IGNORED

1/3 polled want Christainy as a state religin.

doggie

This is beyond stupid really. I mean there is No one Christian religion and no one can even agree on whats true in Christianity.

I could not even imagine the infighting and the hatred and loss of rights and life this would cause. Any idiot that would think that this would benefit their faith is pretty delusional. Be sure to to to the site and vote your opinion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/0 ... 22255.html

Although the North Carolina House of Representatives killed a bill Thursday that would have paved the way for establishing an official state religion, a new national HuffPost/YouGov poll finds widespread support for doing so.

The new survey finds that 34 percent of adults would favor establishing Christianity as the official state religion in their own state, while 47 percent would oppose doing so. Thirty-two percent said that they would favor a constitutional amendment making Christianity the official religion of the United States, with 52 percent saying they were opposed.

Although a large percentage of Americans said they would favor establishing a state religion, only 11 percent said they thought the U.S. Constitution allowed states to do so. Fifty-eight percent said they didn't think it was constitutional, and 31 percent said they were not sure.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the First Amendment, which (among other things) prohibits the government from establishing an official religion, also applies to the states.

Republicans were more likely than Democrats or independents to say that they would favor establishing Christianity as an official state religion, with 55 percent favoring it in their own state and 46 percent favoring a national constitutional amendment.

The relatively high level of support for establishing Christianity as a state religion may be reflective of dissatisfaction with the current balance of religion and politics. Respondents to the poll were more likely to say that the U.S. has gone too far in keeping religion and government separate than they were to say religion and government are too mixed, by a 37-29 percent margin. Only 17 percent said that the country has struck a good balance in terms of the separation of church and state.

The HuffPost/YouGov poll was conducted April 3-4 among 1,000 U.S. adults. The poll used a sample selected from YouGov's opt-in online panel to match the demographics and other characteristics of the adult U.S. population. Factors considered include age, race, gender, education, employment, income, marital status, number of children, voter registration, time and location of Internet access, interest in politics, religion and church attendance.

The Huffington Post has teamed up with YouGov to conduct daily opinion polls. You can learn more about this project and take part in YouGov's nationally representative opinion polling.

Everytime someone mentions the US should have an official religion, I bring up Mussolini, the Taliban, and the Ayatollah and ask them how well did that work out.

I don't want to live in a country where there is an official state religion. I want to live in a country where people are free to worship (or not) as they please.

Doggie, you brought up a great point in your first two sentences. What brand of Christianity would be acceptable? Surely not Catholics! Episcopalians? Only IFB? Would Mormons be considered Christian? Probably not. Nor would Jehovah's Witnesses or even SDA.

Doggie, you brought up a great point in your first two sentences. What brand of Christianity would be acceptable? Surely not Catholics! Episcopalians? Only IFB? Would Mormons be considered Christian? Probably not. Nor would Jehovah's Witnesses or even SDA.

there is only one true christian belief and that's the one you believe in. All others are fake and not saved. This is why the whole convert everyone to Christian would just mean after it is done then everyone would be trying to convert everyone into their version.

This is why it bothers me when we hear the only way to peace is through Jesus or if everyone were christian the world would be a better place. The past shows us it would be much worse.

I think the problem is - is that most people aren't analytical thinkers. So, those that grew up with the Christian religion (of which there is really no such thing because of the bajillion denominations out there), think that being Christian means being God-fearing, good, kind, moral, upright, giving, modest, and gun-totin' (j/k on the gun-totin thing). These people believe the propaganda that the U.S. is going to hell in a handbasket and believe that having a state-sanctioned Christian religion will put people back on the right path. People who agree with this most likely have rose-colored/a blindfold on because they believe that somehow it will help. It's like the people who believed that having socialized medicine (which I want) will give them every cutting edge/experimental health benefit possible (I've seen people say that Obamacare needs to be past so that their child can get the I-pad they need for whatever reason, etc.) People don't realize what these policies actually mean. If you ask them which Christian religion, they'd blink their eyes and not understand the question.

I love people, but deep thinkers, the majority are not (I don't really think I'm a deep thinker either though).

I can see this going two ways. Either they end up like the UK, which has bishops in the House of Lords (which bothers me to no end, because I disagree with the Church of England on religious and moral grounds) and most constituent nations have an "official religion", but the freedom to practice other religions (or no religion at all) is well-accepted, or they end up a dictatorship. Given how much more religious public life in the US is compared to the UK, I'm going to go with the latter.

Republicans were more likely than Democrats or independents to say that they would favor establishing Christianity as an official state religion, with 55 percent favoring it in their own state and 46 percent favoring a national constitutional amendment.

Well, color me shocked. :roll:

The statistics sound frightening but 2/3rds of Americans are against a state religion. I think that the extreme right's influence is waning and their supporters are desperate to be relevant.

The statistics sound frightening but 2/3rds of Americans are against a state religion. I think that the extreme right's influence is waning and their supporters are desperate to be relevant.

My husband says the same thing. He says, ok, a minority of people want a state religion, and even if it started to move forward, let's see if we can figure out which flavor of Christianity would be acceptable to this 1/3. The power plays would be best viewed from a distance. And he's right, because, as I always say "wherever 2 or 3 gather in his name, there will be a schism and likley 3 dogmatic splits/denominations."

So which sect of Christianity will America be practicing, according to these unabiding American constituional zombies? Or will they just war with each other if just Christianity is made the state religion, not specifying which sect of Christianity will be practiced?

Archived