IGNORED

Hava Nagila Texas Style?

melk

Shoot, probably not a good link. I'm mobile right now. But a YouTube search of the title off this post should bring it up.

Oh. MY. GOD. Stop it, you idiots. It's not yours and you look ridiculous. Sorry, but you can't have everything. I know that's difficult to face when you're a white American evangelical. UGHGHGHGHGHGHG I am so mad.

I had to stop when the fiddle playing and country/bluegrass singing started. That was awful. Christians have plenty of traditional music. There is no need to borrow from another religion.

Wow, is all. That went from Fiddler on the Roof to HeeHaw in about half a measure. What is worshipful about that in anyone's tradition?

As a side note, they do know that other Jewish traditions except Ashkenazi exist, do they not?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... eAshkenazi

In the brilliant one-season TV series Frank's Place, which took place in New Orleans, the main character, an African American former college professor from New England, is invited to a Hanukkah seder. The snooty hostess goes out of her way to inform her guest that her Ashkenazi husband's family had only been in the US since the 1800s, but *her* side of the family were Portuguese Sephardic Jews who arrived in the 1700s.

(OT: To add to the fun, her son, to get her to stop nagging him to get married, had invited Frank along as his "date.")

ETA that I meant to say Hanukkah Sabbath, not "seder."

I

In the brilliant one-season TV series Frank's Place, which took place in New Orleans, the main character, an African American former college professor from New England, is invited to a Hanukkah seder. The snooty hostess goes out of her way to inform her guest that her Ashkenazi husband's family had only been in the US since the 1800s, but *her* side of the family were Portuguese Sephardic Jews who arrived in the 1700s.

(OT: To add to the fun, her son, to get her to stop nagging him to get married, had invited Frank along as his "date.")

Hanukkah seder?

ETA - I looked it up. I actually had no idea the Hanukkah meal could also be called a seder. Huh. I learned something new today. :)

No, there's really no reason to call the Chanukah meal a seder. "Seder" implies a ritualized meal with steps in a certain order. There is, however, a resurgence in having seders for Tu B'Shvat.

I have a conservative Jewish friend ( in practice not politics!) who always says this stuff does not bother her. I need to show her this!

No, there's really no reason to call the Chanukah meal a seder. "Seder" implies a ritualized meal with steps in a certain order. There is, however, a resurgence in having seders for Tu B'Shvat.

I'm sorry--I used the wrong term. It was the Hanukkah Sabbath, not "seder." Even though I saw the episode 25 years ago, I have Jewish friends and relatives, and should have known better. (In my defense, I didn't get to sleep till 6 AM.)

Embedding for those who dont want to google.

2WF6irnzAiI

I seriously have no idea what they fuck they were thinking.

Wow, is all. That went from Fiddler on the Roof to HeeHaw in about half a measure. What is worshipful about that in anyone's tradition?

HeebHaw!!! :lol:

That was my thought exactly. It is offensive on so many levels.

Okay.... that was interesting. For the first half, it just shows a big auditorium, some fairly sedate music, and you can see people with Israeli flags in the audience so I'm thinking "oh, some international friendship event, surely."

...then the second half happens!

Why are the singers drag kings in suits?

That was horrific. How is it possible to simultaneously combine and fuck up traditional folk music, gospel, AND bluegrass in the same three and half minute song? That was a minor sign of the apocalypse, there can be no other explanation.

Embedding for those who dont want to google.

2WF6irnzAiI

I seriously have no idea what they fuck they were thinking.

Thanks for doing that.

Thanks for doing that.

The silly faces this dude was making as he was singing is what really got to me. Real Jews are not embarrassed to really get into the music!!! Have you seen what "davening" (Jewish prayer) looks like? :lol:

Archived