IGNORED

PCC sues former student to get rid of website

klavierspieler

Ah, PCC. Why am I not remotely surprised? I mean, God forbid anyone have the faintest idea what actually happens behind the fences and gates of Pensacola Concentration Camp Christian "College." This desire to control every. single. thing. that was said about the college was one of the first things that made me uneasy while I was going to school there, long before I really began to actually shed the chains of fundiedom.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130401/NEW ... ck_check=1

Ah, PCC. Why am I not remotely surprised? I mean, God forbid anyone have the faintest idea what actually happens behind the fences and gates of Pensacola Concentration Camp Christian "College." This desire to control every. single. thing. that was said about the college was one of the first things that made me uneasy while I was going to school there, long before I really began to actually shed the chains of fundiedom.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130401/NEW ... ck_check=1

Interesting, they have been trying to get control of the site since 2001 and have been ruled against at every single turn. The guy has offered to sell it to them for $75,000 paid to either him or a charity. You'd think if they wanted it badly enough to go up the chain in court (which can't be cheap in lawyer fees), they pay the $75k and call it a day.

That's interesting. Does the guy still consider himself a Christian? Growing up fundie (and attending PCC) we were taught that Christians do NOT sue other believers.

IF he doesn't identify as a Christian, then PCC loses on the whole "turning the other cheek" thing.

That's interesting. Does the guy still consider himself a Christian? Growing up fundie (and attending PCC) we were taught that Christians do NOT sue other believers.

IF he doesn't identify as a Christian, then PCC loses on the whole "turning the other cheek" thing.

Wait, so it's OK to sue a heathen, but not another Christian? Isn't that the kind of double-standard Jesus was saying not to do?

I went to UWF. The only interaction I've ever had with a student from PCC in my four years of living in Pensacola was when they were trying to force chick-tracks on me at the Walmart. I've always been curious about that place since it seems to weird and isolated. Is it true men and women cannot even use the same sidewalk?

Wait, so it's OK to sue a heathen, but not another Christian? Isn't that the kind of double-standard Jesus was saying not to do?

IIRC (and I might be very wrong), there is something in one of the books attributed to Paul to the effect that Christian s should be try to sort out disputes without having to drag each other to court.

IIRC (and I might be very wrong), there is something in one of the books attributed to Paul to the effect that Christian s should be try to sort out disputes without having to drag each other to court.

I think you're right, though I can't cite chapter and verse - hopefully someone else can. I don't know how PCC's denomination (it's a Baptist school, right?) sees it, but even some fairly mainline Christian churches have as part of their doctrine that church members shouldn't sue each other. The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod is one of them. There was actually a pretty major US Supreme Court case last year that involved that particular point of doctrine.

(And yeah, it definitely is a double standard. Rubs me the wrong way because it seems to cut off a person who's been wronged by someone within the church from seeking fair recompense, and puts them at the mercy of the church's internal procedures instead.)

Is it true men and women cannot even use the same sidewalk?

No. They have some crazy tight rules but that one is just a rumor.

The Bible does advise against suing other Christians, but the loop hole here is that 'if they are not OUR flavor of 'Christian' then they are not Christian at all, so sue away!'

I think you're right, though I can't cite chapter and verse - hopefully someone else can. I don't know how PCC's denomination (it's a Baptist school, right?) sees it, but even some fairly mainline Christian churches have as part of their doctrine that church members shouldn't sue each other. The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod is one of them. There was actually a pretty major US Supreme Court case last year that involved that particular point of doctrine.

(And yeah, it definitely is a double standard. Rubs me the wrong way because it seems to cut off a person who's been wronged by someone within the church from seeking fair recompense, and puts them at the mercy of the church's internal procedures instead.)

1 Corinthians 6: 1-7. And, as was pounded in my brain a million times, PCC is NOT baptist. It is non-denominational, although I would wager that 97% of students who attend come from baptist churches. According to the website, "The College serves a constituency of churches across America that is primarily independent Baptist. Faculty, staff, and students attend Campus Church, which operates in the spirit of an independent Baptist church in both faith and practice." BJU is the same, supposed to be non-denominational but pretty much everyone who attends is IFB.

1 Corinthians 6:1-8.

I'm learning so much in Seminary. I'm literally responding to this post WHILE IN New Testament lecture:

6 When any of you has a grievance against another, do you dare to take it to court before the unrighteous, instead of taking it before the saints? 2 Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we are to judge angels—to say nothing of ordinary matters? 4 If you have ordinary cases, then, do you appoint as judges those who have no standing in the church? 5 I say this to your shame. Can it be that there is no one among you wise enough to decide between one believer[a] and another, 6 but a believer goes to court against a believer[c]—and before unbelievers at that?

7 In fact, to have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 But you yourselves wrong and defraud—and believers[d] at that.

No. They have some crazy tight rules but that one is just a rumor.

That version of it is a rumor, but like many rumors it had a bit of truth to it when it started. There used to be areas of sidewalk that were considered "unchaperoned" areas, such as the walkway to the cafeteria and to church and a couple of other places, which meant that guys and girls could walk together but they could not stop and chat because it was considered dating and you couldn't do that unless there were student life people around to ensure that you were being appropriately chaste. :roll: I have been told that they have done away with that rule now, but it was still in effect when I was there.

They DO, however, have separate elevators and staircases for guys and girls in every building, and woe be unto you if you go up the wrong one. Shaking hands with the opposite sex was also not allowed, and I'm sure I'm forgetting others since I'm in a hurry, but yeah. That one particular one might be a rumor but PCC was still a very backwards and sexually repressed place.

That version of it is a rumor, but like many rumors it had a bit of truth to it when it started. There used to be areas of sidewalk that were considered "unchaperoned" areas, such as the walkway to the cafeteria and to church and a couple of other places, which meant that guys and girls could walk together but they could not stop and chat because it was considered dating and you couldn't do that unless there were student life people around to ensure that you were being appropriately chaste. :roll: I have been told that they have done away with that rule now, but it was still in effect when I was there.

They DO, however, have separate elevators and staircases for guys and girls in every building, and woe be unto you if you go up the wrong one. Shaking hands with the opposite sex was also not allowed, and I'm sure I'm forgetting others since I'm in a hurry, but yeah. That one particular one might be a rumor but PCC was still a very backwards and sexually repressed place.

If they can't shake hands, how do they share the sign of the peace during church services? Unless women sit on one side of the aisle and men on the other.

The PCC church (pretentiously named the Crowne Centre) didn't have moments of shaking hands very often, normally only during special services like when high school students were visiting for college days. When they did announce that they were going to have everyone shake hands, they didn't bother to police it. I guess they figured that in an auditorium that seated thousands, and was attended by people from the community as well as all the college students, it would be too difficult. Besides, it would be a bit of a turn off to a potential student to find out that shaking hands was a slippery slope to sex, so all of the rules were relaxed a bit during college days. Can't have any of that precious money getting away, after all.

Besides, it would be a bit of a turn off to a potential student to find out that shaking hands was a slippery slope to sex, so all of the rules were relaxed a bit during college days. Can't have any of that precious money getting away, after all.

I shook hands with my current boyfriend when we first met and now we have lots of sex. If only I had known better.... :doh:

Archived