored version to read at school. There was nothing on it to indicate it was abridged, I only knew cause I already owned and had read the original.

The version I read as a young teen (around about 1969-1970) was the one edited by Anne's father. Would this have been the same, 'censored' version you read? I've heard that he left out a few things for privacy's sake, both Anne's and the others who were in hiding with her. I really need to read the unabridged version.

And regarding this woman in Michigan, it seems like the teacher and principal have handled this exactly as they should have, so why this mother is pushing the issue is beyond me. :evil-eye:

The version I read I bought at the holocaust museum as a kid.... Either it was edited or I was so innocent it went right over my head, because I totally don't remember that. Either that, or I was more focused on the bigger parts of the book, like the HOLOCAUST!

The version I read as a young teen (around about 1969-1970) was the one edited by Anne's father. Would this have been the same, 'censored' version you read? I've heard that he left out a few things for privacy's sake, both Anne's and the others who were in hiding with her. I really need to read the unabridged version.

And regarding this woman in Michigan, it seems like the teacher and principal have handled this exactly as they should have, so why this mother is pushing the issue is beyond me. :evil-eye:

I think so, yes.

The unedited version I had previously read was released in the early nineties, and the ones provided by my school in the mid nineties were printed in the seventies, if that helps.

I think so, yes.

The unedited version I had previously read was released in the early nineties, and the ones provided by my school in the mid nineties were printed in the seventies, if that helps.

Yes, thanks. The way I read your comment at first, I wondered if you had read a sort of 'Reader's Digest' version in school. Sounds like we both read the same one, though. :)

I read Otto Frank's abridged version of The Diary of Anne Frank for school in the 6th grade, but I and most of my friends had read Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret on our own time, so I am having a really hard time imagining my 12 year old self being "disturbed" by Anne's natural curiousity. :shrug:

Michigan Mama needs to remove her head from her tailpipe.

I don't remember those details when I read it in 7th grade. I think our copy did say something about certain information being edited out by her father.

But for the woman who didn't want her daughter reading about vaginas---her daughter is already 12. She's going to get her period soon, if she hasn't already. When will she consider her daughter old enough to understand basic female anatomy?

I don't remember those details when I read it in 7th grade. I think our copy did say something about certain information being edited out by her father.

But for the woman who didn't want her daughter reading about vaginas---her daughter is already 12. She's going to get her period soon, if she hasn't already. When will she consider her daughter old enough to understand basic female anatomy?

When she comes home pregnant.

When she comes home pregnant.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Archived